Reversing an artic in the semi real world

Im lucky enough that the places i have gone have huge great yards with enough space to spin the artic round so you can always do a good side reverse and more or less put the trailer inline with the bay/slot. So far through being a newbie i havent managed to do that yet so i always need to aim the trailor a little.

Kinda difficult to explain my actions but this is what i try and do.

lets say i am to far over to the left so i need the tail of the trailer to go to the right. I put left hand down/right hand up until the trailer is pointing where i want it to. then i put full right hand down/left hand up to get the cab inline with the trailer. once in line i center the steering wheel and try to push the trailer back in a straight line (more luck than judgement). Once i think i am far enough back i then try and square off the trailer by right hand down/left hand up as quickly as possible ie almost full lock then obviously the opersite amount of lefthand down/right hand up to bring the unit inline with the trailer. I know i am steering in the right direction as the trailer does what i want it to do as far as direction of turn however after all the huffing and puffing and banging and flying coffee cups etc I am back where i bloody started ie .too far over to the left.

As to the flying coffee cups and banging when ever i reverse i always seem to end up with the unit at a steep angle to the trailer then the how lot starts jumping up and down. I was told that its somthing to do with the lift axel being a fixed axel rather than being a steering axel but even when i lifted it it still bangs and thumps.

what the hell am i doing wrong (apart from trying to do this/ being a muppet)

Practise

When you are half way in there, have a shunt and just use minimal steering input. If you`re giving it handfuls, start again.

Franglais:
When you are half way in there, have a shunt and just use minimal steering input. If you`re giving it handfuls, start again.

+1…

Big handfuls equals bigger handfuls to get back what you put in.

Set up is THE most important part of a tight reverse, if there is room, take it.

In some cases, a blindside will be waaaay easier than 99 shunts on your good side. Work smarter not harder.

It is difficult to practice. Smooth confident reversing just comes over time.

What you’re doing wrong is overthinking everything.

Theres a balance to be had between wanting to do things properly/right/without damage and fretting about everything.

Just be aware of too violent movements when the trailer is at 90’ to the tractor, the trailer is at that point literally an oversized Reliant Robin only worse because the fifth wheel at that point is a free moving pivot, a quick search on YT will provide footage of such maneuvers ending in disaster as the whole load starts to shift into the curtain and takes the trailer over with it.

At a 90’ turn the axles (no matter how many above 1 or on the ground and bearing weight) are no longer turning but being dragged across the surface, if the surface is especially grippy you end up with the tyres skidding/jumping/juddering, if you lift off at that point the bend in the tyres can pull you back several yards, same if you’r reversing, if 90’ angle much of the power you apply is tken by bending the tyres, if you lift off and then restart you are having to overcome the pressure of those now bent tyres wanting to drag you forwards.

Best to avoid tight U turns if you possibly can and whenever possible to use any available space to make yourself as straight as possible with as fewer tight turns as possible whilst still going forwards, this might mean going for a very slight blind side reverse (liitle more than a minor steering adjustment needed) instead of a tyre ripping U turn to go in on your own side with less room to play with, every single maneuver will be different so judge each one on its merits.

Lowest gear possible, learn the vehicle you are in intimately.
It might be a simple ZF box with an obvious Maneuver mode, it might be a Scania where once you select R you can keep pressing R repeatedly and pass through several settings until you find Rm comes up on the dash, now you’re on maneuver mode.

If you have a 3 axle tractor, get in the habit of transferring the weight from the mid lift (usually) onto the drive axle when maneuvering, might be an upside down umbrella on the dash switch, on MAN’s there are two axle switches which annoyingly look almost the same…the one nearest the ASR/TC (anti skid/traction control) button is the weight transfer button, the one on its own further along is the axle lifter button which will have no effect if heavily loaded.

You’ll find the tractor unit much more responsive with better grip and will trun easier with weight transferred onto the drive axle, its one less axle you’ll need to drag sideways, MAN and DAF tractors will actually lift the mid lift after about 20 seconds even fully loaded if you use the weigh transfer button, Scannias won’t but will often show you the weights being transferred on the dash, don’t know about other makes so much these days.
Note, think of the implications for slippery conditions that judiscious use of the weight transfer button has for you.
Also if grip becomes and issue even then, you might find that as soon as the tractor unit senses loss of drive axle grip it will cut the power, if this causes problems press the ASR or TC switch, this should bring a light or '‘offroad’ message on teh dash, you’ve now disabled ASR/TC and the vehicle won’ty cut power if one drive wheel starts to slip.

Sadly you’ll find yourself in a tiny and ever shrinking minority using such advantages as weight transfer and TC/ASR to aid maneuvers or grip.

Gentle progressive throttle action is the key, control the feed in of power with the handbrake as against relying on the auto hold facility…back luck if its one of the unfit for lorry use electric park brakes that no one asked for.

Its lots of practice thats needed, i’m merely pointing out the dangers of hard turns with violent inputs of power and braking.
The weight transfer and TC stuff is getting a bit complicated (or maybe my poor explanations are) but worth noting because at some points you’ll come up to situations where using such devices makes the difference to you getting in or out.

the unit is a merc. I must admit to just flicking the change on the lever to reverse although i have seen at different times it comes up on the dash crawler engaged of words to that effect.

when i was getting the truck ready and doing my checks etc ready for when the guy i was shadowing came in i pressed one button to lower the axel on the unit but it didnt do anything. I was told that was for somthing else and should only be used when reversing i wanted the one above it. I cant find pics of the buttons but i assume its the one i want that Juddian has described.

edit to add found this if the link works the buttons i am on about are between the diff lock? and lane departure buttons

ebay.co.uk/itm/174947979295 … 3Bchoc%3A1

Modern Mercs might as well be from another planet, last one i drove had no weight transfer button as such that i could find.

That button looks like the standard axle up axle down button as found on many makes, but will have to leave it to others to tell you better.
and/or IF you can find a drivers manual for the thing have a good peruse of it at your leisure.

Bloke with you sounds about as much use a chocolate teapot, is he supposed to be helping or mentoring you, in which case he should be helping you with such things, telling you it should only be used for reversing tells you nothing.

If you have the midlift up on a modern Merc, you will have this yellow warning light permanently on the dashboard.

thats the light i get when the axel is up so to raise or lower it i press the top button but not noticed what happends to the light if i press the bottom button . The bottom button as i said is used wen reversing as it takes the strain off the axel/tyres apparently. Guessing here but am i right in assumeing this is the weight transfer button?

cooper1203:
thats the light i get when the axel is up so to raise or lower it i press the top button but not noticed what happends to the light if i press the bottom button . The bottom button as i said is used wen reversing as it takes the strain off the axel/tyres apparently. Guessing here but am i right in assumeing this is the weight transfer button?

It will be the same button, not the top or bottom as they will be for different functions. It will be the same button but the switch will function for both up and down. The light will be on if axle is up and not on if its down.

Axle lift has a picture on it something like the photo.

Weight transfer has something like a picture of an axle with a weight symbol on it or similar.

Axle lift is fine if running light.

Weight transfer can be used. It drops air resistance out of lift axle suspension and transfers more weight to the drive axles. Its primarily used for incidences of low traction (mud/gravel/wet inclines etc).

cooper1203:

edit to add found this if the link works the buttons i am on about are between the diff lock? and lane departure buttons

ebay.co.uk/itm/174947979295 … 3Bchoc%3A1

Yes, the uppermost button is the lift axle up/down control, the lower button is the weight transfer one.

The lift axle will only lift if the trailer/load is fairly light, while the weight transfer button will operate regardless of load.

Once lifted, the lift axle stays lifted until additional load is added (or the driver manually cancels it), but the weight transfer function deactivates once a certain speed is reached.

There is an phone App version of the driver manual for most models of Mercedes trucks - I had it on my phone when we had one on hire for a while.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I have no…

Idea how these ‘view from above’ systems work.

digoptions.com.au/3d-360-de … for-passen

(I’ve just randomly chosen one from Google to demonstrate)

Is there a use for this in our industry?

16:10…

How to blindside.

youtube.com/watch?v=hUM-nCv3XQw&t=995s

cooper1203:
Im lucky enough that the places i have gone have huge great yards with enough space to spin the artic round so you can always do a good side reverse and more or less put the trailer inline with the bay/slot. So far through being a newbie i havent managed to do that yet so i always need to aim the trailor a little.

Kinda difficult to explain my actions but this is what i try and do.

lets say i am to far over to the left so i need the tail of the trailer to go to the right. I put left hand down/right hand up until the trailer is pointing where i want it to. then i put full right hand down/left hand up to get the cab inline with the trailer. once in line i center the steering wheel and try to push the trailer back in a straight line (more luck than judgement). Once i think i am far enough back i then try and square off the trailer by right hand down/left hand up as quickly as possible ie almost full lock then obviously the opersite amount of lefthand down/right hand up to bring the unit inline with the trailer. I know i am steering in the right direction as the trailer does what i want it to do as far as direction of turn however after all the huffing and puffing and banging and flying coffee cups etc I am back where i bloody started ie .too far over to the left.

As to the flying coffee cups and banging when ever i reverse i always seem to end up with the unit at a steep angle to the trailer then the how lot starts jumping up and down. I was told that its somthing to do with the lift axel being a fixed axel rather than being a steering axel but even when i lifted it it still bangs and thumps.

what the hell am i doing wrong (apart from trying to do this/ being a muppet)

In my opinion the best thing you can do mate is try not to overthink it. You can take all the advice in the world off other drivers, watch all the videos on youtube and all it’ll do is cause you to overthink. Nobody is born being able to reverse, take as much time as you need, get out as many times as you need, don’t hit anything and I can 100% guarantee you that one day you’ll wake up and just be able to do it without thinking - might take a month might take 6 but it will happen!

Lots of good advice here that I cant disagree with, but another tip for you to try is looking out the window at the trailer tyres contacting the ground, then mentally picture the path they have to take to get onto the bay (or wherever you want the thrailer to go), Ideally a nice gentle curve, but the tighter the curve the more work you have to do with the steering wheel, and the greater the swing out of the back end. (and dont forget the opposite front corner!)

At the end of the day you’ll have to figure out what works for you. Remember though, it’s not a race, so dont rush it. If you find yourself frantically turning the wheel then you’re going too fast.

yourhavingalarf:
I have no…

Idea how these ‘view from above’ systems work.

digoptions.com.au/3d-360-de … for-passen

(I’ve just randomly chosen one from Google to demonstrate)

Is there a use for this in our industry?

Yes I think they’re brilliant especially if you’re delivering to places with lots of people, such as supermarkets (the anakker ones where you tip in the car park etc)

The o/p is perhaps looking at the back of the trailer rather than the wheels for alignment with the slot he needs to be in. Fair enough you need to be aware of where the trailer is to avoid hitting anything, but looking at the back doesn’t assist you with getting where you need to be.

The middle wheel is where the pivot point is on a tri-axle trailer. If your wheel is in the correct place, then it is a case of straightening up. It is difficult to straighten up perfectly every time, so the process often involves a few steers and possibly a shunt.

Have a look at trailers on other bays where you are. How much room is there between the painted lines and the wheels? If you check this you will know where your middle wheel needs to be.

Only other thing I would say is to use all the room you have and pull right forward. You can sort out your alignment in a shorter space, but if you have the space then you don’t need to.