Richard Preston R.I.P

Richard Preston, founder of Prestons of Potto near Hutton Rudby, died on December 30 aged 81 following a short battle with leukaemia.
R.I.P. Mr Preston.

RIP indeed , a fine firm I believe , is Susan Preston his daughter then ?
All still family owned I think, no big group involvement ?

JFC999:
RIP indeed , a fine firm I believe , is Susan Preston his daughter then ?
All still family owned I think, no big group involvement ?

A widow has paid a loving tribute to the “amazing man” she met through his love of steam engines.

Richard Preston, founder of Prestons of Potto near Hutton Rudby, died on December 30 aged 81 following a short battle with leukaemia.

After “trying to woo Anne for months”, Mr Preston said in an earlier interview with the Gazette that it was when she spotted him with his steam engine Lightning II back in 1957, she started to talk to him - and they were married in 1960.

1957 was a special year for the couple as it was also the year they started up Prestons of Potto.

“My husband has been an amazing man,” said Anne, 77, from Hutton Rudby, who runs the haulage firm with their son, David.

“He founded Prestons of Potto, which is famous around the UK now. We’ve been used for the Olympic Stadium, for Shard in London.

“He has been a great motorcyclist, a great scrambler.

“He was also a brilliant after dinner speaker.

“Everyone knew him. He used to open Yarm Fair every year. He featured on The Dales TV programme.

“But the best thing about him was his wonderful smile and ability to get on with young and old and from all walks of life.”

The Prestons, who also have a daughter Jayne, did not believe in retiring and both continued to work until he was diagnosed with leukaemia in October.

Sad news. One of the old school.
Heartfelt sympathy to Anne and David.

Deepest Sympathies to the family,although we share the same name we never met but everytime I saw one of their trucks I felt proud,my grandfather was also called Richard, regards, Jack Preston. :frowning:

R.I.P. Mr Preston :frowning:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Sad news. One of the old school.
Heartfelt sympathy to Anne and David.

Seconded. Preston’s were, and are, a very decent firm to do business with.

A sad loss to the road haulage industry

Sad news indeed, I have worked for Mr Preston twice, most recently as a part-time/casual, I found him to be a very approachable person and I have a great deal of respect for him, condolences to the family.