Returning to Class 1 no cpc

Hi all looking for some advice I’m wanting to return to driving after packing it in 4 years ago (I know don’t do it) However I didn’t get my driver CPC
Ive done UK and Europe curtain siders, containers and coaches over a period of 28 years.
The question is will anyone take me on I’m 63 years old? will anyone put me through my CPC or should I pay for it myself whats sort of money should I expect
Thanks in advance I am based in Selby York.

I don’t think you’d have a problem getting a job. You might struggle to find somebody to pay for your CPC though, if you fund it yourself work on a figure of £350 and you won’t be too far out.

Ok cheers any recommendations for firms in the York/Selby area

You should have “acquired rights” which means you don’t need to do the full 35 hours. See gov.uk/driver-cpc-training/ … g-deadline
I did it this way and I think it was £35 for the Case Studies in a room in Worcester, plus £100 for the Practical Demonstration, which I did through the local council’s training department.

I suggest you speak to:-

Tockwith Training Services Ltd
Driving School
Address: Shirbutt Ln, York YO26 8JX
Phone:01904 737049

Explain your situation, and they will advise you what is the best way to proceed.

Martin

Ok will give them a ring cheers

I’m confused over this too…

Same situation, left driving before CPC came in, but now consider returning…

MilitantGraham:
You should have “acquired rights” which means you don’t need to do the full 35 hours. See gov.uk/driver-cpc-training/ … g-deadline
I did it this way and I think it was £35 for the Case Studies in a room in Worcester, plus £100 for the Practical Demonstration, which I did through the local council’s training department.

This acquired right thing really boggles…

I rang TTS at Newcastle, and they said I had to do the full thing from scratch, costing £293…■■?

And they said there’s NO tests involved either…

Goldfinger:
I’m confused over this too…

Same situation, left driving before CPC came in, but now consider returning…

MilitantGraham:

This acquired right thing really boggles…

I rang TTS at Newcastle, and they said I had to do the full thing from scratch, costing £293…■■?

And they said there’s NO tests involved either…

Sounds about right price wise…And your correct no test involved…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just had it confirmed have to do the 35 hours at a cost of £300 if you obtained your C or D licence before September 2008

At your age (no offense :p)

you have acquired rights meaning none of this case study or practical w4nk.

You just need to do 5 days (35 hours) of CPC rip off. You can even do the same lesson 5 times if you wish - it still counts although it would be boring.

Also, this website is handy: gov.uk/check-your-driver-cp … ning-hours

Once you register and all the jazz, every time you attend a CPC rip off class, they update it and you can see it. You can then check your status online as you wish. I did mine in a block and now just do one per year to stay valid.

You wont have a problem at all getting a job - and i dont care if people slate me for this but I have never told the truth in an interview yet and have had no problems - with your experience they will ■■■■■■ you up trust me. Just say for the last four years you have been running your own business.

Anyways, good luck me old mukka. Let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Cheers tom yes seems stupid if you can do the same course for 5 days and it counts.
No what you mean re finding work. Did run my own motor for a while Maritime and that other one big yellow trucks near Derby had a base in Castleford.
Will let you know how it goes

REDcoachmaster:
Just had it confirmed have to do the 35 hours at a cost of £300 if you obtained your C or D licence before September 2008

Whoever told you that was talking nonsense, it’s your choice whether you do the 35 hours training or the initial DCPC mods 2 and 4.

If you passed the car test before January 1st 1997 (which you obviously did) you have acquired rights to the DCPC, what this means is that if you have not completed 35 hours of periodic training since the DCPC started you can choose to do either the 35 hours periodic training or do the initial CPC mods 2 and 4, it’s your choice.

The 35 hours periodic training speaks for itself, it’s 35 hours of training that’s usually but not necessarily class room based training, there are no tests the only requirement is to attend the training sessions.

Mods 2 and 4 of the initial DCPC, mod 2 is a computer based test, mod 4 is a walk-around test where you have to show the examiner that you know your way round a lorry.
Both of these tests can be failed.

This will give you a good idea of what mod 4 is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdqZHPIjDT0

Having said that, I imagine most people would go for the 35 hours training rather than face 2 tests that can potentially be failed :wink:

REDcoachmaster:

I’m sorry but that isn’t correct. Who told you that?

If you have never had a DQC and you obtained your licence before September 2009 you can do either 35 hours or Mod 2 and Mod 4. Choice is yours

Hi REDcoachmaster

Have to agree with the 2 posts above, it’s up to you whether you do 35 hours or just sit the mods 2&4 - which is what I did about a year ago.
As mentioned both tests can be failed but neither is very difficult, you can get mock tests online for the mod 2 and the training centre will give you a run through what is expected for the mod 4, should not be anything you haven’t done before but they will show you how to present it to the examiner.
Something the training centre did ask before I started was whether I had started any of the 35 hours training, if so, then you need do the full 35 hours and can’t opt for the 2 tests.

sti:
Something the training centre did ask before I started was whether I had started any of the 35 hours training, if so, then you need do the full 35 hours and can’t opt for the 2 tests.

Sorry but that’s wrong, if you had completed the 35 hours training so had a DQC you would not be able to do mods 2 and 4, but as long as you have not completed the 35 hours training you can choose.

Whether it would be worth doing mods 2 and 4 when you’ve already done part of the training is up for debate but legally you could.

Thanks for the replies will look at the cost of doing mods2/4 as an option