Reversing assessment

Would this be bad? Or does it really matter? If all those tyre tracks were mine?

Quite a few shunts etc and lots of moving around from left to right. If it’s an artic you need to give the trailer more time to react before making an adjustment.

If i’d been in a Daf the surface would have been rutted and potholed by the time i got it backed in.
Don’t ask me why, i can’t reverse the bloody things for toffee.

Conor:
. If it’s an artic you need to give the trailer more time to react before making an adjustment.

Going left to right (normal to blindside to normal back to blindside) surely that’s indicative of leaving it too long, not catching it in time?

Juddian:
If i’d been in a Daf the surface would have been rutted and potholed by the time i got it backed in.
Don’t ask me why, i can’t reverse the bloody things for toffee.

Kind of you to say, even if I doubt the veracity of it. [emoji4]

In a similar vein, is there any possibility that a '14 plate DAF XF would not be able to lift its midlift? Or would it just be operator error failing to do so?

If it’s one of those mirror cams I just lean out the window all the way to the dock. They are just useless.

stu675:
Going left to right (normal to blindside to normal back to blindside) surely that’s indicative of leaving it too long, not catching it in time?

Not from what I saw the other night. One of our subbies was trying to reverse into a bay, big yard, big clearly marked out bays well lit with a good couple of feet either side of the trailer in each bay so basically a gap 8ft wider than his trailer. Was forever adjusting his steering, not giving it time to react so the trailer was cutting in too sharp then he was having to try to catch it so the movements were similar to those marks in the photo above. I waited and he stopped to let me past after a few minutes. I pulled alongside him and got him to wind down his window to tell him what he was doing wrong, that he needed to let the trailer react first before putting on more lock or taking lock off. Was surprised to find one of Wincanton’s finest driver trainers sat in the passenger seat doing sweet f.a. So there I am giving a new driver effectively a lesson on how to reverse whilst the person who should be training him is just sitting there like a zombie. Can only guess he can’t reverse either if he couldn’t work out what was going on and didn’t see a problem.

Conor:
[, that he needed to let the trailer react first before putting on more lock or taking lock off. .

Ok thanks, that’s clearer. Will try and bear in mind.

Ngl…

It does look like the floor of the cop being strangled scene in No Country for Old Men.

yourhavingalarf:
Ngl…

It does look like the floor of the cop being strangled scene in No Country for Old Men.

Harsh!..but fair[emoji6]

If I’d thought it was acceptable, I wouldn’t have posted it.

Such a good film. youtu.be/Z_9KNP9I6YA

That was…

The link I thought about posting.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended.

As for reversing, if you’re on the bay, under the crane or inches from the side of the ferry, you’ve done what you were paid to do. Don’t overthink it and as has been said here so many times, the set up is more important than the reverse itself.

Are the yards that you go to large enough to enable you to reverse back in a straight line? Or are they small where you’re forced to reverse 45 degrees or even 90 degrees from the bay?

Do you stick your head out the window to look back or do you solely rely on your mirrors?

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Marky-p:
Are the yards that you go to large enough to enable you to reverse back in a straight line? Or are they small where you’re forced to reverse 45 degrees or even 90 degrees from the bay?

Do you stick your head out the window to look back or do you solely rely on your mirrors?

The problem with this one was it was about the second last bay with the room in front narrowing as you get to the edge of the yard, but I still wanted to practice a blindside. Most of the yards are so easy that I’m not getting enough practice at the harder ones.

stu675:

Marky-p:

The problem with this one was it was about the second last bay with the room in front narrowing as you get to the edge of the yard, but I still wanted to practice a blindside. Most of the yards are so easy that I’m not getting enough practice at the harder ones.

The only thing I can say with my limited experience with blindsides is that after a good setup, I tend to use the smaller blind spot mirror to see where the back of the trailer is generally going, sounds obvious I know.

As long as no puppies or children were hurt during the manoeuvre, put your feet up and chill :blush: