REverseing

Hi i need some helpfull tips for lineing up my trailer for a reverse i can drive the bendys ok but when i get back to yard i might have to park on a bay or in the the trailer bays i just cant figure out where i should be pointing my unit to get trailer to go back without me doing several shunts :blush:

Come on guys show me the way

COME ON DAVEYBOY get a grip pal.you have done the worst bit the test,
the rest should be a peice of cake.
vig

test is easy compared to this , i just cant line the thing up looking for helpfull hints to point me in right direction.
hows your driving going vig :question:

Davey Boy:
i just cant figure out where i should be pointing my unit to get trailer to go back without me doing several shunts :blush:

You and me both. :smiley:

It’s not where you point the unit that is important. It is where you point the trailer. Normal spaced bays with plenty of room in front. Approach with the bays on the right and about half a vehicle width away from any other vehicles then, on reaching the middle of the bay past the one you want, hard left without changing speed, and then change locks until you can see the offside of the trailer in your mirror. Hopefully :unamused: at this point the trailer will be at 15-25 degrees to the line of the bay. Straighten the steering as you push back and then follow the trailer.

Alternatively, if you are ‘tight’ on room. Stay parallel to the bays but about 3/4 of a trailer length away from them. As you start to move back, imagine a line on the yard that follows a quarter circle to where you want to be. Cheat! Use debris, tarmac lines, potholes, anything you can see that would fall on that imaginary line, and use them as targets.

It won’t mean that you will take any fewer shunts. It will simply mean that you demonstrate them more confidently. :smiley:

will print it off and try it out when im next on if sucsessfull will call it the krankee shunt lol :smiley:

Another thing to remember is when you are lined up to the bay and trying to keep the combination straight, use both mirrors little and often, same as for steering corrections.

Without getting too technical (and geeky!), think about the ‘picture’ you see in the mirrors and remember the 3D effect. Don’t be drawn into getting one side of the vehicle ‘in line’ with the bay/lane-lines as you look in the mirror. Because of the 3D effect the bay lines must appear to be closer to the rear of the trailer than to the front. The best example of this is to look at the ‘picture’ in each mirror when you collect the vehicle from parking space/loading bay; you will see the effect that I am refering to.

A ‘rule of thumb’ to keep in mind is to keep a balanced picture in both mirrors, not just a good picture in only one mirror. I remember in the ‘early days’ that I could get the trailer lined up to the bay (off a bend) nice and early but then it would all go wrong during the last few metres of the manouevre!!

:confused:

i just keep shunting until i get i right :laughing:
dont care if i look an arse :open_mouth:
if they could do better :blush:
they should have a go :imp:
but its nice to get it in one :sunglasses:

Always reverse in, if possible from the right.
I used to lean out of the window,and look back,checking the nearside mirror often and quick,pull further forward than I needed to,at an angle to what I was reversing next to.
I would get the back of my trailer as close to what I was reversing next to as possible i.e (nearside mirrors of truck at truck park)without hitting them of course,when you are clear of mirrors,swing the unit back round so you are coming round straight and go from there,
just make sure that you have enough width to get in and you dont hit anything on your blindside,but usually if you keep as close to the right as possible,and just as the trailer starts to go past being parrallel to what you going in next too,put opposite lock quickly and straighten up.You never do it perfect every time,more often than not you’ll need a shunt. :wink:

Works for me anyway
Just hope you know what I mean :confused: :confused:
If not im sorry for wasting your time :laughing: :laughing:

Ok. I’ve found this one of the hardest things myself, especially at the end of the day when your [zb]'d and just wanting to go home. Their’s the added pressure of people watching you and you not wanting to hit anything in your own yard. For me, the golden rules are

1. Go Slowley
  2. Get out and for gods sake, have a look if your not sure. That might save you hitting anything. As my boss (an ex shunter) says. “I don’t particuarly care if you take 27 shunts to get on a bay. I pay you by the hour. I only take an interest if you hit something. That’s when it comes out of my budget. Then I’m only peeved if you do real damage. IE go at it like a bull at a gate.”

The thing I found worked for me was, do a bit. Stop, look, think, straighten up :laughing:. Do a bit more. Stop. Look. Little turns of the wheel. As has allready been said, try not to reverse in off your passenger side. Called the blindside with good reason.

DON’T PANIC ABOUT IT. If your struggling, go and have a cuppa, then come back and try again.

Hope this helps

Lib.

thanks for all the tips guys took on board what u guys are saying can see where im going wrong when i do my kink to set up trailer im not going far enough past my bay and hency trying to do much in a little space…

more practice and i will get there only been driving bendys for a month :smiley:

I’ve been quite chuffed with my reversing of late it’s definetly improving. However this week I’ve been picking up from a wharehouse where both pick up places have blind side reverses. This is in a yard which is shared be a decent sized trucking company, there are observers. One is a straight forward (backward) reverse on to a loading bay. The other is a bit harder up steepish slope right angle bend around some pallets and through a doorway and into the wharehouse. I’ve got to say i’ve been dissapionted in some of my reverses. But they have been getting better as the week progressed. Tonight as I was leaving another artic pulled in, so i moved out of his way and as I put the plate on and closed the doors i watched him cause he looked confident. First thing he did was a u turn. Big sign banning this. So he wasn’t doing it on his blind side, he was still shunting it when I drove out. I know it shouldn’t but it made me feel a bit better.
Liberaces advices sounds pretty similar to my method

Davey Boy,

As has been said above, little and often on the mirrors and steering, but one word of warning.
When you are running along a line of bay loading wagons to find your slot, then you find it and turn away to point the rear of the trailer at the target, remember the overhang behind your rearmost wheels and the reverse swing this produces. Too close and you won’t be the first to take the the front off someones shiny new motor. Very embarrassing :blush: . Very expensive :cry:

Take it easy and don’t be shy of getting out and having a look, you can’t see everything from the cockpit.

Salut, David.

Try a bit of reversing on the quiet when no-one else is about. If you mess up, don’t worry as you will be the only one there. :wink:

SMUDGER:
Try a bit of reversing on the quiet when no-one else is about. If you mess up, don’t worry as you will be the only one there. :wink:

That is really good advice, Davey Boy. My first artic was given to me one Saturday morning back in the days when there were no licences or tests, with the instruction - ‘learn how to use it this weekend because you’re tipping Liverpool docks on Monday’.

I spent all the rest of that day and all Sunday reversing all over the bit of waste ground where I used to park and made such a hash of it that I set off on Monday morning in the deepest gloom. Got to Liverpool and backed it into a dark shed and blindside round a couple of pillars - no problem.

Stick with it - she’ll be right, as the Aussies say.

Salut, David.

i just cant figure out where i should be pointing my unit to get trailer to go back without me doing several shunts

Try opposite lock… :unamused: