Review Your Driving Agency/Company. Hold Them Accountable

Hi, it’s been a while since I posted on this board. I’ve recently started to take a good look online to see what jobs are out in the world of Agency driving, or perm job as a driver at your company.

I suggest we as drivers underestimate the power of review sites, to hold our agencies more accountable.

Review sites have been around for a while, and it’s a great way to vent your frustrations, so in a way it is a way of making a public complaint, or compliment, or (objectively) both at the same time.

I personally try to get into the habit of finding reviews before I contact a company of agency for work. As a self confessed habitual complainant, I can assure you companies, and agencies worry about reviews a lot.

Both staff and managers, worry that their position is mentioned in a bad review. Think about that for a moment. Put yourself in their shoes. To an extent, they are accountable (online) for the world to see their transgressions.

The company and agency overall are also concerned, that a bad review will appear in a google search for their contact number, so I suggest you use the word contact in your review, to align it with the google search criteria.

Individually we are just a number, and when raising a complaint, the manager gets on the phone, and makes you feel you are a number, a nobody important to them. Yes, that maybe true, but collectively we are very important.

By collectively I mean adding our nobody numbers together to be a big pain in their derrières.

I use TrustPillot, and Indeed jobs , Google Reviews etc… to post honest and fair reviews.

I believe that there are good staff, mixed in with mean spirited staff, usually it’s the manager that sets the moral tone of your dealings with an agency or company. If there is a lot of bad reviews, then it’s safe to say that the local manager is not the right person to lead the staff, and you should always contact the manager first, and mention your experience with that person, as they have the most to lose in a review.

Staff often hide their darker sides, and watch the manager’s attitude to see where the boundaries are, and then there are little cliques of meaner spirited staff who back each other up in their behaviour towards drivers.

Next year, when the tax laws change, and our income will no doubt fall, there will be a lot of drivers retiring. It will be harder for agencies to recruit staff. I think it’s time we show the agencies that they need to get their act together in advance of this event.

Remember, a whole lot of nobodies adds up to bad stain that can’t be rubbed out. That is definitely a big concern for any company, and would be alarming for any company to have multiple bad reviews. Remember to mention the words contact and manager in your reviews to get maximum value for money.

It’s time we became a little more savvy in using the tools available to us, to effect the industry for the better.

Never used an Agency and never will! Just get a proper job.

Tonyshortstraw:
I use TrustPillot, and Indeed jobs , Google Reviews etc… to post honest and fair reviews.

How do…

I know if the reviews aren’t falsified, written by angry people with a bone to pick or just a pack of lies?

I’ve only used two agencies since passing my class 2 and luckily for me they’ve both been spot on. I’m like the OP though we all should review agencies good or bad so it gives others the wider picture. I’m looking at doing my adr and the amount of agencies advertising LTD rates to make a job look more well is mental.

Sent from my PAR-TL20 using Tapatalk

msgyorkie:

I haven’t…

Had a ‘proper job’ for near on 20 years.

Are you saying, if you got laid off you wouldn’t work agency to pay your bills?

yourhavingalarf:

msgyorkie:

I haven’t…

Had a ‘proper job’ for near on 20 years.

Are you saying, if you got laid off you wouldn’t work agency to pay your bills?

No I do what I have done for the past 30 years…I ring around my contacts and mates and I go knocking on doors to get a Job.
I have never been unemployed in my life.

msgyorkie:
I have never been unemployed in my life.

That makes…

Two of us then.

I’ve never worked for an agency but I certainly wouldn’t discount it if it suited and I wouldn’t belittle those that do. Anyone that goes out an earns a wage is worthy of respect regardless of what job they do.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
I’ve never worked for an agency but I certainly wouldn’t discount it if it suited and I wouldn’t belittle those that do. Anyone that goes out an earns a wage is worthy of respect regardless of what job they do.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

+1…

Apparently though, it’s not a ‘proper job’.

Agencies are parasites that feed on the working mans (and womans) wage.

If you are competent, reliable and look after the kit thats been handed to you then you will never be without a proper job for long. You get a reputation of reliability and your name gets mentioned when “Dead Mans Shoes” type of work comes up.

However I do concede that agencies are there for those that need a short term stop gap to tide themselves over with.

I dont believe in reviews.Looking at some of them you would think the places were Gestapo bases.

Tonyshortstraw:
Next year, when the tax laws change, and our income will no doubt fall, there will be a lot of drivers retiring. It will be harder for agencies to recruit staff.

Those who did it properly with PAYE won’t see their wages fall due to tax and won’t be worried about a letter from HRMC.

Drivers retiring will be replaced by new drivers who are being trained just like now. They were saying drivers would be retiring and causing panic when I started driving in 2015…still not seen it.

As for reviews - most are written either by people with a grudge, people paid to write them, people who work there and want it to sound great or a very tiny % who are bored. The tiny percentage which are legit will be drowned out by the rest.

Personally I got off agency as fast as possible and would try never to use them again, but the ones I was on treated me fairly well and always paid. Just like job security.

Worked for agencies in my 20’s usually in short term warehouse positions (but had a couple of weeks painting and decorating amongst other things) and I guess for some it can work however…(in my opinion) it’s not a long term solution. Our place used to have 5 or 6 agency staff sitting around waiting for cover runs or blowouts, rarely see even one a night now. I may need to commit to going to work every night and plan my time off a week or two ahead but I’ve got job security and although the agency drivers may be on 50p more an hour, we rarely do our contracted hours but still get paid them!

Anyway I realise this has turned into a bit of a agency bashing post which I never intended, so good luck to any agency drivers but it’s not for me.

With advent in April of pay parity I doubt agency drivers are on 50p and hour more than the regular staff. However very few drivers like myself choose to be long term agency drivers, those that come into the job, are generally in between jobs and end up getting the crappy jobs at the bottom of the pile and probably develop a tainted view of agency work.