Rest interputped by ferry crossing

Just a quick question.

Can anyone tell me if this is ok under the allowance to make movements during a daily rest due to ferry crossings etc.

Sunday. Drove from yard to Immingham dock and onto the ferry for Cuxhaven and removed tacho once parked on the vessel.

Monday. Arrived at Cuxhaven about 23 hours later, inserted tacho, drove off and parked up for another 3 hours to continue my rest to a more useful time to start my journey, at roughly midnight started my day from that point in time.

I presume that even though my daily rest on the ferry was over 11 hours, I’m still allowed to move on/off a ferry and then resume the rest period so that I dont have to start much earlier than needed or for example wait for the Sunday driving ban to end if we ship out on a Saturday and arrive Sunday evening.

I would say that as long as the total period of work didn’t exceed 1 hour you would be OK, but you would have effectively lost a days work time before needing a weekly rest (maximum six 24 hour periods between weekly rest periods).

I think that’s right but I am putting on bullet proof armour just in case :wink:

From “REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006”

Article 9

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

:smiley: I am thinking seeing that you can’t move during a weekly rest then personally I would call the movement start of shift and incorperated the 3 extra hours rest into a “split shift” scenario :wink:

of course I would only have done so if the tacho had been in for at least 10 minutes before moving ( daily checks) :smiley:

Tin hat on and waiting to be Hobbs’d :blush:

tachograph:
I would say that as long as the total period of work didn’t exceed 1 hour you would be OK, but you would have effectively lost a days work time before needing a weekly rest (maximum six 24 hour periods between weekly rest periods).

The total period of activity was probably less than 10 or 15 minutes. By the time I’d finished on Friday I was well within the 6 x24hr thing. I started my week at approx 18:00 on Sunday and my last card got pulled out on Friday at approx 17:00hrs.

montana man:
:smiley: I am thinking seeing that you can’t move during a weekly rest then personally I would call the movement start of shift and incorperated the 3 extra hours rest into a “split shift” scenario :wink:

of course I would only have done so if the tacho had been in for at least 10 minutes before moving ( daily checks) :smiley:

Tin hat on and waiting to be Hobbs’d :blush:

I wasn’t trying to claim it was a weekly rest to begin with, I’d already had 48 hours off before I made to 10 mile drive to the boat on Sunday. My question was based on the allowance to make two movements during a ‘daily’ rest in connection to a ferry crossing but I wanted to know if it still counted as my daily rest happened to be 23ish hours (26 including the other 3 added on at the end) which is much bigger than a regular 11hr daily rest. It would just have been easier to start driving once I’d got off the boat at Cuxhaven but it would have messed everything up with times as I’d have arrived at my destination at 3am, wouldn’t be able to start again whilst noon the next day etc. Sometimes if the boat leaves on a Saturday we get into Germany a few hours before the Sunday driving ban is up anyway, so I couldnt go anywhere and I dont want my daily spread to be slowly eaten up because I’m sitting on the dock doing sod all.

…and no, I did not perform any daily checks to drive off the ferry other than check my lights, build up my air and raise the trailer up as high as it’ll go to avoid the bumper being ripped off on the ramp.

I wasn’t suggesting you were trying to claim a weekly rest :wink:

Just suggesting a usable scenario :wink:

montana man:
I wasn’t suggesting you were trying to claim a weekly rest :wink:

Just suggesting a usable scenario :wink:

Yeah but I would still only be able to do a 15hr shift whatever way we look at it, so had that being the case I’d just have started my day from when I drove off the boat and not wasted 3 valuable hours of my shift resting for nothing. It makes much more sense for me to sit at Cuxhaven until midnight and start my shift then, as that means I’ll arrive at my destination in eastern Germany at about 8am (I usually have 1:30hr break on the way down instead of a 45 for a nap) and once I’m tipped I’ve got some extra time to use to head to my re-load point. But had I set off when the boat got it, I’d have got down there in the early hours, sat outside for 3 or 4 hours and by the time I’d have got tipped, would probably have to park up there, rather than 3 hours down the road.