Rest Breaks

Some haulage firms just don’t get it do they?
They take all the work on they can get and then expect to flog the driver to death by forcing him to drive maximum hours no matter what.
The four and a half hours driving limit is a maximum.
Not a target.
And a supposed road foreman just rolls over and takes it whilst sorting the cream out for himself.
And the sooner some of these cowboys realise that the better.
If I’m tired, hungry or need a meditation in the bog then I will stop.
If it upsets my second period of driving then that really isn’t my problem.

If all your expected to do is work up to your max hours you’ve probably got yourself a decent job.

No you’re not just expected to work up to your maximum hours.
You’re expected to repair the lorry yourself as well.

Saaamon:
If all your expected to do is work up to your max hours you’ve probably got yourself a decent job.

Trust me mate, he hasn’t.
I worked there and got out at the right time. It was good until alarm bells started ringing re- maintenance, ticket doctoring etc. Even when finished you’re expected to service/repair your motor, hang about like a turd from the boss’ arse, let the “road foreman” dish out the work leaving himself all the clean easy jobs for himself, constantly texting you to do more without question.

Muckaway:

Saaamon:

Trust me mate, he hasn’t.
I worked there and got out at the right time. It was good until alarm bells started ringing re- maintenance, ticket doctoring etc. Even when finished you’re expected to service/repair your motor, hang about like a turd from the boss’ arse, let the “road foreman” dish out the work leaving himself all the clean easy jobs for himself, constantly texting you to do more without question.

Easy… get the ■■■■ outta there.

I’m trying :smiley:

A company can expect what they like but in the end its up to the driver

Alot of posts on tnet are moaning for the sake of it ,reading this one the fella sounds propper ■■■■■■ off and unhappy :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

seth 70:
Alot of posts on tnet are moaning for the sake of it ,reading this one the fella sounds propper ■■■■■■ off and unhappy :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I can vouch for what he’s saying. Look at it this way, whilst working there my current employer (who was also my ex employer) asked me if I wanted to go back (with all the handball and nights out, London runs etc) and I jumped at it. I’ve spent most of my life around tippers and after working where Steve66 does, I’d finally had enough of the business and walked away.

Reminds me of when I Went to a couple of interviews last year at biggish transport companies and in both of them I was told somthing along the lines of

“you’ve only got so many driving hours and you will be making the most use of those hours as possible”

Didn’t get a job with either of them but it just shows how much some of these companies expect out of their drivers. Don’t get me wrong I’ll put in a days work as good as the next person but I imagine with some of these companies if you pull in for a ■■■■ they will be on the fone wondering why your stopped.

These cowboys don’t factor breaks into jobs, expect you to max out everyday, don’t understand the reduction rules, and the final insult is when they say ‘just have 9 off’ (reducing to 9hrs is at the drivers discretion). Name and shame these clowns

Didn’t you get him the job there Muckaway?

m1cks:
Didn’t you get him the job there Muckaway?

I did. Not sure whether I should regret it or not though. :blush: It was good when I started, just like ye olde days, however the customer we hauled for full time suddenly got a smart arse “managing” things, coupled with this self-appointed “road foreman” who’s so far up the boss’ arses he should change his name by deed poll to “Colon” and things went downhill.
That’s without mentioning the reliability issues of the wagons bought for the job…

Bradford1978:
These cowboys don’t factor breaks into jobs, expect you to max out everyday, don’t understand the reduction rules, and the final insult is when they say ‘just have 9 off’ (reducing to 9hrs is at the drivers discretion). Name and shame these clowns

if you can find me some where in the regulations a reduced daily break is at the drivers discretion then I will eat my hat. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Isn’t the 10th driving hour at the drivers’ discretion? If not it’s certainly regarded as such where I work now.

wildfire:

Bradford1978:

if you can find me some where in the regulations a reduced daily break is at the drivers discretion then I will eat my hat. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It does not say it is at the discretion of the company or the driver but the driver always has the final say if it is based on safety

wildfire:

Bradford1978:

If i want to take 11 off i will,knackers to wot office says,very rarely take 9 off,thurs night maybe if on nite out but never if i at home

I think 9 off should be illegal unless the driver is tramping.

say you live 45 mins away from the yard (traffic/whatever) this will take 1.5 hours off your rest, then 30 mins to eat and get to bed with intergestion, then wake up, have a shower and some food - thats another 1.5 hours, so you have lost 3.5 hours - having just 5.5 hours in bed, would you call that safe to go and do up to 15 hours?

No in my opinion.

Muckaway,

I hope you don’t regret getting me a job on here.
It was and still could be a good job to have.
But you know as well as I do that for as long as we have a road foreman who hasn’t got a clue and just says yes to everything, it will never be any good and the wagons will just get caned.
Been looking elsewhere but jobs are still hard to come by and I don’t fancy becoming agency fodder.

Trubster I would say that would be up to the driver to make that call. If they lived too far away to make a 9 hour viable then it’s up to them to get a different job. Simples. Or adapt to their reduced patterns pretty quickly!!