RHA Proposal re Fuel

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of this proposal by the RHa

Our third proposal is to bring about a significant cash injection into the road transport industry by asking the Chancellor to bring reduce the VAT repayment period for fuel from the current four months to two. Such an action would not only be easy to achieve, it would represent a lifeline for the thousands of hauliers struggling to pay their fuel bills.

I suppose it would effectively be a one off cash injection in that you would all of a sudden get an extra 2 months of VAT back on your fuel. On an ongoing basis I can’t see it making much difference though other than perhaps to ease cashflow by getting you the VAT back sooner.

Paul

Why not a fuel rebate when you fill up
in the UK , as the more money a firm
can save ,this allows them to reinvest
and so save jobs not only in transport
but all the other types of work which
need a strong transport, this must be
fesible,

easyest thing to do is make diesel for commercial vehicles blue in colour and reduce the vat on blue diesel only if it can work with red diesel surely it can work in this case

simplified system is the answer.

All fuel one colour, reducing costs of ‘enforcement’ essential users ie/ business claim a tax rebate, non-essential ie/ Doris going to the shop pay top whack.
Problem… not a vote winner for Gordon ‘dead man Walking’ Brown.

Plus, the reduction in staff on the ‘civil list’ doesn’t fit well with a control freak ideology does it.

Madders :wink:

Smuggle fuel in from Iran it’s only 1p per litre.

madders:
simplified system is the answer.

All fuel one colour, reducing costs of ‘enforcement’ essential users ie/ business claim a tax rebate, non-essential ie/ Doris going to the shop pay top whack.
Problem… not a vote winner for Gordon ‘dead man Walking’ Brown.

Plus, the reduction in staff on the ‘civil list’ doesn’t fit well with a control freak ideology does it.

Madders :wink:

the only trouble with a tax rebate is that my customers would all want a share :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Who exactly wants fuel badly enough to go to a country run by a crazed muslim
dictator andwhat do you say when you get there?
‘How do lad, ahve come for a bit o cheap diesel owd lad’?
Public stoning…not exactly my wish list topper for summer 2008 but you’ve got to keep an open mind. :wink:

madders:
Who exactly wants fuel badly enough to go to a country run by a crazed muslim
dictator andwhat do you say when you get there?
‘How do lad, ahve come for a bit o cheap diesel owd lad’?
Public stoning…not exactly my wish list topper for summer 2008 but you’ve got to keep an open mind. :wink:

get them to stick it in a container. you would’nt catch me anywhere near that place.

if you have to look to that to help you out the job is not worth doing

Point taken Dennis…what happens when Tesco and the other supermarkets know there is a fuel rebate, they will want there cut the same thing will happen in Scotland when the ferry fares get heavily reduced. Will the supermarkets reduce prices in there stores, not on your life…

Carl:
easyest thing to do is make diesel for commercial vehicles blue in colour and reduce the vat on blue diesel only if it can work with red diesel surely it can work in this case

They could, Carl, or even just make red as it allready exists for road transport, and DERV for the rest of the cars vans ect. Too easy though maybe? :laughing:

Borderer…wouldnt work, what would the poor farmers do, and the plant hirers, the farmers would stick together and strike until they got a deal unlike the Haulage Industry !!!

We had this back in the 60/70s..and the irish were suplying the blue dyein a tube, whilst we were running on red..anmd there were plenty of places that were willing to supply you with red diesel..wish i could find them now, cos id use it in my car…