Reversing a Rear Steer

Got my first job and had my first trip out the other day, however it is with a Rear steering tanker.

Going forwards I seem to be doing okay, however when it comes to backing it up, I seem to be having a complete nightmare compared to reversing the fixed axles I learnt in. It just seems to be everywhere, anybody got any tips?

Also the tanker seems to be most unstable when half full, is it just a case of being as smooth as possible when half full or is there anything else I can do?

Never driven a tanker.But have rear steers before.Although i’m not sure if they all lock.But the ones i’ve used have…Normally when you put it in reverse.Need to be straight for this i think.If it does’nt lock automatically then there might be a button to pull out on the trailer somewhere to lock it off.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They definitely weren’t locking when I was driving, the back end was stepping out like mad. I was pretty straight I thought will have to try and get straighter.

Active or Passive steer?

Passive are definitely lockable they will either auto lock when you engage reverse or you can pull a valve button (same sort as the trailer park brake) located somewhere down either side of the trailer (on the Lawrence Davids they were more towards the rear) either way the steered trailer wheels MUST be completely straight and lined up with the ones on the other two axles first.

If it’s active then they tend to mechanically steer whether going forwards or backwards via a device that snugs into the fifth wheel behind the trailers king pin, these I believe cannot be turned off but they do not turn willy nilly like the passive ones will if they are not locked.

A tip for the passive steers is if you can see the yard you are about to manoeuvre around in is tight, manually lock the steer axle BEFORE you pull into the yard, as that may well be the last opportunity you have of being lined up straight before going in.
Just remember to disengage the lock after you’ve finished at that delivery as the boss tends to get a bit ■■■■■ when all that money he spent having the steer axles to save tyre scrub wear (and it does save them) gets left locked and defeating the object of having them in the first place. :laughing:

Never driven tankers so can’t help there but with the steer trailers when I was starting out I just found you had to pay a lot more attention to where the trailer is going and where you want it to be whilst still carrying out all round observation etc. It takes a bit of time but you’ll get it [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankers are at their least stable when only partly full as the liquid has room to slosh about and the chances of a rollover are greatly increased. So steady as she goes when driving a part full tanker.

Completely or nearly full/empty tankers are much more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few rear steer posts on here.
That said when I used to drive our 33ft’s were rear steers and tbh they are a pita to start with but once you are used to them you will be surprised where you can put one.
Reversing one is one golden rule Don’t Rush it if you do it will tie you inside out in no time,easier to show than explain but where a non steer you would keep the trailer turning to get in somewhere with a steer trailer keep it turning then take the lock off and slowly reverse watching where you need to be if your in follow it in or put a bit more lock on,trying to put enough lock on to start with will send the trailer too far round and will need to pull out to straighten it out before trying again.
Hope this helps.

Usually there is a button on the trailer to lock the axles. I pull milk tanks when there full there nice to pull get a half loaded one and as soon as you get the tank to settle there is some to cut you up

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if it is passive or active, to me it seems more aggressive than passive! Will have to ask next time and make sure that I am getting the wheels straight and then locking them.

I am mostly doing residential streets with a rear steering axle so seem to have thrown myself in at the deep end, but am really loving it at the same time, just the reversing is frustrating! I think I am just over steering and not taking my time enough, will get the hang eventually I hope!

Cheers for the rips everyone.

JakeWS:
I’m not sure if it is passive or active, to me it seems more aggressive than passive! Will have to ask next time and make sure that I am getting the wheels straight and then locking them.

I am mostly doing residential streets with a rear steering axle so seem to have thrown myself in at the deep end, but am really loving it at the same time, just the reversing is frustrating! I think I am just over steering and not taking my time enough, will get the hang eventually I hope!

Cheers for the rips everyone.

Over steering a rear steer will tie you in knots sharpish,look at where you need to be think how much lock you need for a non steer then put half the lock and reverse in SLOWLY they have a tendency to not steer then go round on a sixpence.where you would bend a non steer into somewhere try and keep a rear steer straight as you can where it allows.

Think most important thing is to take your time. When reversing a rear steer control your speed and you’ll find that you can anticipate its direction after a few tries. Amazing where you can put them.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk