Reversing exersise

Hi guys started me training on the monday with roadtrain in south mimms services.

Yesterday went pretty smoothly for first run out in a artic, But today im having major difficulties with the reversing anybody got any tips for me to help me out?

Thanks
Dave

I think its fair to say this is the part most people struggle with, I can’t really offer any tips personally but practice is the only way to perfect it. I’m sure after a few more lessons you’ll get it.

My driving instrustor taught me the basics by reversing in a straight line! He told me if you see more of the trailer in your right mirror turn to the right and so on with the left, i know its sounds silly but worked for me! :slight_smile: :blush: :confused:

acarlin1:
My driving instrustor taught me the basics by reversing in a straight line! He told me if you see more of the trailer in your right mirror turn to the right and so on with the left, i know its sounds silly but worked for me! :slight_smile: :blush: :confused:

I was taught exactly the same thing.

Yer guys he has said that cant fault the instucter hes doing the best he can with a numty like me, when i think its hooking left i end up going right or vice vers . we are having another go tomorrow so will try and relax a bit more got very stressed that i could not do it :blush:

Davey Boy:
Hi guys started me training on the monday with roadtrain in south mimms services.

Yesterday went pretty smoothly for first run out in a artic, But today im having major difficulties with the reversing anybody got any tips for me to help me out?

Thanks
Dave

Listen to your instructor and try try try. If they’re any good, they’ll teach what you need to know to pass. You just need a few goes at it. Personally I was god awful and nearly failed on it. Now I blindside without a second thought :wink:.

Oh no, I wish I hadn’t said that, que tomorrows story :open_mouth::lol:.

Cheers

Ian.

Hi Davey Boy as I haven’t yet had the pleasure of
reversing a artic yet the only advice I can give is keep
the manoeuvre slow enough so you can correct it if you
need to and good luck with the rest of the training :smiley: .

The thing to remember is to turn the wheel towoards the mirror the trailers turning into. So if you see the trailer turning into the drivers side mirror, turn wheel towoards it to straighten up, if you see what I mean :wink:. Thought that might be a bit more help :unamused::lol:.

convoy:

Having recently been through my class 1 (Failed but not on the reverse) I have to agree with convoy, keep it nice and slow, don’t use the throttle but come back on tick over. There is no time limit on the excercise.

The other thing I was taught was to just make small movements on the wheel once you have got the trailer past the cone. Quarter of a turn of the wheel at a time at the most.

Just relax and enjoy it.

sniper:

convoy:

Having recently been through my class 1 (Failed but not on the reverse) I have to agree with convoy, keep it nice and slow, don’t use the throttle but come back on tick over. There is no time limit on the excercise.

The other thing I was taught was to just make small movements on the wheel once you have got the trailer past the cone. Quarter of a turn of the wheel at a time at the most.

Just relax and enjoy it.

Spot on Sniper - nice and slow and small inputs, watching the trailer all the time, you will get to the point with practice where you can tell if it is going enough once its travelled 12-18 inches so you will have plenty of time to adjust the wheel to point it where you want it, Practice, Practice, Practice - thre is no substitute. Good luck with the remainder of the course and the test. :smiley: :smiley:

As has been said, just take it slow and steady. You only have to watch the drivers who race at reversing, they are the ones who have to take 4 or 5 shunts to get it straight, the drivers who take it slow and steady get it done in one.

don’t know if this’ll be of any help but when trying to come to terms with the change in reversing from a rigid to an artic i found that if i imagined the trailer being my rigid and the unit as the front wheels, which i suppose in theory it is, i could put the trailer anywhere i wanted, sort of steer to move the unit which in turn controlled the trailer, rather than steer to move the trailer, probably sounds a load of crap but it worked for me.

Thanks for all the help guys will take it on board and try to do it better tomorrow .

:smiley:

I’m sure someone here had a toy (sorry, model) truck that they used to practice with. Said it helped get the hang of what was happening (and why) when the steering wheel was turned.

Good luck with your training Davy boy. I still make a pigs ear reversing my little yellow Fiat Cinqucanto sometimes so god only knows how i manage to reverse a class 2 each day :open_mouth:

There is plenty of advice on both these forums, and the old forums, if you search back.

Additionally, someone :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: has posed a similar question on another forum here, which has prompted some useful advice.

As to the question, “Is TNUK not good enough?”, :smiley: I think we’ll gloss over that one. :blush: But the lack of allegiance has not gone unnoticed. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jaycool007:
Good luck with your training Davy boy. I still make a pigs ear reversing my little yellow Fiat Cinqucanto sometimes so god only knows how i manage to reverse a class 2 each day :open_mouth:

I never could and still can’t reverse a car properly, I’d rather go backwards in a lorry any day. :laughing:

one thing i use for reversing similar to the mirror thing is

Which ever way the BOTTOM of the sterring wheel is going is the way the trailer is going to go :smiley:

Bones:
one thing i use for reversing similar to the mirror thing is

Which ever way the BOTTOM of the sterring wheel is going is the way the trailer is going to go :smiley:

How does that work Bones :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

simple you turn the steering wheel anti clock the bottom is going to the right so thats the way the trailer will go. you turn it clockwise and it goes to the left so thats the way the trailer will go…Try it.!!!

I find myself having a quick “sanity” check look every reverse just to make sure im steering the right way :blush: