would be up

it appears ATS whizz up nuts then redo after the said
30 minute wait

asides…
got into drop and rang in problem
ATS bloke did tyre change whilst
i drank my tea and then gave us a shout when he
had done most of his thing

Never heard of that one…although i have heard about the recheck them after a wheel change at the side of the road by a tyre fitter.

When we change wheels in the garage at work we retorque them to 650nm and place wheel nut indicators on the nuts and not HAD any reports from the drivers of any needing tightening, as it is in the drivers walkaround daily checks to check them. :grimacing:

lol think they are covering there arse with that rule :laughing:
as a rule after we have done the brakes or what ever we torq them up then stick a retorq notice for 50k never have any problems unless it’s an old nail

ATS have done the 30 minute re-torque for some time now.

Though the couple of times I’ve had ATS out to change a tyre they’ve told me I could either wait the 30 minutes or get the nuts re-torqued when I got back to the depot because they don’t generally want to hang around waiting for 30 minutes to re-torque the nuts.

Well that’s been my experience anyway.

hitch:
had a blowout today
anyhow were used to getting tickets saying
retorque after 100k or whatever

today i was told i couldnt move for another 15 mins
because thats when the 30 minute wait for the retorque
would be up

30 minute wait

asides…

I have heard of this waiting period, but never understood how it is better practice.

A driver has a puncture and requests a call out, the fitter has the wheel off and fixes the tyre, he then torques it up, but in fact over-torques it. 30 minutes later he checks it again, the wrench clicks and the bloke drives off.

The threads are already stretched :open_mouth:

In my day you used to change the wheel yourself, you used to put three extension bars on, and then jump up and down on it while hanging on to the TIR cord.

Tssscohh, kids of today! :wink:

Wheel Nut:

hitch:
had a blowout today

would be up

30 minute wait

asides…

I have heard of this waiting period, but never understood how it is better practice.

A driver has a puncture and requests a call out, the fitter has the wheel off and fixes the tyre, he then torques it up, but in fact over-torques it. 30 minutes later he checks it again, the wrench clicks and the bloke drives off.

you will do well to stretch truck wheel studs :astonished:

I’ve seen tyre fitters change a tyre without removing the wheel, it saves any hassle with rusted
nuts and avoids the need to torque at all.

I don’t think they can change inner tyres of twins this way!

Harry Monk:
In my day you used to change the wheel yourself, you used to put three extension bars on, and then jump up and down on it while hanging on to the TIR cord.

We don’t do our own tyres (our own fitters do unless too far away) and we dont have a torque wrench where I’m based (couldn’t even tell you what torque setting is) so I use an ordinary wheelbar and just pull/stand on it-never had one come loose yet… :smiley:

TheFan46:

Wheel Nut:

hitch:
had a blowout today

would be up

30 minute wait

asides…

you will do well to stretch truck wheel studs :astonished:

Probably but they have never discovered the wheel loss syndrome, some of the biggest fleets with proper systems in place have suffered. But like Harry, we all carried an L Bar and a 4’ piece of scaffold tube, jump on the nuts till they cracked, or jump until your own nuts cracked. I think the cracking was actually stretched threads

Harry Monk:

Thats the way harry,man after my own heart.
regards dave. :laughing:

hitch:
had a blowout today

would be up

30 minute wait

asides…

I’m guessing it was a super single on a trailer?
What I was told by ATS 2 months ago - Its to do with the type of rim on the tyre - not sure of the exact terms the newer type of rim that keeps the tyre from coming off when you get a puncture needs to be retorqued 30 mins after fitting .
That may or may not be the reason - it’s what I was told .

never heard of that when they have had a wheel of my tipper i normaly do three loads and check them for tightness with a normal wheel brace and bar then refit the yellow plastic indicators , i always use the plastic indicators now as it saves u checkin all the nuts u can just look to see if they have moved each morning before setting out as for a wheel coming loose i had it happen to me on a daf cf 8 wheeler the nuts came loose it snapped some of them off and stretched the other s so bad the wheel was on wonky lucky i felt it wobbling and stopped my boss at the time was not impressed he told me that all the 8 wheelers suffer from the nuts coming loose after that i torqued em every friday :blush: :open_mouth: but think on one of the wheels the threads were badly stretched as it come loose every few days :open_mouth: :frowning:

Chewyboy:
never heard of that when they have had a wheel of my tipper i normaly do three loads and check them for tightness with a normal wheel brace and bar then refit the yellow plastic indicators , i always use the plastic indicators now as it saves u checkin all the nuts u can just look to see if they have moved each morning before setting out as for a wheel coming loose i had it happen to me on a daf cf 8 wheeler the nuts came loose it snapped some of them off and stretched the other s so bad the wheel was on wonky lucky i felt it wobbling and stopped my boss at the time was not impressed he told me that all the 8 wheelers suffer from the nuts coming loose after that i torqued em every friday :blush: :open_mouth: but think on one of the wheels the threads were badly stretched as it come loose every few days :open_mouth: :frowning:

We’ve stopped using the plastic indicators; some drivers complained they weren’t giving an accurate reading or something…I think taking them off and refitting them cost them bonus :unamused: Either way, the few had their way and they were removed. Now, I check an axle each day or so with a bar plus visuals; works for me…

The 30 minute thing does work, although I would still stop and recheck an hour up the road, just belt and braces I suppose :smiley:

Muckaway:

Chewyboy:

We’ve stopped using the plastic indicators; some drivers complained they weren’t giving an accurate reading or something…I think taking them off and refitting them cost them bonus :unamused: Either way, the few had their way and they were removed. Now, I check an axle each day or so with a bar plus visuals; works for me…

our boss goes mad if dont have them on the rear wheels and the plastic zig zag ones on the front axles

Harry Monk:

didnt we all Harry, but how many broken wheelstuds did you have to get replaced? how many trucks lost wheels with catastrophic events,
it doesnt happen anymore or very rarely :smiley:

axletramp:
I’ve seen tyre fitters change a tyre without removing the wheel, it saves any hassle with rusted
nuts and avoids the need to torque at all.

I don’t think they can change inner tyres of twins this way!

Only seen that with super singles on trailers.