Reversing onto bays

When you’re reversing onto a bay, do you just have to get close or do you keep doing till the trailer hits the dock?
Obviously not ramming the trailer into the dock and damaging stuff.
Never done it so don’t know…

Normally just a gentle bump onto the bay and then a slight roll forward. This is to stop any damage when fork lifts go in and out moving the rear of the trailer up and down against the dock.

A gentle bounce, but have a look at dock first to make sure the buffers are still there!

Spot on. Thanks.

Once on just walk down the back to check the plate will fit and that you don’t have a 4ft gap as I’ve seen a touch and bounce be a foot or more off the bay :wink: :wink: .
Watch out for the BAY BARS on the floor they’ll rip off any trailer skirts you have right off and also will jam a spray flap and rip mudguards off.

What do the bay bars do??

Very very slowly. if you can, use other wagons either side to judge when you are near (bear in mind that not all tractor & trailers are exactly the same length !) once you’ve felt the bump (as m1cks says) roll forward a couple of inches, then go & have a look to make sure that the ramp will land on the deck, if you are too far to one side get back in & move it over a bit, nothing worse than walking all the way round an RDC to the office, only to be told that the ramp won’t go down & you’ve got to go back to move it. Lol.

J_K:

they are normally big YELLOW bars that you get between going on some bays making sure your in line for the plate to enter your trailer.
they look like this …

Ah. Right. I don’t think I’d run one of those bars over. I think my common sense might stop me from doing it but you never know.
I’ve seen bars that look like they stick into the bay and are pushed back by the rear wheel■■?

If you have a trailer with rear barn doors remember to open them before you back onto the loading dock - gets a little embarrassing otherwise !

ROG:
If you have a trailer with rear barn doors remember to open them before you back onto the loading dock - gets a little embarrassing otherwise !

done that :blush: but to be fair I had been driving with a roller shutter door previously

syramax:

ROG:

done that :blush: but to be fair I had been driving with a roller shutter door previously

Ha ha, I’ve done it too. Not because of roller shutters, just through not thinking !!!
Alzheimer’s isn’t far away !

Me to, beautiful blindsider then, DRIVE open the [zb] doors. Fussy some places. :neutral_face:

J_K:
Ah. Right. I don’t think I’d run one of those bars over. I think my common sense might stop me from doing it but you never know.
I’ve seen bars that look like they stick into the bay and are pushed back by the rear wheel■■?

Some do it for a past time :unamused:

Hahahaa.

Had a rigid driver come into work this afternoon.
Wrote off my brothers car as he left. Tail swung around as he pulled forward. Smashed rear quarter, C pillar and ripped the tailgate off…

So I spose accidents happen.
TM said “well he’s ex army. Used to delivery tanks”. Hope he was more careful with them :wink:

nick2008:

J_K:

they are normally big YELLOW bars that you get between going on some bays making sure your in line for the plate to enter your trailer.
they look like this …

Bananas is another name for them, just watch your rear spray suppressions/mudflaps don’t get torn off.

Watch height if you have a skelly & container,they’re higher & often don’t bump until it’s gone through shutter !

Easier said than done at times rolling over them as you may see if you look close at some as some are down to the bare metal

Not so easy in the dark & yep open doors before backing onto bay although I normally leave mine till as late as poss but in my defence I do have a fridge unit :laughing:

Slowly does it most places you can nearly back onto bay before opening doors

I much prefer bays to have bananas, something to aim at. Those ones above are ideal as they’re fairly low. Saw some on Magna park last week and they were about 2 foot high. Good luck driving over those :grimacing:

No wonder half of our rear bars are bent to ■■■■.