Retrofitting digital tacho

Evening All,

Has anybody retrofitted a digital tachograph to a truck fitted with the cassette type paper tachograph?

I haven’t had a look behind the existing one yet but I presume the connectors are the same.

I am looking to buy a version one digi from eBay as they seem to be cheap now that people are upgrading, is it just a case of putting a used one in and then getting it calibrated?..

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cold Up North:
Evening All,

Has anybody retrofitted a digital tachograph to a truck fitted with the cassette type paper tachograph?

I haven’t had a look behind the existing one yet but I presume the connectors are the same.

I am looking to buy a version one digi from eBay as they seem to be cheap now that people are upgrading, is it just a case of putting a used one in and then getting it calibrated?..

I think you’ll need to change the sensor too - the analogue ones were just a pulse output whereas digi sensors have an encrypted conversation with the VU. Whoever you would use to do your calibration should be able to sort you out though I’d have thought, but there’s going to be more to it than just banging in the new head.

Why would you want too■■? What is the benefit■■?

The gene pools certainly shallow in the haulage industry. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

jessicas dad:
Why would you want too■■? What is the benefit■■?

If you’re already running other stuff on digi, it could well be easier to move to it entirely. There’s no mucking-about filling-in discs and storing them and all that crap. Analysis is easier too.

But if I only had one vehicle and it was on paper, then I definitely wouldn’t change it…

Thanks for the info from most of you, it is just easier to ensure compliance, no chasing drivers for charts, reminding them to fill the mileage totals, don’t have to store the bloody things around the office, and the tacho tells you when to have a break (even if it can’t add up). I know it doesn’t suit every job, but it isn’t a hindrance for ours.

Cheers.

pavaroti:
The gene pools certainly shallow in the haulage industry. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Not sure what you getting at with that one… :unamused:

Cold Up North:
Thanks for the info from most of you, it is just easier to ensure compliance, no chasing drivers for charts, reminding them to fill the mileage totals

Just out of curiosity is there some benefit if the drivers complete the mileage totals on the charts ?

As I understand it if they were to make a mistake in their calculations they could get an infringement for it, so I can’t understand the point as it’s not legally required.

I hope this post doesn’t come across as a criticism because it’s not intended that way, it’s just that I’ve driven for a company that insisted on the drivers completing the totals and could never understand why :confused:

Filling the total in is a legal requirement as far as I know, but it’s mainly drivers not filling end mileage because they are in a rush to get home…

Cold Up North:
Filling the total in is a legal requirement as far as I know, but it’s mainly drivers not filling end mileage because they are in a rush to get home…

Not sure if there’s a ‘not’ missing, but just to be clear, the ‘total’ field does not have to be completed.

wilbur:

Cold Up North:

Not sure if there’s a ‘not’ missing, but just to be clear, the ‘total’ field does not have to be completed.

filling in the mileage total is NOT a legal requirement as wilbur has said, although, if it is filled in, it MUST be correct

the end mileage is a legal requirement though :wink:

shuttlespanker:
filling in the mileage total is NOT a legal requirement as wilbur has said, although, if it is filled in, it MUST be correct

the end mileage is a legal requirement though :wink:

+1

Ross.

Hi…re retro fitting. Good news, it is a relativly simple job, as the wiring connections are the same…I have had one put in my 54 reg super space,not by choice tho, at the demand of the t.c.

Be wary buying one from ebay, as u do need the correct gearbox sender…Each sender is matched to a particular Tacho, and are not interchangable.

fatboy baz:
Hi…re retro fitting. Good news, it is a relativly simple job, as the wiring connections are the same…I have had one put in my 54 reg super space,not by choice tho, at the demand of the t.c.

Out of interest, what grounds did the TC have to make you put one into a 54 vehicle?

lets just say i have been naughty in the past, and if i wanted to get another o licence,this was one of the conditions…and to be honest about it, i have had it in for 15 months, and i havnt got a problem with digi’s,the beauty of them is all the information you need during the day is there at the press of a button,the one downside,that people with analogue dont seem to worry about,is the fortnightly driving hrs.with the digi it is clearly displayed, as opposed to adding all your cards up.

We have retrofitted quite a few…current cost is about 650 euros fitted,calibrated,paired to vehicle’s canbus etc…plus the cost of the sender unit…normally 70~150 euros. That is for the new Stoneridge Exakt one minute rule tachograph, We find the Stoneridge products far superior to the siemens units…less troublesome and far more durable