Retro-fit lift axle to a drawbar trailer

Hi,

Quick question as I can’t seem to get an answer anywhere and could do with one before Monday morning:

I’m needing a 25ft trixale drawbar trailer but can’t justify a new one. There’ll be a fair bit of screwing round so I’m keen for a lift axle but some of the (very few) that appear on the market don’t have one. Is it possible / how difficult is it to retro fit a lift axle? Buying a new trailer is really not an option.

Cheers

Are you wanting to make a 3 axle trailer lift an axle or fit a 3 rd axle that lifts to a tandem ?

1st impression is that it will be easier to make one of three axles lift than to add a lifting axle to a tandem. Trying to do the latter means that the axles will be in the wrong position unless all are moved. It will be a notifiable alteration anyway, but adding an axle will probably mean submitting new brake calculations for which you are going to need serious advice.

Sorry I should’ve been clearer - looking at making a fixed axle into a lift (whether by replacing it or whatever is required) rather than adding another axle. So the number of axles and their position won’t be changing.

you just fit couple of taps to the fed pipes 1 to close it and another to dump the air, not strictly a lift axle but ok for shunting

Doonhamer:
Sorry I should’ve been clearer - looking at making a fixed axle into a lift (whether by replacing it or whatever is required) rather than adding another axle. So the number of axles and their position won’t be changing.

Very easy then really , large air bag ,steel ,2 stainless wire ropes with thread on ,valve in line done .

image.jpegone I made lift on my unit a few yrs ago .

There are kits available for lift axle conversions from most trailer suspension manufacturers. They usually have an extension to the quarter spring forward of the spring assembly and an airbag pushes this down, the airbags deflate on the axle and transfer air to the lifting airbag and the axle lifts as a result.

The type that Dan has used is not going to work on a trailer, especially one on small wheels, which most drawbar trailers are, as you won’t have the room on top for an airbag and associated brackets.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk