Result

Great news… the government have won the vote on University fees, that means the little dears will have to pay their own bills rather than extracting more tax out of my meagre driver’s wages.

i m not that happy as i have 2 coming up to school leaving age and both want to go on to collage and university

I think the Government is obsessed with people going to University and has forgotten that we also need plumbers, electricians and truck drivers.

Not that I`m complaining. My pay packet has always understood the Law of Supply and Demand. Many of these graduates will find that their degrees are worthless, since everyone else will have one too.

But perhaps the Government should know.

Vince

How many university graduates relied on the good old british tax payer to pay their way through uni then find that once they got the diplomas they left for sunnier climates and bigger payoffs in other countries?

Why should we subsidise students? they have a good time bingeing on drinks etc, so let them pay their way. Lets face it, the government is not asking for cash up front here, what they are saying is this £3,000 per year is to be repaid once they go into full time employment.

So whats a bit debt? we’ve all got it and it’s simply a part of life now, if it were not the £9,000 or so uni Fees it would be around £100,000 for a house. Maybe these drop outs who attend Uni then realise that it’s not as easy as they thought, will think twice before applying to the Uni in the first place. It’s the like’s of these that have prevented others from getting in and cost the system a small fortune in wasted education.

And nope I did’nt go to uni or college (Except night classes for my CPC) which I had to pay for, other than that I was self taught, even school was a chore for me when I went :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mind you, I would love to meet up with all the teachers who said on my report that I had no future and would amount to nothing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I disagree. I’m actually tending towards the Tory view on the university front. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: So many people with degrees devalues those of us who haven’t got them. In some fields, we don’t end up even second class citizens.
Why do you think I gave up IT for a life on the road? Because I couldn’t get a job without a degree. Experience just isn’t enough these days. :cry:

Less degree places, and more trade training! And make it all free! :bulb:

Income tax pays it all back anyway. A graduate earning more pays more tax. Simple.

My son finished his HND course last summer and we, that is his parents, paid the tuition fees of £1100 up front for him. He lived at home with us and was working part time to finance the rest of his academic and social life.

The boss lady and I saw this as an investment in our son now which he can use for the rest of his life if he so chooses rather than wait until he inherits our estate, hopefully when he is in his 60’s.

It does strike me as perverse that even with the top up fees of £3000 a year the state, i.e. the taxpayers of this country, will be paying the remainder which was quoted as, on average, another £12000 a year.

I wonder how many taxpayers later find they cannot afford to use the services of some of our university graduates, like solicitors (the legal aid service is a joke if you are daft enough to declare any savings you may have). Another example I can readily think of would be dentists. Educated and trained with substantial taxpayers subsidy then move away from the NHS because of poor rewards and central control over treatment options. GRRRR it makes me so angry!!!

This country ■■■■■ ■■■■ for the things that our taxes are wasted on, namely asylum seekers.
And yes students should have to repay it through there tax codes when they are earning enough.

I also agree with the fact that they sould pay because when they go into full time work as doctors, lawyers etc will they charge tax paying clients half the £90 per hour cos they helped pay towards their schooling, i want my class 1 and have to fund it my self without complaint i must add.

Allikat, if they have to pay for it themselves then I wont have to subsidise some lazy git who does 3 years studying drama or social studies and spends most of the time in the Students Union bar.

I graduated from college in 1988 with a degree in cellular molecular biology. I spent $40,000 on my education to realize I made and make more money as a truck driver.

I drove locally in Los Angeles while I was attending college. I made 1 1/2 x’s more wages as a driver than a biologist in a lab.

My sister is a 2nd year medical student. She estimates she will be in debt to the tune of $250,000 when she graduates. She has received several scholarships but she will be paying for her education until 2020.

We don’t have subsidized secondary education in the US but somehow we seem to manage.

It’s all a big bunch of shoisters anyway. I went to college and worked part-time and still have a massive debt from student loans. But the great thing is, that because I don’t earn enough, I don’t have to pay it back. So the reality is that most students don’t need to pay back the amount they borrow to pay their way until they are earning big bucks.

And another thing - I only know a small handful of people whose job is anything remotely associated to the course/degree they did at college anyways!!

PS - Great avetar HairBear

Lostpup:
And another thing - I only know a small handful of people whose job is anything remotely associated to the course/degree they did at college anyways!!

true lol qualified mechanical/electrical engineer and electrician,btec, city and guilds, and whatdo i do …Climb trees lol go figure

Lostpup:

I’ve notice that too. I have a friend with a master’s degree in secondary education with a bachelor’s degree in English and she is working for the state of Missouri in the child support enforcement office.

My avatar :grimacing: He is who I am nicknamed after… the mighty Hairbear of “The Hairbear Bunch”. It was a popular cartoon in the early 70’s.

A driver who worked for me when I owned a trucking company started calling me that years ago. I would get busy (and stressed out) and run my fingers through my hair. By the end of the day I looked like I just finished an electric shock therapy treatment. :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Metalhead wrote

true lol qualified mechanical/electrical engineer and electrician,btec, city and guilds, and whatdo i do …Climb trees lol go figure

Know what you mean, B.Eng.(Hons) here and I end up driving a 7.5 for a pittance. Good points - doesn’t pay enough to qualify for paying back the loans, Bad points - doesn’t pay enough end of story. :cry:

I went to University (late in life) to learn something, learnt a lot then found out that nobody is interested in graduates over 30 unless they’ve been put through the system by the employer. :imp:

Personally I would rather be in a position to be able to pay back the loans, all I’ve got to do now is work out how I can fund my class2/1 so I can get on with the rest of my life :confused:

Jules

They come up with a compelling argument, those that benefit pay, OK I aint going to argue with it, so we as taxpayers will of course benefit in reduced taxation, right? Id bet wrong, playing tin pot emperors and throwing bombs about foriegn lands then rebuilding them, is an extremely expensive game, and needs paying for, they’ll still backscuttle us whatever, my contempt for them aint available in words right now. :imp:

Mal.