Retest delay (shortage of examiners?)

Having failed at my C test last week in Norwich, I have rebooked another test for the 31st March as this was the earliest date available. Is it just in East Anglia that it is difficult to get a test or is this a nationwide problem? I was told that one of the examiners at Norwich was off on long-term sickness :confused: I have asked to be notified if there is a cancellation but it’s frustrating to wait when you are all keyed up & ready to go… :unamused:

dft.gov.uk/fyn/practical.ph … type=LBCCT

Did’nt realise the situation was as bad as that nationwide. By strange coincidence, the training company that I have been using (East Coast Driver Training in Norwich) called me this afternoon to say that they had a cancellation so I could have a test at 0830 am Saturday 28th Feb - hoorah. Just to be on the safe side, I’ve booked 2 hours the day before to practise my reversing :wink: & I also have 2 hours prior to the test to get back to driving an 18 tonner (DAF CF range change - luvely motor). Fingers crossed for this one… :unamused:

Hi mate, there was a bit about it in one of the truck mags a week or two back. Some areas are better than others but from memory I think Peterborough and Norwich were a couple of the worst for waiting times?

Passed my C+E this morning at Watnall (Nottingham) and my examiner had travelled from Corby, when I did my MOD 4 CPC a few weeks ago that examiner had travelled from Sheffied too!

My instructor was telling me that one of the regular examiners had come off his motorbike a week or two ago so that probably explains why in my case and another reason I was chuffed to pass 1st time today as wasn’t sure how long it would take to get another slot.

Again according to my instructor the examiners have said to him that DVSA is reluctant to pay them too much travelling / overtime so it’s resulted in a bottleneck in certain areas.

All the best for your re-test :slight_smile:

I found it wasn’t a problem with test dates when it came to retests, when I looked at the website for test dates, there was ALWAYS earlier dates available, but, the training schools are often booked up with other pupils, so they don’t have the ability to facilitate a retest on really short notice. When I had to have a retest on class C, I could of got in a week after I failed, but I had to wait a month due to the fact the place I was training with was completely booked up.

Although it may seem no tests are available it is often the case that trainers block book more tests than what they need and end up cancelling them a few days before they are due without penalty which in turn are then deemed cancellations and can be used by others

The issue is often in using those cancellations because at relatively short notice the candidate, instructor and vehicle all need to be available