REST PERIODS

HAD A CONVERSATION LAST NIGHT COMPLETLY DONE MY HEAD IN ,
ANYWAY
DRIVE 30MIN,
OFF ROAD 1HR(WITHIN PRIVATE GROUND BIG YARD)
15MIN BREAK
DRIVE 4HR
30 MIN BREAK
IS THIS LEGAL :question:

ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS THERE A LEGAL MIN TIME YOU MUST DRIVE BEFORE TAKING A BREAK OF SAY 15MIN OR 30 MIN :question: [/b]

if VOSA accept your definition of OFF ROAD then yes -

from the VOSA website

Off-Road Driving

FAQ.55) What counts as off-road driving?

[See Section 34 of GV262]

The EC rules apply to vehicles used for the carriage of goods made on roads open to the public. Off-road driving therefore relates to journeys on any roads that are not open to the public, or to which access by the general public is restricted - such as army barracks, for instance.

FAQ.56) How do I record off-road driving?

[See FAQ.55]

Off-road driving should be recorded as “other work”.

If using the type of tachograph which automatically records any time the vehicle is in motion, a manual entry must be made on the reverse of the chart to indicate time spent driving “off-road” - ie. OW 09.00-12.00.

If using a non-automatic tachograph, the mode switch should be left on the other work symbol, and a manual entry made on the reverse of the chart, ie. OW 0900-12.00 (off-road driving) to help account for the missing mileage.

Part 1 - Yes, provided you mark your card at the end of the shift to tell Mr VOSA which bit of driving you are off road for…also wise to make a note on a piece of paper in case you get a tug before the end of the day. :wink:

Part 2 - No. The only stipulation is the 45mins break after/within 4.5hrs driving. Theoretically you could get in the truck, drive around the yard, go and have brekkie for half an hour, drive for the other 4hrs 29 mins, take 15 mins break and then drive for another 4.5hrs…not very clever though. :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i was always told that driving on private land is not counted towards driving time ,so this would be legal providing you write the details down on the back of the tacho chart…

also you can if you wish take a break after driving for only a few minutes if you wish. there is no legal minimum driving before taking a break only the maximum .

isnt that amazing, 3 replies in a matter of seconds. good job we were right :wink:

charlesscania:
ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS THERE A LEGAL MIN TIME YOU MUST DRIVE BEFORE TAKING A BREAK OF SAY 15MIN OR 30 MIN :question:

No minimum amount of time is defined in the regulations which is why there is the anomaly of being able to drive 8 hours 59 minutes with only a 15 minute break and remain legal. Drive 1 minute, 30 minute break, drive 4 hours 29 minutes, 15 minute break, drive 4 hours 30 minutes, break, while that is not very sensible it is legal.