Return to drive part time

I do a non driving related job Tue wed and Thursday.This equates to 37.5 hours. . I have not driven for 16 months and my cpc is up to date. can I do 2 days or 1 day per week. And do I need to record all my other hours I do in my non related driving job onto a tacho or will I just keep a diary. look forward to your advice as I am perplexing.

■■■■■■00:
I do a non driving related job Tue wed and Thursday.This equates to 37.5 hours. . I have not driven for 16 months and my cpc is up to date. can I do 2 days or 1 day per week. And do I need to record all my other hours I do in my non related driving job onto a tacho or will I just keep a diary. look forward to your advice as I am perplexing.

You could easily do two days driving a week, and depending on the times you work could probably do three days every second week if you wanted to.

In weeks that you do any driving in-scope of EU regulations weekly rest period requirements must be complied with.

Any work done on none driving days in the same week should be recorded on a printout or chart, just your name, the date, start and finish times, and a signature need to be recorded so it can be checked that you complied with the daily/weekly rest requirements.

Some people have said they keep records of none driving days in a diary/notebook and that VOSA have been OK with it, that does make sense but be aware that it’s not the legally required method of keeping the records.

thanks tachograph. . working 2 days sounds better than I expected and would this also apply if I switched my non driving job to working example wed sat and Sunday. would still be able to drive 2 days per week and would that be only two 9 hour shifts… . before I left driving I was always in a mess trying to input my non driving job into the machine so just kept a diary I would spend nearly an hour before I left the yard iputting each day and date so I gave up. .

■■■■■■00:
thanks tachograph. . working 2 days sounds better than I expected and would this also apply if I switched my non driving job to working example wed sat and Sunday. would still be able to drive 2 days per week and would that be only two 9 hour shifts… . before I left driving I was always in a mess trying to input my non driving job into the machine so just kept a diary I would spend nearly an hour before I left the yard iputting each day and date so I gave up. .

If you’re only working three days a week in your usual job you should be able to do at-least two days driving every week, and three some weeks, but you would need to watch what days you drove so that you could get a weekly rest period in.

For instance if you worked at you usual job on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday every week you could always drive Thursday and Friday which would leave Monday and Tuesday for the weekly rest period.

If you worked at your usual job different three days each week, you could still work at-least two days driving each week but you would have to be quite careful about when you had the weekly rest periods.

Working different three days each week would require you to keep accurate records so you can work out the weekly rest periods.

There’s no need to stick to nine hour shifts, long shifts would put you over the maximum 60 hours per week, so if that’s something you care about you would need to be careful what hours you do.

Alternatively of course you could just work when you want and forget to mention the usual job if you get stopped, but obviously I wouldn’t suggest doing anything like that :grimacing:

It would be a wast of time trying to input the none driving job hours into the tachograph, as you say it would take ages and there would be a likelihood of mistakes I would have thought.

The easiest way is to write on a chart or printout or as you say keep a diary, as I said before several people here have said they keep a diary and VOSA have OK’d it, technically it’s not legal but …

■■■■■■00:
I do a non driving related job Tue wed and Thursday.This equates to 37.5 hours.

Those hours are under the WTD
EU regs driving is under the RTD
The two are not added together if that was a concern