Retired

the vast majority I see retire come back in some shape / form driving , be it boredom , pocket money , just miss the comaradrie, not many do a full week just the odd day , no idea of the attraction but mostly sat/ sun as they like there off days in week .
I’d like to think I’d retire and that would be it , but until you get there and try
it who knows

Pulled the pin 3 years ago now, sadly mainly because I developed Arthritis in my knees, and sciatica and it literally got physically beyond me, I will be 65 in November, and i do not regret stopping driving one bit, no more silly o’clock starts, no more wombles in Uniform, no more thieving ■■■■■■ in laybys, I sleep better feel better, have lost a bit of weight, have had a few year with my wife who is a bit older than me while we are ,relatively, still able to get about a bit, do I feel guilty collecting benefits?, NO, I paid in for over 40 years non-stop, and as a Railway Signalman and then a lorry driver did the working hours of two men, there is nothing that could get me back in the cab of a truck, and even now I get calls from agencys

Good luck and all the best to you :sunglasses:

Fifteen years last week since I finished at 60. Should have done it sooner. It is without doubt the best job I’ve ever had!

Harry Monk:
Good luck Dave, I’m with you on the inward facing camera thing and I too think the job was better 30 years ago, not just my perspective of it, I’m semi-retired and looking forward to fully retiring though I still have 7-8 years to go before that happens.

Totally agree about being better 30 years ago, mobile phones when they come along that screwed the job up then tracking and in cab cameras made it even worse, along with the clueless idiots in the office.
Good luck to those that have got out when they can, and good luck to those that are still in it, just finished my last job which went ■■■■ up in the last 3 months with idiots in the planning office and decided to go out with a bang, never been sacked from any job but decided to push them, and sure enough, dismissed for gross misconduct (nothing bad, but cost them), happy days.
Gone back to being self employed out of haulage, start finish skive when ever I want, bliss…

Good luck with retirement - those who have reached it and those approaching it.

At 35 I’ve still some way to go but at the moment I don’t mind as the job I’m in I’m pretty much left alone unless the office need me to pop somewhere else or change something and even then it’s a quick call and that’s that. Also I get paid clock to clock which seems to be a lost process round these parts and while I could earn an extra few quid elsewhere the money pays my bills and leaves me with more to do whatever with so it’s cool and it’s well above any minimum or living wage. Plus the lack of obstruction and allowance to use your noggin is worth a few extra quid being lost in my opinion.

All the best mate. Have a long and happy retirement. I’ve got 2 yrs and 2 months to go.
Yesterday after getting tipped I was asked to sign a piece of paper…I when I asked why, she said… It’s just to say that you’ve delivered it. I said surely those 18 pallets on the floor says I’ve delivered it.! No…sign here! So I put a stupid squiggle and she was happy! Wtf?

Get me out…

cheekymonkey:
All the best mate. Have a long and happy retirement. I’ve got 2 yrs and 2 months to go.
Yesterday after getting tipped I was asked to sign a piece of paper…I when I asked why, she said… It’s just to say that you’ve delivered it. I said surely those 18 pallets on the floor says I’ve delivered it.! No…sign here! So I put a stupid squiggle and she was happy! Wtf?

Get me out…

I’ve signed with some cracking names mate. (Never been one to miss out on mischief :wink: )

Some of my faves; Luke Skywalker, Saddam Hussein, Lord Lucan, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Captain James T Kirk, Iggle Piggle, Judge Judy etc…

Not forgetting my personal favourites; Hugh Janus and Jack Meoff.

the maoster:
Not forgetting my personal favourites; Hugh Janus and Jack Meoff.

True story now, at my school were two brothers. Their Dad Mr Hunt, was apparently a bit of a character. He named the lads Michael and Eric. And I promise that’s the truth.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk