Retireing

Just to add. My state pension is paid every 4 weeks. When I devide my pension by 4, I get a weekly wage, devide that by 40 and I get an hourly wage.
My hourly wage is…£4.94 :open_mouth:
So much for the living wage :smiley:

I am enjoying my retirement :smiley: :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:
My hourly wage is…£4.94 :open_mouth:

You have to…

Consider what your essential outgoings are.

Slippers.
Bog roll.
Complan.

£4.94 ph is more than enough to cover your living costs.

I read this the other day, about deferring your state pension, or not doing it for too long as it affects Pension Credit/ other benefits

My advice would be to “Retire” once you are paying the higher rate of tax on your earnings…
I.e. your base pension income is enough to get you into higher rate tax…

If it isn’t - then “don’t retire” - simples.

I’ve supposedly got a pension income from age 60, but since last year’s unvoted-for declaration of war against Russia, it has been reduced by a third from a projected £294 per week to £187 per week as of January’s pension appraisal for the year. The establishment have very cleverly made it so we manual/semi-skilled workers simply cannot retire now, which in time - will ease the shortages in the sector. Watching the bond markets as I do, it was the Chinese going on “bond buying strike” that set this financial calamity to happen:
(Their trade saction against the West for declaring unofficial, and therefore dishonest war on their trade Partner, Russia)
The Chinese have been purchasing less western debt across the board, in fits and starts last year which has led to the gilt market drop that caused a number of pension funds that were buying these low-yielding bonds on margin - to be forced to sell them at a loss, causing a deficit in those pension funds they manage. Whilst their actions being despicable as they are (gambling with other people’s money on the futures markets!) what’s done is done, and we are all going to be poorer for it, that is those people that have part of their pension pots invested in so-called “Pristine Debt Paper” (G7 AAA Bonds) - which amounts to just about ALL of them, as far as I know…

Meanwhile, in the Energy markets, the distributers were forced to buy gas and electric at the very top of the market a year ago, also causing a systemic loss to their books - for playing the futures market the other way, and getting it wrong big-time…
Since the market has dropped some 85% by today, you’ll notice that not only has that drop NOT been passed onto consumers, but there is talk of Gas and Electric prices going up even MORE next month - hardly justified, but the crooks continue to be in power, because people still vote for them… There’s no difference between the main parties on this issue. Even If Keir Starmer gets in, he will continue to fund Ukraine, continue to let crooks run our utilities, and continue the UK working population on this path to Serfdom that we are on… Labour have no answers, whilst the other parties -are now unelectable outright.

I would imagine that many other people with paid-up company pensions - are going to find themselves in the same boat as me, i.e. postponing retirement now until such a time comes when we CAN afford to retire.

“67” is already that age for most people, but I suspect it’ll be 70-75 for many of us still working before the end of this decade…

It is also worth pointing out the sad statistics of people with the more cushy pensions…

Pension >70% of final salary - Life expectancy 64 (Sorry ladies, have no stats for pensioned-off former full time female workers!)
Pension 30%-69% of final salary - Life expectancy 74
Pension 1%-29% of final salary - Life expectancy 81
No Pension at all - Life expectancy - 65

Does this mean that people with “average crappy pensions” are actually living a heathier, less indulgent lifestyle as a result?
I.e. Less fancy food, less drinking, less foreign holidays and other things that might lead to weight gain and poorer health in one’s autumn years?

I’m not aware…

That the United Kingdom has declared war on Russia.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m not aware…

That the United Kingdom has declared war on Russia.

We’re aiding and abetting the enemy of Russia right now, which makes the UK the enemy of Russia right now as well.

Wars are absolute things.
So far, in the “War Effort” - Our pensions have lost money from rising interest rates, our home budget has lost money from rising energy prices AND rising interest rates, and our local councils are being neglected by unfettered immigration combined with money being wasted abroad which could and should be spent back here in blighty…
That’s four seperate issues our government AND the opposition are united on supporting against the British Public at this time.

If it isn’t true then that the UK is at war with Russia, then perhaps it can be true that we should be at war with our own establishment, for inflicting such hardships upon the British People without even asking for our consent before acting thus…
Boris Johnson was supposed to be “Getting Brexit Done” and now we cannot even get our working lives done, pensions we previously thought to be “Gold Plated” in many cases - now blown to the four winds of outrageous, but chosen fortune.

Meanwhile, the news only wants to talk about “PartyGate” and “Sunak’s great Brexit fudge deal”…

If the EU likes it - then it can’t be a good deal for Brexit voters - right?

Leaving the EU could and should have meant that all EU political concerns are no longer the ongoing concerns of the UK in future.
The EU did nothing about Crimea in 2014. It could and should have done nothing about Dombass in 2022 as well.
America was quick enough to pull the plug on Afghanistan, so why couldn’t it too - pull the plug on Ukraine?
There’s no stomach for “Boots on the Ground”, which means the whole thing should have been sidestepped, and that would have been the end to it.
Zelensky would have been removed, and the former Pro-Russia government in a former Province OF Russia - re-installed.
“Democracy” plays no part, as Ukraine was brought under EU control without a referendum ever being held, and a democratically elected Pro-Russia leader (Yanukovych) - ousted by the same political assassination techniques as used by other so-called “Democracies” around the world since 2016, used against Trump whilst in office, used against anything Farage to prevent them from ever holding office… (Get a leader the Lefties object to? Tell lies and spin and alter the entire political agenda until that person is gone… Accuse them of division, rather than yourself of rigging your own system when you don’t get your own way…)

If you don’t like Economic hardship in your life - you won’t be voting for ANY of the parties currently incumbent at Westminster. They are all in this “Support Foreign, Neglect UK Taxpayers” racket - together.

Suella Bravermann is wasting her time with all this new proposed “Legislation”. It is all for naught - unless and until you prevent people from “legally challenging” EXISTING legislation all the time. Make a law, and then enforce it by jailing those who oppose it. There’s no point having the concept of “Rule of Law” unless and until the laws actually get fully implented, and enforced with punishments for those traitors who spend their entire legal lives merely overturning the laws of their political opponents, resulting in permanent stalemate when it comes to “getting anything done”. :imp:

I want to see the highly paid suits who’ve depleted our pension funds, our NHS, and our Bank Balances - jailed and made to compensate the general public for the harm they’ve done.
“Covid” will NOT be enough of a deliberate Smoke Screen for them to get away with this agenda for much longer. Not everyone who’s lost everything - gets to be bumped off by state action, after all. There’ll be a lot of angry people left who find it better to vent “Anger” than bottle it up and get “Depressed” instead.

For every Labour voter who wants to see that of Blair - there are now Tory voters who want that done to Sunak…

This country…

Has not declared war on Russia.

Never mind your 10 paragraphs of waffle.

It’s quite simple, don’t make it complicated.

Winseer:
The establishment have very cleverly made it so we manual/semi-skilled workers simply cannot retire now, which in time - will ease the shortages in the sector.

Hyperbolic nonsense. Your own spending habits and whether you did anything to save for your retirement do that. My parents and mother in law are both retired on pension credit, they’re managing. It ain’t fantastic but they’re not surviving on rice and beans.

I would imagine that many other people with paid-up company pensions - are going to find themselves in the same boat as me, i.e. postponing retirement now until such a time comes when we CAN afford to retire.

Depends on how much debt they’re in and how much lifestyle inflation they’ve had. If you can’t afford to retire on £300 a week plus whatever your missus gets, should you have one, so quite feasibly £500+ for just two people which is the take home pay for a £35k job with no mortgage/rent, travel to work costs etc not sure what to say.

Conor:

Winseer:
The establishment have very cleverly made it so we manual/semi-skilled workers simply cannot retire now, which in time - will ease the shortages in the sector.

