Restricted by law?

Have been seeing a proliferation of these stickers on the back of vans sub 3.5 tonnes.
Since when has the law changed to restrict sub 3.5t vans to 56mph?
Did my Freight National CPC in 1995 so might be out of the loop somewhat but ffs, limiters on vans■■?

Yep new 1’s are limited by law came in few years back not sure what year though

Pete the post:
Have been seeing a proliferation of these stickers on the back of vans sub 3.5 tonnes.
Since when has the law changed to restrict sub 3.5t vans to 56mph?
Did my Freight National CPC in 1995 so might be out of the loop somewhat but ffs, limiters on vans■■?

Are you sure they’re vans below 3.5t? Many vans over this weight use the same body & look very similar but have twin wheels & a higher gross weight!

But speed wise, any van that is not car-derived is subject to lower speed limits and always has been, check your highway code or theres another thread on here somewhere.

They are probably four tonnes or larger rather than 3.5t. I’ve seen a lot of utilities vans with this sticker on and they all had the beefed up rear axle.

Agreed Zebedee but only above 3.5 to 7.5t are restricted to HGV limits when limiters are fitted.
Nowhere does it state that sub 3.5t are subject to HGV limits.
It’s mostly money carriers and utility vans that have this.
Begs the Question, WHY?

there could be a nice little earner here.
van drivers wouldn’t be familier with how to knock of a limiter.
£25 sounds fare. :laughing:

Pete the post:
Agreed Zebedee but only above 3.5 to 7.5t are restricted to HGV limits when limiters are fitted.
Nowhere does it state that sub 3.5t are subject to HGV limits.
It’s mostly money carriers and utility vans that have this.
Begs the Question, WHY?

Cash-in-transit vans are probably more than 3.5t by the time you allow for the armour. Utility vans could either be over 3.5t to allow for heavy payloads, or be 3.5t vehicles fitted with a tachograph for towing - but I’m not sure whether a tacho-equipped 3.5t vehicle has to be speed limited.

animal:
Yep new 1’s are limited by law came in few years back not sure what year though

1 January 2008: All new vehicles of 3.5-7.5 tonnes GVW first registered on or after January 2005 and used solely in the UK will have to be fitted with limiters set at 56mph. All vehicles now in production are being fitted with speed limiters.

Lighter vehicles will probably be limited to 120kmh, 74.6mph over the next few years.

Why would they be limited to that, when the most they can legally do is 70?

I run round in an Iveco 65c18, which is 6.5 tons gross and had a limiter from new.
Quick set to with the Eltrac knocked the limiter off, goes like a train now.
The annoying thing is, the wing mirrors fold themselves in when I hit 85 :smiley:

cieranc:

I run round in an Iveco 65c18, which is 6.5 tons gross and had a limiter from new.
The annoying thing is, the wing mirrors fold themselves in when I hit 85 :smiley:

This may give the rep the chance to do 80mph legally in line with Europes 130kmh until he gets stuck behind Colin the courier :smiling_imp:

As long as he drives an electric car with a helium fuelled mobile phone :wink:

To clarify, it’s vehicles over 3.5t that are limited, it does not include ones that weigh exactly 3.5t which most Transit / Sprinters etc are.

mrpj:
To clarify, it’s vehicles over 3.5t that are limited, it does not include ones that weigh exactly 3.5t which most Transit / Sprinters etc are.

Not forgetting that 3.5t vans can pull a trailer, which would put them over 3.5t.

If the vans are speed limited does that mean they are banished from lane three?

starfighter:

yes.

I Delivered a tesco 3.5t sprinter on trade plates once, it was limited to 55, I think they get a reduction on insurance premiums but it could just be a fuel saving measure.

Simon:

mrpj:

Not forgetting that 3.5t vans can pull a trailer, which would put them over 3.5t.

Yes +1.

The act of towing a trailer would automatically reduce your legal speed potential anyway.

Towing reduces the speed limit, for sub 3.5 tonne vehicles but im sure there is no requirement to have a limiter installded, even if the vehicle has a tacho fitted, as it would then end up limited all the time.

Allot of utility compay vans are around 4 or 5 tonne gross as they have PTO driven compressors and generators installed and carry some fairly hevey equiptment.

Also most companys such as supermarkets are restricting the speed of there vans to save fuel as much as anything certainly with box vans the diffrence in fuel use between 55 and 70 is huge

cieranc:

Does the limiter not have to be checked as part of the MOT/tacho calibration?

limeyphil:

starfighter:

yes.

If a vehicle has, or is required to have, a speed limiter fitted and working, then it is not permitted to use the outside lane of a three or more lane motorway. If the vehicle is required to have a speed limiter fitted but it is not working, it will be illegal to use it on the public highway under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986