RHD ERFs with 5MW cabs

Update: I’ve just found the 4MW thread and ‘ERF’s’ updates as follows:

The 8MW cab was definitely derived from the 7MW, but there is no record of one ever being fitted to a new vehicle.
Just the two loose 8MW cabs at the moment, sent to Belgium.
Then:
UGE 852R is chassis number 33315.
Model - MDC852.080 (66CU310)
■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Cab not recorded (in pen 6MW).
Despatch date - 24th February 1977
Customer - West of Scotland Excavations Ltd. Via dealer Bowen.
The archivist is sure this vehicle went through the hands of Pilikington, but may be mistaken.
RAN 648R is chassis number 33865 and is the very last 6MW built.
Model - MDC852.080 (66CU310)
■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Cab not recorded (in pen 6MW).
Despatch date - 29th March 1977
Customer - Leicester Heavy Haulage Ltd.
Uprated by Cossington Commercials to 121924KG on 29th June 1981

Anorak, I also found that you and I have already been through all this before (! alas we grow older), so here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=114028&hilit=4mw+cabs&start=30

Robert

Just as a matter of interest, this one has changed hands at long last, and having seen it first hand today I can report that it has not been taxed for haulage since 1985 and really is in very good condition for a Motor Panels cab…

flickr.com/photos/106927028 … otostream/

ERF:
Just as a matter of interest, this one has changed hands at long last, and having seen it first hand today I can report that it has not been taxed for haulage since 1985 and really is in very good condition for a Motor Panels cab…

Yes, that’s good news indeed. I did meet him briefly at Gaydon last year at the REVS tent. I’m looking forward to seeing it at one of shows. Robert

ERF:

In ONE word a BEAUTY and I wonder how hard her life has been!
Probably parked under a roof before/after a trip, maintained in
a structural way, kept away from M/E-sand and well worth a job
of preserving for another 40 years! The fact that the cab is quite
good (actually perfect) doesn’t indicate all missing/defunct parts
are easy to get but I wish the new owner a lot of good luck!

Some twenty years ago there would have been some major parts
over here in Belgium after ERF Brussels/Antwerp kept those parts
in stock during so many years.

Luc

If you look back at the previous page to Monday 14th September, I did post this news on there with some photos. It does look to be in good condition. There are many photos of it scattered throughout this thread. Robert

robert1952:
If you look back at the previous page to Monday 14th September, I did post this news on there…

It changed hands last week Robert. I’m not sure if the previous owner is a REVS member as you say, but if he is Bedford’s are apparently more his thing than ERF’s.
It is now in the safe hands of an avid MW enthusiast and restorer, and adding this one brings his total to three of the type I believe.

ERF:

robert1952:
If you look back at the previous page to Monday 14th September, I did post this news on there…

It changed hands last week Robert. I’m not sure if the previous owner is a REVS member as you say, but if he is Bedford’s are apparently more his thing than ERF’s.
It is now in the safe hands of an avid MW enthusiast and restorer, and adding this one brings his total to three of the type I believe.

Ah, this is even better news :smiley: . I most certainly don’t wish to claim better knowledge of this happy course of events. It is often the case that a vintage vehicle passes first through the hands of an intermediary. One can only imagine that one of his other units is the former Read A-series with a 5MW cab; and perhaps the NZ import you once mentioned way back on this thread! We wait with baited breath… Robert :smiley:

newmercman:
I’m probably going to regret this, but Carryfast does have a point.

If ERF had concentrated on a single version of the steel cab for Europe, as they did with the B series for the home market, maybe they would’ve been more successful.

I know the MW in all its incarnations was essentially the same structure, but with all the different versions of it on the market in such a short space of time, with many overlapping each other, it does give the impression of a lack of direction within the company.

The rest of you have my sincere apologies for any nonsense that this post generates.

Keep up the good work chaps, I’m intrigued by all this new information, these ERF threads are turning into proper little gold mines.

just back on site after a rest…we get all these people who know just how to build lorries but none have their name on the front… the only reason so much is known about ERF,s is that theres a good diary of which lorry went where… leyland built lorries for dealers to sell… not ordered for a special job… people moan about cabs that rotted… how many F88 super sweeds do you see that have n’t been welded… just a moment motor panels made the very rust bucket cab the fitted to an ERF that also fitted the guy big J and seddon 13/4 so how was ERF wrong when B/L was correct… some silly T##t said the S P cab was wrong… it was mealy a race safetey cage with panel stuck onto it… that cab come out of test with first class safety results
just thinking on that silly old ERF company was building lorries in 1958 with superchargers… not Mvs or MW but they was building them…
some model cabs only had small changes like headlights and windscreens … many parts which was sourced in from a suppliers… the model wasn’t important to the driver it was for spare parts. without inside information many people wouldn’t know about some changes…Foden, S39 had no interior panels it was bare glass fiber, the later one had insulation and panels but there was no model change…like ERF did.
john

This pic was emailed to me recently. It is apparently a fairly rust-free example near Nelson, NZ. Robert

robert1952:
This pic was emailed to me recently. It is apparently a fairly rust-free example near Nelson, NZ. Robert

Small lamps…

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Small lamps…

Point taken: 3MW then. Robert

Pretty impressive looking five-axle unit here from NZ. For more pictures of this beast at work see page 154 of the ‘Saviem’ thread. Here’s the link. Robert

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109317&start=4590

Could also be the interior of an early 3MW but I assume there will not be that many features extra on the 5MW, please be invited to taake place behind the steering will, fire her up that ■■■■■■■■■■

ERF-Continental:
Could also be the interior of an early 3MW but I assume there will not be that many features extra on the 5MW, please be invited to taake place behind the steering will, fire her up that ■■■■■■■■■■

Oeps, I gave the wrong picture with also a wrong file-name. Perhaps
I can find the appropriate one soon. Look at screenwipers, sorry

ERF-Continental:

Looks like an MV cab to me. Robert

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:

Looks like an MV cab to me. Robert

LV

ERF-Continental:

ERF-Continental:

Oeps, I gave the wrong picture with also a wrong file-name. Perhaps
I can find the appropriate one soon. Look at screenwipers, sorry

I have a severe backlog in scanning documents and filenames of pictures. The next-coming
weeks I will try to get some gems to the open air and public.

LV i would say. the doorframe/footwell shape :question: . :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: - :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: