Revised motorway speed limits for buses and coaches

Not sure this will make a great deal of difference to overall travel times, but it will give some more excuse to pull out into the middle lane at the bottom of a long hill :laughing:

busandcoach.com/newspage.asp … tegoryid=0

“Changes are also being made to the rules governing trucks and light goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes GVW.”

that’s the bit i’m interested in.

I don’t think it’s going to make much difference, unless you drive 7.5t vehicles. More information here; dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2010-06/

You can even have your say on the proposals, although to me it seems like more than a paperwork exercise.

leyland510:
I don’t think it’s going to make much difference, unless you drive 7.5t vehicles. More information here; dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2010-06/

You can even have your say on the proposals, although to me it seems like more than a paperwork exercise.

it says in section 4.3. that the eu limiter setting rules for hgv’s and pcv’s is a load of ■■■■■■■■. so they want to put all hgv’s up to 60mph, and all pcv’s up to 65mph.

i’ve just read some more.
what a waste of time. they will change the speed limits, but leave the limiters as they are.
tossers.

if they want to make a change for the better, they should have the same speed limits for all vehicles.

limeyphil:
if they want to make a change for the better, they should have the same speed limits for all vehicles.

That was the sensible original plan - limit all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes including PCVs to 56 mph

if it’s 50,60, or 70mph for cars. then it should be the same for trucks and buses.

The plan addresses an anomaly in current legislation whereby modern coaches fitted with speed limiters are limited to 62.5mph on the motorway while older coaches without speed limiters can legally travel at up to 70mph.

Any coach over 12m (pretty much all of them) has a speed limited of 60mph on the motorway. Only if the coach is shorter than 12m, is it legally allowed to travel at 70 mph. It’s only because of the EU crap they get the speed limiter set to 100 km/h or 62.5mph.

I can see this new law happening, and nothing actually changing. Perhaps when your tacho is due re-calibration they may change the limit to 60 if it’s a truck, or 65 if a coach. Think about this though, taking a truck from 56 to 60 will bring the RPM closer to or even over 1,500. How many companies are going to happily set their trucks to run at a more uneconomical RPM?

if they were that bothered steve-o. they would spec their trucks with the right dif ratios to the type of work they do. they would also look at overdrive ratios.
setting a truck to run at 50mph, when it is designed to run at 56mph, is as unecconomical as setting the same one at 60mph.
look at american trucks 1300 rpm at 65mph.

Steve-o:
Any coach over 12m (pretty much all of them) has a speed limited of 60mph on the motorway. Only if the coach is shorter than 12m, is it legally allowed to travel at 70 mph. It’s only because of the EU crap they get the speed limiter set to 100 km/h or 62.5mph.

Actually, most are 12m long. I’ve driven a few over 12m, usually 12.75m or 15m and I wasn’t even aware that the speed limit was different - Well, shoot me down in ■■■■■■ flames for sitting on the limiter! :blush:

leyland510:

Steve-o:

Actually, most are 12m long. I’ve driven a few over 12m, usually 12.75m or 15m and I wasn’t even aware that the speed limit was different - Well, shoot me down in [zb] flames for sitting on the limiter! :blush:

I always sat on the limiter too. They seem to get massive amounts of over run aswell, much more than an artic at 44t