Returning driver

Hi all, new to the forum, I passed my class 1 back in 98 on leaving the military and drove agency on/off for several years, last time I drove properly was 6 years ago, I have been made redundant from my present non driving job and am looking to return to the lorries. I have a retraining grant of £1500 and wonder if anyone can advise what courses would be useful, did have hazchem but never used it! What about hiab ? Have just put in for my digicard, what about CPC training? What’s the score there?? Any help would be great.

In your position I would do my DCPC as follows

ADR (tanks and packets)
Driver hours
MPQC (used to be called epic for quarries)
Cattle movement
First aid
HIAB

This will skill you up for various roles on lorries and make you more attractive to employers

Then if there wedge left over maybe consider doing your TMCPC

For DCPC you need to do 35 hours recognised training before 9/9/14 and be in possession of your card.

Driver hours changed somewhat in 97 and if you’re not completely sure of the rules beat do driver hours as it’s better to know than think you know.

First aid is a no brainer really

ADR will allow flexibility for general haulage and will allow greater earning potential on tankers etc

Epic allows you to driver tippers which opens up another avenue as does HIAB.

As with every time you spend your money go see the trainer first and if you can use a trainer that is recommended by someone you trust. Or else ask on yer.

Only JAUPT trainers can upload hours for DCPC

Good luck

Thanks Tom, I will look in to these, I have had a quick look at some training companies and there seems to be a lot running very old wagons out of leaky portacabins, anyone on here recommend a good “up to date” training company, I’m in South Wales but happy to travel.

Yes - try looking in North Wales - very professional training from a high quality training company who can help you with your React paperwork too. :wink:

John

I don’t have any local knowledge but there’s a sticky on here if recommended training school. ROG or Peter will be along with a link shortly

Thanks both