Returning to lgv driving

hi all

I’m returning to lgv driving from a break of nearly 9 yrs, I have my cat c but going for c+e early in feb, I’m not wanting to do local multi drop (done it before and hated it), I would like some advice and tips on distance work, heard the phrase ‘tramping’ being used quite a bit, I love the idea of being out on the road seeing the countryside and being paid to do it. I do understand that the stresses and hard work that is involved in long distance but I’ve discussed this in depth with my wife and we’re both happy for me to pursue this career.

any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Ian !!

Tramping is when you are away all week or longer depends on what you doing

Trunking is day/night shift from 1 place to the other

You can also do day or night work ( not trunking or multi drop )

You will also need your DCPC

Have you got a current DQC - driver cpc card?
Are you up to date on the current rules - post 2007?

Drivers hr

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Also a look in here may be of some use

viewforum.php?f=5

yeah I got my digi tacho card and dcpc card all sorted, up to date with drivers hours and rules, think I’m just itching to do some long distance driving, trunking sounds good to me, at the risk of sounding like a complete numpty, but are there trunking jobs for class 2 or are they just reserved for class 1, please excuse my ignorance guys :-/

silvasurfa67:
yeah I got my digi tacho card and dcpc card all sorted, up to date with drivers hours and rules, think I’m just itching to do some long distance driving, trunking sounds good to me, at the risk of sounding like a complete numpty, but are there trunking jobs for class 2 or are they just reserved for class 1, please excuse my ignorance guys :-/

Trunking jobs on Class 2 do exist, but they are rare. The thing with trunking is it can be repetitive and you’ll usually just be going up and down motorways moving stuff from one depot to another, not likely to live the dream of seeing loads of countryside etc.

rob22888:

silvasurfa67:

Trunking jobs on Class 2 do exist, but they are rare. The thing with trunking is it can be repetitive and you’ll usually just be going up and down motorways moving stuff from one depot to another, not likely to live the dream of seeing loads of countryside etc.

Sounds like my idea of fun!

best start putting the word out,

thanks guys :slight_smile:

silvasurfa67:

I do trunking a lot from Glasgow to Liverpool. I dont see much of anything as its a 13hr shift,450 mile round trip in the dark. 90% motorway as well. Not recommended if you want to see the sights! But I like the empty roads and precious little in the way of hold ups you get from working at night. Depends on what you prefer.

The-Snowman:

silvasurfa67:

I do trunking a lot from Glasgow to Liverpool. I dont see much of anything as its a 13hr shift,450 mile round trip in the dark. 90% motorway as well. Not recommended if you want to see the sights! But I like the empty roads and precious little in the way of hold ups you get from working at night. Depends on what you prefer.

yeah I like the sound of this, hard to find I expect, nonetheless I shall keep trying,

great feedback :slight_smile:

If you do your CE there will be a lot more door that open or it did for me

Also depends where you are

The-Snowman:

silvasurfa67:

It’ll be better in a few weeks when the nights are less dark. :laughing:

animal:

I also agree that class 1 will produce more leads, I’m in Newcastle upon tyne, hoping to get through c+e in early feb :slight_smile:

silvasurfa67:

animal:

I also agree that class 1 will produce more leads, I’m in Newcastle upon tyne, hoping to get through c+e in early feb :slight_smile:

Who are you going with :question:

There are a few companies around

DTS in Cramlington do Cat C work

Mann in Gateshead have Cat C trunking as well as other work

animal:

silvasurfa67:

animal:

Who are you going with :question:

There are a few companies around

DTS in Cramlington do Cat C work

Mann in Gateshead have Cat C trunking as well as other work

not driving for anyone at the minute, will dts a call tomorrow for trunking, don’t really want to do multi drop if I can help it, done last time around totally sick by the end of the day :-/

I could mention a couple of places where NOT to go up here too!

Hang on, make that three Animal…

Goldfinger:
I could mention a couple of places where NOT to go up here too!

Hang on, make that three Animal…

would appreciate all the tips I can get at the minute mate

PM sent.