RHA and FTA can kiss my ****

Just read Truck and Driver and the article about the WTD.

The comments of the FTA and RHA speak volumes. Basically they’re chuffed to bits that they’ve managed to get the WTD so watered down as to be pointless. Of course they are…it means their chief contributors can keep them in the lifestyle they’ve become accustomed to.

They don’t give a monkeys about the hundreds of thousands of drivers who are forced to work hours akin to modern day slavery. Its an absolute disgrace. I’d say I hoped the two people quoted can sleep at night but thats pointless because I know they will because they have no conscience and couldn’t give a monkeys about the very people doing the work that keeps them in their posh houses and luxury cars.

Still, nice to see all of the unions saying what a disgrace the whole affair is.

Commenting, the RHA’s Head of Employment, Ruth Pott, said: “Although the Regulations will still require careful management by ALL users of transport, be they drivers, employers or indeed customers, we particularly welcome the flexibility offered by the definition of the periods of availability and the opportunity to extend night-working limits and reference periods.”

I bet you are…

Yeah, but if the bleating of loads of drivers to the sort of phrase, “but if I can’t put the hours in, I won’t get a decent wage” doesn’t doe a thing for the industry, then I don’t know what doesn’t.

Liberace:
Yeah, but if the bleating of loads of drivers to the sort of phrase, “but if I can’t put the hours in, I won’t get a decent wage” doesn’t doe a thing for the industry, then I don’t know what doesn’t.

hear,hear.

The RHA and FTA are organisations run by and to help the PLC hauliers. That why they wanted periods of availibilty so they could run the RDC’s in the same way they have, that is by using small hauliers trucks as free warehouseing and keep drivers waiting for hours without proper facilities.
What did the RHA and FTA have to say about the Fuel protests? Don’t blockade depots and don’t worry because we are in talks with government. Well the blockades acheived more in changing goverment policy in a week than they did in years.

Suprised any one is suprised. :imp:

Well, the RHA and the FTA have got their way- ably assisted by a fair few of the scabs with whom I’m ashamed to say I share a job title.

So we carry on being at the bottom of the pile- long-hours, low-wage unskilled menials. No doubt the PDA are overjoyed.

Coming next- Ruth Pott wonders in amazement why no-one wants to drive a truck for a living any more…

Vince

Trouble is with the WTD…it will affect quite a lot of drivers wages those who do not work for one of the larger logistics suppliers.

You have to feel for all persons involved with this directive from the driver right up to the government minister, as it seems apparent that no one in the chain has a real grasp on what or should be included into the WTD.

From a personal perspective, I do not like being told what hours I can or can not work. Am in a job where I can work 40 or 70 hours a week, and do not want to run a day cab Merc pulling Tesco trailers to make ends meet. Prefer being away from home and having a challenge, which the nature of the beast in road haulage involves long hours…of which I knew that when I took on the job so have to accept the hours.

can you just clarify who you mean by the term “scabs” vince?

Liam:
Trouble is with the WTD…it will affect quite a lot of drivers wages those who do not work for one of the larger logistics suppliers.

If drivers can’t make enough from fewer hours then the pay has to go up or they will go elsewhere. Effcient companies who work for proper rates will survive.

Liam:
You have to feel for all persons involved with this directive from the driver right up to the government minister, as it seems apparent that no one in the chain has a real grasp on what or should be included into the WTD.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what is expected from what I’ve read and by analysing my present hours to work out what comes under WTD and what doesn’t. as an indication my present hours average 55 to 60 hours but normally only 45 hours would be considered working time under WTD. My boss has also made plans, (that was a surprise), but sadly to many companies and drivers still have thier heads in the sand thinking it won’t really happen.

Liam:
From a personal perspective, I do not like being told what hours I can or can not work. Am in a job where I can work 40 or 70 hours a week, and do not want to run a day cab Merc pulling Tesco trailers to make ends meet. Prefer being away from home and having a challenge, which the nature of the beast in road haulage involves long hours…of which I knew that when I took on the job so have to accept the hours.

You are already told what hours you are allowed to work, because of the tahco regs and the changes in them in the near future might have more effect on working hours than the WTD, especially not being allowed to reduce the 45 hour break when at base.

JB:
can you just clarify who you mean by the term “scabs” vince?

Since the Industrial Revolution, working people have fought for better working conditions- naturally, these have always been resisted by employers, for the reasons Conor laid out in the opening post.

