Reversing Artics

Is it something that’ll just ‘click’ 1 day? Because at the moment I can’t reverse for ■■■■. In services I’ll try find 3 bays, to give me room to play with. Even then it takes a few shunts. Must be funny to watch though. :smiley:

Yeah. Its almost like a lightbulb moment going off in your head. And once it clicks, you wonder whatever the problem was before. Took about 6mths after passing for me!! Id say the main thing you improve on is starting position, makes a massive difference. Still have the odd day tho where it all goes to pot!

Cheers. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thought it may be the case. Luckily I’m on nights for a couple of months, so not as many people about to get in the way.

Have a look at this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EkoMib4q4Y makes a lot of sense and might just help :slight_smile:

Rat67:
Have a look at this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EkoMib4q4Y makes a lot of sense and might just help :slight_smile:

Cheers Rat67
35 minutes? :open_mouth: Will watch it later. After struggling to get in a parking bay.

I think at moment I’m putting in too much steering. So can work the theory side and picture, just struggling to put it into practice at moment.

theantbox:

Rat67:

Cheers Rat67
35 minutes? :open_mouth: Will watch it later. After struggling to get in a parking bay.

I think at moment I’m putting in too much steering. So can work the theory side and picture, just struggling to put it into practice at moment.

Probably, that’s what we all do :grimacing:

Remember, less is more…starting position is half the battle, small increments of steering, and slooooooowly does it. Most importantly, if in doubt get out and look! better to look a bit of a plonker, with no damage, than a lot of a plonker after hitting a building cos a .com van was in your way :smiling_imp:

Conan the Librarian:

theantbox:

Rat67:

Cheers Rat67

Probably, that’s what we all do :grimacing:

Remember, less is more…starting position is half the battle, small increments of steering, and slooooooowly does it. Most importantly, if in doubt get out and look! better to look a bit of a plonker, with no damage, than a lot of a plonker after hitting a building cos a .com van was in your way :smiling_imp:

I’ve been watching the other kings of the road backing into bays. They make it look soooo easy. Yeah, I spend more time out the cab than in. Move back an inch, jump out for a look, jump back in, move back another inch… Then when I’m near, shunt forward. Then realise I’m not as near as I thought.

As for starting position, I keep forgetting about the overhang and length of the the thing, so again, stop, select reverse, go back 2 inch and realise I didn’t go far enough forward to begin with! Doh!!! :confused:

I will get it eventually though.

As for the Dozy reference, where I drop the trailer I take down to Bristol, the yard is big enough to get a straight reverse. So easyish. :sunglasses:

And from when I passed my test last month, my willy did grow when I first climbed in to the cab of a proper truck. Then shrunk smaller than its van driving size when I to reverse. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush:

If you think your struggling watch the video of the Stobart driver reversing down the M6 toll road,you’ll feel much better :blush:

All about the starting position. An old hand taught me in a tight little yard, where you had no chance if the start wasn’t right. Do the leg work while going forward. Try and get the trailer almost lined up with the position you’re aiming for, and get the unit at an angle that will push it in. No need for any excessive steering, just ease off lock and follow the trailer in

ive been driving artics about 5 months now. mainly doing multidrop pallets. the gig itself is horseshot but it doesnt half teach you how to reverse quickly. i still get it wrong every now and then and im no expert. but i reverse better that a few of the trunkers we have.

biggest thing ive learned is starting position is key. without that is gonna go to pot. but also go slow ad sod everyone else. whack your “look at me im a truck driver lights on” (hazards) and take all the time you need. slower is faster. ive also noticed hanging my head out the window makes it easier.

try and chill out and itll come to you. ask your gaffer to send you to the tighter places more often for the practice.

good luck bud

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chainmailguy:
ive been driving artics about 5 months now. mainly doing multidrop pallets. the gig itself is horseshot but it doesnt half teach you how to reverse quickly. i still get it wrong every now and then and im no expert. but i reverse better that a few of the trunkers we have.

biggest thing ive learned is starting position is key. without that is gonna go to pot. but also go slow ad sod everyone else. whack your “look at me im a truck driver lights on” (hazards) and take all the time you need. slower is faster. ive also noticed hanging my head out the window makes it easier.

try and chill out and itll come to you. ask your gaffer to send you to the tighter places more often for the practice.

good luck bud

No chance of anywhere different for time being. We only have a handful of artic runs. More rigid runs. But its all good. I’ll keep practicing in services and looking like a ■■■ for now. So if anybody sees me Micheal Wood or Gloucester Services, I won’t be offended if you come over and laugh.

theantbox:

Overthinking it and not giving the trailer time to react before putting in more steering input.

Conor:

theantbox:

Overthinking it and not giving the trailer time to react before putting in more steering input.

Exactly.

It makes a hell of a difference if you are taught properly in the first place. Unfortunately some instructors do not have the patience or the know how themselves. I have even come across some that cannot reverse well themselves.
Of course a lot depends on the student. If he or she struggles going forwards there is very little time left for reversing.
But of course most pick it up as they go along. Some a lot quicker than others. And then we have the ones that will always be useless or should that be brainless. :smiley:

chainmailguy:

good luck bud

Hazard warning lights when reversing. Tut Tut.

Albion - at loads of RDC’s the hazards have to be on from the second you go through the gate. Sort of defeats the object IMHO.

Make sure your mirrors are spotless, and adjusted to help you (especially blindsiding).

Nice and slow to give the trailer time to react. Imagine driving out from between two parked trailers, and try and picture the line you would take. Then try and reverse it back on that line.

As others have said, starting position is key. Usually if a driver is struggling a tad, another driver soon helps out. We have all been there chap!

Get out and look if u aint sure, most drivers prefer to look and laugh or video it for oldefacething

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk