Reversing onto loading bay in dark

Hello

I’ve not long been driving class 1 I’ve been doing part time driving with a firm who hauls frozen goods to tesco stores on behalf of tesco Avonmouth. I’ve been going out with another driver on Friday nights. I have learned everything about the job such as paperwork, route planning etc but I am struggling with reversing the trailer on the bay in the dark. I have trouble seeing the yellow lines on the floor. Even in the DC I have trouble getting it on the bay when I have all that room.

Yet the tesco drivers seem to get their vehicles on straight away but they don’t always look straight. I always thought that you had to have the trailer wheels in line with the yellow lines.

I would appreciate any help given on this topic because I am really struggling at the moment.

Thanks

Try putting your hazards on, the little extra bit of light helps especially if you don’t have a reversing light. Other than that it’s practice I’m afraid. You have to have the back square on the bay otherwise the ramp won’t go on but it’s not a major issue if the cab isn’t straight for this kind of work more an inconvenience for other drivers.
Take as many goes as you need as long as you don’t hit anything it’s a win :slight_smile:

10-08:
Try putting your hazards on, the little extra bit of light helps especially if you don’t have a reversing light.

Yellow hazard lights also pick up the yellow lines

ROG:

10-08:
Try putting your hazards on, the little extra bit of light helps especially if you don’t have a reversing light.

Yellow hazard lights also pick up the yellow lines

Still better than reversing with no light.

My first Class 1 gig was reversing a fridge onto a bay in a pitch black bay area and the lines didn’t even match up with the bays!! That was hard but some trailers have work lights right at the very back so always use that if it has it, just don’t forget to turn it off. Also use your hazards all times as mentioned as it does help.

simple get out walk round the trl spot markers then reverse.at the same time your looking for hazards …

As for Tosscos Avonmouth you could put your combination across the whole yard and line it up straight to back it on, after all your not short of room there :unamused:

Why can trailer manufacturers or purchasers not equip trailers with secondary lights either underneath or incorporated into the fairings/underrun bars that come in with the reverse lights.
The only trailer I’ve ever seen this on was a dutch W & D.

01andr1d:
I have trouble seeing the yellow lines on the floor. Even in the DC I have trouble getting it on the bay when I have all that room.

Wait till you get to a place where you don’t even get lines. They’re more common than you might think. I’ve had 2 in the last week.

Open both windows, make sure both mirrors are clean, turn off the radio & take it slow, I take a couple of shunts sometimes in the dark, it’s not a race, if it takes you 5 or 10 minutes-‘so be it’, it’s a lot cheaper than scraping down the next trailer-wiping out its curtain in the process !
The more you do it- the easier it gets !

I regally reverse onto bay in the dark with no lines take your time if in doubt get out & look if you can ask for help dont be afraid to I have done in the past

As said it is not a race & you can take as many shunts as you like you have past your test yes it does get easier in time I know but have seen many experienced drivers make a mess of things so dont worry

I alway make sure all my mirrors are clean turn radio down or off hazards on take time if it is not pulling round as I would like put a shunt in or 3

The other is go buy a toy artic & practice reversing that on the floor or on paper marking out bays / roads

Forgot to add- lift your Lift Axle aswell (if your not to heavy) makes it respond Quicker.

martinviking:
Forgot to add- lift your Lift Axle aswell (if your not to heavy) makes it respond Quicker.

That sounds like a good idea. Normally I drive a Volvo FH but the company I drive for has 4 wheeler Volvo FM and the driver I go out with says it is easier to manoeurve a trailer with the FM because it has less wheels so I will definately try that and will use my hazards as suggested.

I really am grateful for all the comments from everyone. I dont mind taking shunts at it I just want to get it on the bay as easy as possible without worrying about it. But I will definetly try all these suggestion on my next delivery.

Thanks

You could try putting your fog lights on that usually helps me.

I sometime turn my headlight down into side lights as well depending on ambient light (too much ambient and it won’t help)

As others have said clean mirrors and open windows help

Also spare a thought for anyone else who might be reversing. Having someone sat behind you with headlights on doesn’t help. I’ll always switch to sidelights so they don’t have any glare in mirrors from me.

m1cks:
Also spare a thought for anyone else who might be reversing. Having someone sat behind you with headlights on doesn’t help. I’ll always switch to sidelights so they don’t have any glare in mirrors from me.

you’ll never be a proper driver. I thought it was law to have at least dipped lights and fogs on to blind any one else trying to reverse.

happysack:

m1cks:

you’ll never be a proper driver. I thought it was law to have at least dipped lights and fogs on to blind any one else trying to reverse.

It is a law - Most commonly referred to as ‘shunters law’