The most recent example of this was the WTD, whereby truck drivers were due to have their average weekly hours reduced from 70 to 48, with the resultant massive increases in pay already witnessed by ACC drivers- among many others.

Unfortunately, the WTD is now unlikely to come about, thanks to the efforts of three organisations- the RHA, the FTA, and the PDA.

“Scab” is a term used to denote an employee who prefers to decline improvement in his own working conditions, in order to improve his employer’s personal wealth, because of his deference to his employer.

… “Gaw Bless ya. Guvnor, and all your family” </Tug forelock>

Vince

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: are you on medication? do you really believe “the other site” have influenced the wtd? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … i think your smarter than that vince. the present hours structure works fine for me. nobody ties my arms to a steering wheel and whips me if i work less than 15 hours a day, i do it through choice vince. not yours but were all made different arent we? i`ve worked at acc doing 30 odd hrs a week and didnt like it, i like the variety that comes with tramping. i do the job because i like it, not to make my boss richer, please dont classify me as a “scab” vince. i thought you were better than that.

JB:
:. nobody ties my arms to a steering wheel and whips me if i work less than 15 hours a day, i do it through choice .

You work 15 hours a day.

You then have 9 hours off.

In that time you have to…

Get cleaned up,

Eat,

Relax from your day’s work,

Have a satisfying night’s sleep,

Get up,

Have breakfast,

Prepare yourself for another 15 hour day.

I have no idea how you find the time to do all of this in 9 hours. Personally, I need 8 hours just to sleep…

It’s this that some of us are opposed to. Even 1860’s Alabama cotton-pickers didn’t have to put up with this. And we are supposed to be “professionals”

Anyway, shouldn’t you be somewhere else?

Vince

shouldnt i be somewhere else? why? i like it here too. no need for snidey comments vince. lets be adult eh?

Look Jon, all I am trying to say is that some of us consider our occupation to be a profession.

We earn our bread because of our ability to handle the largest type of vehicle on the road, not because of our willingness to work every hour under the sun.

But as I have said so many times, this is “my opinion only”, so if you have a differing opinion, then Good Luck, and may the Lord’s blessing go with you.

Vince

Not sure where this post is coming from or heading :open_mouth:

But:

Unfortunately, the WTD is now unlikely to come about, thanks to the efforts of three organisations- the RHA, the FTA, and the PDA.

The working time directive is a European law that is already in force for workers, it has still to be introduced to mobile workers (us) and in 90% of cases will not affect many people

Sorry have to agree with JB. I like things just the way they r, and am not subscribing to the majority of this industries work force of being a bunch of whingers…sorry all those who work in supply chain :slight_smile:

Tramping by its nature can not be done in 48 hrs…although am sure someone will set us straight.

Each person is different. The point I am making is…I personally enjoy working (to a degree) and do not like being told I can only do ■■■ hours, would be nice to have a choice rather than being a sheep and doing what big brother states.

How is that better for us as a profession.

wtc maximum 60 hours per week 48 average
graft for 3 weeks have a week off start again
easy if the boss dont like it go to someone else,lets all start practising now…its only 3 month away

Liam:
Tramping by its nature can not be done in 48 hrs.

There will be no option Liam. Tramping will have to be done in 48hrs.
However, that doesn’t mean you won’t still be working 60+hrs a week. Just that 12+ of those hours will have to be “Periods of Availability”, rather than work.

It will be up to your boss to ensure that you get where you want to be, for your W/E breaks, as it should be now. If you have to drive at faster than the speed limit, to get your weeks work done in a week, that is also down to your office not doing their job right.

the wtd will effect every tramper .unless the company and u dont give a (zb)
which i think will hapen with some firms anyway.
and there is a lot of drivers who will falsefy records just becouse they want to,
cos they are in my oppinion not to bright anyway,for example the plonker that tells you hes makeing 550 clear a week ,yes he is 100 of that is nite out money
and also pays his parking if he wants,works 80 hours a week and weekended , :unamused:
i work for a well known uk distribution firm based in aberdeen i do night trunking for them not great money but the job suits at present but i talk to our trampers all the time and feel like giveing them a good hard slap for being such (zb) COMPANY TREATS THEM LIKE ZBS but they are from aberdeen and there is no shortage of drivers up there but plenty of sheep :laughing:
i know plenty of drivers that work for small family firms they are going to go on doing what they are doing so they tell me and no extra money WHY!
apart from being zbs ive no idea.

not very good at writing my thoughts but i do try

if it needs stars or spelling changes to get past the censor it means it’s not allowed :wink: mrs mix