Returning to the job after a serious accident

Hi all,

I live in Dublin and Last December I had an accident, I ended up turning the truck over, the Garda deemed it what it was an accident and come January the doc’s have told me I’ll be able to be signed off fit to work again,

My question is this… Has anyone come upon trouble getting work after being in an accident? :question: :question: :question:

When starting a job most firms ask (for insurance purposes) “have you had an accident in the past five years that has resulted in you being unable to work”

I’m desperate to get back behind the wheel and hope that this doesn’t stop me, I’ve been in the trucking industry for 14 years and I really haven’t lost the thrill of heading out with a load for some far off destination.
It will be tough enough finding a driving job during what is a quiet spell over here Jan- March.
Any suggestions on aiding my return are most welcome, the thought of having to find another career in something I’m not interested in is terrifying me, diesel is in my veins and I have no interest in anything else :unamused:

Matt

Not happened to me personally, but I do know somebody who had a serious accident many years ago, he struggled, there was a combination of factors. He’d also got points, he was also only 22 years old and there weren’t ,many jobs around.

It might be better to go and see companies and hopefully look for ones actually run by people who have been behind the wheel, they might be more realistic about things happening on the road.
Also if you have those years of experience, you must know people in the industry and they must know you and what happened and your previous work record. This might be far more important than a question about insurance.

Good Luck

What happened to the company you used to work for when you had your accident ? Did they not stand by you and promise your job back when fit enough ?

bald bloke:
What happened to the company you used to work for when you had your accident ? Did they not stand by you and promise your job back when fit enough ?

I came out of hospital at the end of January, the guards hadn’t even started in depth enquiries, within 3 weeks the company I was working for, who I’d kept informed of progress and had offered to go in to the office in my wheel chair to work untill I could drive posted out a letter saying I was no longer required to work for them, they said I could appeal the decision, I scheduled the appeal and the morning of the appeal my p45 came through the door, they’ve blamed me for the accident, they then refused to put my medical bills through the company insurance, I’m currently still recovering, hoping to get signed off fit for work in January, I’ve been on social welfare since February of €180 per week with a €70,000 hospital bill to contend with. The. Company who I won’t mention are a massive outfit could’ve easily helped me but chose not to.