Hyperbolic nonsense. Your own spending habits and whether you did anything to save for your retirement do that. My parents and mother in law are both retired on pension credit, they’re managing. It ain’t fantastic but they’re not surviving on rice and beans. They don’t get to pay off the mortage on that…

Depends on how much debt they’re in and how much lifestyle inflation they’ve had. If you can’t afford to retire on £300 a week plus whatever your missus gets, should you have one, so quite feasibly £500+ for just two people which is the take home pay for a £35k job with no mortgage/rent, travel to work costs etc not sure what to say.

I was talking about company pensions which those in the company have fully paid into over the years.
THESE are the ones that are already depleted by the amount UK pension fund managers BLEW out of the funds by
(1) Speculating on the fall of the Ruble, only for it to rise
(2) Buying forward Gas and Electricity at the top of the market - only for it to then fall back 85%
(3) Selling Gold, Shares, and other assets to cover the losses from (1) and (2) only for Shares and Gold to remain firm in the market…

I have no credit card debt or car finance myself, but a lot of other people do. This isn’t about me, but about all those others who don’t realize how they’ve been robbed as of yet.
I have a mortgage, a good one too - but that hasn’t stopped my payments going up due to the Bank of England losing control of interest rates to the “buy or not to buy this week” whims of the Chinese Delegation that buys up our bonds as they get freshly auctioned by the UK and other western treasuries every week.
If you’ve scrimped and saved over the years, been fed a ■■■■-and-bull story about the real reaons behind the Covid scamdemic, and are not even being informed now that your savings - you’ve spent, your pension - is disappearing before your very eyes, and you idiots think you can avoid the fallout from all this by pretending this is “someone else’s problem” not the problem for every working person who one day wants to retire, which is what this thread is supposed to be about…

As for me, half the battle in avoiding the pitfalls and events that have already happened - is to be prepared for what follows.
The most vulnerable group of workers right now - are those who were intending to retire by the end of this decade, combined with those who have taken a new full time job on within the last year… Why? - If there is a sudden, very sharp economic downturn later this year, then someone who’s only just got started in their new job - gets let go FIRST, no redundancy money.
Miss a mortgage payment now? - Repossession proceedings - are likely to be done at an accelerated rate, now that banks are having a bit of a cashflow situation themselves

“You’ll own nothing - and be happy” is well under way, but “Happy” like “The Brexit Dividend” is the pot of gold at the end of that rainbow - that we’ll strangely never ever quite reach…

1929/1932 is almost upon us.
After, the only jobs going will be working for local businesspeople, who are now out of reach of local law enforcement. Where do you think the 1930’s “Gangsters” originally rose from?

We’ve already had the lockdown time, where we find out who can get by on the least… Now it’s time to find out who can get by on double that pay, but triple the cost of living…
Overall, everyone’s standard of living is likely to drop by between a third and a half…

“Depression” - again not about me here - is what you feel when you COULD have done something about what was coming, got warned enough times by people like myself - but did nothing and now it’s too late to recover… The thing to do is lobby your MP to raise these issues before they take full effect…

There’s always a glimmer of hope of course, that Sunak knows how to drive here, and suddenly announces a collapse in energy prices (to bring them in line with wholesale prices NOW) and a drop-back in BoE interest rates too, since they are only rising to “combat inflation” which is now supposedly OVER…

4 weeks left for Sunak to make his winning move, 6 weeks until the “Post Easter” period downturn begins, if he DOESN’T act.

I dunno what happens if Sunak falls in the meantime, as much will depend on who his successor is. It won’t be Boris…

Here we go again :unamused:

Winseer has forgot his crazy pills everyone. Not a clue what he’s saying, got about two lines in and sacked it off as the pedals of his paranoia and victim mentality started turning :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:
This country…

Has not declared war on Russia.

Never mind your 10 paragraphs of waffle.

It’s quite simple, don’t make it complicated.

He just has too much bloody time on his hands doesn’t he!!! lol.
Does ANY member on here actually read his 10 paragraphs of waffle on EVERY post FFS!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

SWEDISH BLUE:
I have now been retired for 3 years. I only get state pension and a small private pension.
I can not get Pension Credit as I am already retired. If I had applied for P/C 3 months before I retired, and got it, then there are so many more benefits that I wou;d be able to claim.
This is NOT my sob story, just my experience. I am posting this as a heads-up, as I am reading about others on here that are coming up io that age.

Couldn’t you just do a day / two agency a week , maybe a Tuesday / wed , even a day a week on agency , I’m very much against full time at retirement age , but a couple of days wouldn’t harm if it makes your retirement a bit easier

It’s a joke really , pensioners struggling in this country , yet our council ( south Kesteven ) are going to spend over 2 million on 20 houses for asylum seekers ( there already in bloody hotels)
Then one councillor says we will have the local people who’ve been on the council list for 20 yrs ( yes 20 bloody years) moaning , I hope they don’t !!!
Apparently when the asylum seekers get better houses these 20 houses will go to those on waiting list
And they wonder why there all heading here
What ever happened to looking after your own , pensioners on the bread line , old folks who can’t afford food/ heating , youngsters who can’t afford a house , but click your fingers & theres 2 million available for houses for asylum seekers , country’s a bloody joke

dozy:
country’s a bloody joke

Living here…

Is optional.

Just sayin’

toonsy:
Here we go again :unamused:

Winseer has forgot his crazy pills everyone. Not a clue what he’s saying, got about two lines in and sacked it off as the pedals of his paranoia and victim mentality started turning :unamused:

You’re quite entitled to ingore and disagree with anything I say, but it doesn’t do everyone else any favours if you preach your own disbelief upon others now, does it?

The main difference between prosperity and impoverishment - is making different decisions from those who got there in the first place, rather than listen to those who merely hope everything stands up as they were told long ago it would do…

“Triple Lock” has already been dropped. The entire purpose of Triple Lock was to protect us from what’s happening now of course, hence why it has been dropped.

Pensioners have been cut loose already, although if you’ve already retired, and removed your pot from the market - you should be safe receiving future pension payments. …Providing the pension outfit that pays you - doesn’t go under themselves!

Winseer:
“Triple Lock” has already been dropped. The entire purpose of Triple Lock was to protect us from what’s happening now of course, hence why it has been dropped.

The triple lock has been reinstated, it was suspended for one year (April 22 to April 23).

In April this year pensions will go up in line with last Septembers inflation rate.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

tachograph:

Winseer:

The triple lock has been reinstated, it was suspended for one year (April 22 to April 23).

In April this year pensions will go up in line with last Septembers inflation rate.

this is correct…i’ve had my notification and my State Pension increase start’s from April 10th 2023 :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:

tachograph:

Winseer:

this is correct…i’ve had my notification and my State Pension increase start’s from April 10th 2023 :smiley:

It’s interesting that you’ve received your notification, I’ve had no notification this year so could I ask how long ago you received yours, I wasn’t sure if they’re sending out letters this year but obviously they are.

tachograph:

carryfast-yeti:

tachograph:

Winseer:

It’s interesting that you’ve received your notification, I’ve had no notification this year so could I ask how long ago you received yours, I wasn’t sure if they’re sending out letters this year but obviously they are.

Dunno about notification letters wot are they? :smiley:

This years benefits are here:
gov.uk/government/publicati … te-pension
New State Pension…Rates 2022/23 (£)…Rates 2023/24 (£)
Full rate…185.15…203.85

Franglais:
Dunno about notification letters wot are they? :smiley:

Usually, towards the end of the year the DWP send out letters to let people know what their pensions will be from the following April, I generally get my letter around October/November but obviously they couldn’t do that last year because the decision to reinstate the triple lock wasn’t made until earlier this year.

I already know what my pension should be after April but it’s always good to have confirmation that the DWP agree :slight_smile: