Request for 60's or 70's flat trailer pictures

I’m building an approx. one third scale flatbed trailer and looking for pictures especially of the rear of the trailer, any help appreciated

Should make your job easier , 60s and early 70s there were no sideguards or rear underun bars but 3 airlines were standard .

Thanks for that, I want to see where to position the lights and long vehicle plates (oblongs each side) plus triangular reflector which I think was above the lights and also where to cut off the under run bar as its too long at the moment

aabc.jpg

These might help Landowner ?

New 1972 Merriworth trailers. One a 20’ skeletal and t’other a 40’ Platform Skeletal dual purpose.

The rear lights are the round Rubbolite type which were popular at that time and are protected by a wire cage which was optional fitting (supposed to stop pilfering of the lenses) but most ran without these.

The " Long Vehicle " reflective marker plates became law around the early '70’s so it depends on your model age whether you include those ?

Hope this helps

Scan Merriworth 1.jpeg

Landowner

Couple of other thoughts came to me - the twin (either side) Long Vehicle reflector type signs were normally on an extra bracket immediately below the light assembly

As far as mudguards where concerned - if there was no decking (like on a skeletal) full half round type mudguards were needed BUT if there was flooring decking above the wheels, then a vertical mud shield front and back was used as the decking stopped the spray at the top ’

As Rigsby said, side under run protection bars weren’t required at this date but rear under run were, as shown (1972) and definitely from 1969 - they finished some six / eight inches in from the outside extremities

If you can’t find sensible photo’s on Trucknet, suggest some of the Corgi or Techno models will show you, these can be looked upon the internet ?

Thanks, those will be useful. If I can make the long vehicle plates I’ll put some on, if not it looks like it will have to be pre 1970. Building it from scrap and the scale was determined by the wheel size, wheels being the biggest expense at the moment.

Do these look about right ? rectangular long vehicle plate going below lamps on each side

T1.jpg

Coming on well Landowner -

Looks about right - obviously there were position dimensions that had to be complied with but many varying positions on different trailer makes, your do look OK

You’ll need to put triangular reflectors on - don’t know when that came into effect but certainly in the '60’s.
As for rear reflector marker boards, they also varied in design - some had " Long Vehicle ", others just red border and yellow centre (all reflective) - you can see some of these if you google : Trailer rear marker boards

Couple more photo’s - if you can enlarge them they might help

images.jpeg

HT1483B.jpg

Couple more " rear ends "

The Crane Fruehauf one I took from Bewick Transport photo’s and hope that he won’t mind

The TiR Express is a German built trailer but rear complies through Europe

027_27_00.JPG

Thanks that’s very helpful, the ERF with sheets load is the one most like what l had in mind. Difficult to find pictures of the rear of trailers.

landowner:
I’m building an approx. one third scale flatbed trailer and looking for pictures especially of the rear of the trailer, any help appreciated

can I ask why ? not being sarky or anything , just wondered :question:

Have an old 16hp ride on mower and some scrap steel so l decided to make something to drive around truck shows etc on.
Looked at the steel and saw a trailer. Looked at some small trailer wheels and thought that I’d use the size as a scale to work on and went from there.
The more l do the more l have to try and make it look realistic, going well so far

OzzyHugh:
These might help Landowner ?

New 1972 Merriworth trailers. One a 20’ skeletal and t’other a 40’ Platform Skeletal dual purpose.

The rear lights are the round Rubbolite type which were popular at that time and are protected by a wire cage which was optional fitting (supposed to stop pilfering of the lenses) but most ran without these.

The " Long Vehicle " reflective marker plates became law around the early '70’s so it depends on your model age whether you include those ?

Hope this helps

The 20ft Skellys used to bounce so much your lenses and bulbs normally fell off

I never had any trouble with round Rubbolite type I used.

Maybe it was where the rubber surround got old and worn by being pulled off so many times ? Or maybe they didn’t fall off as stealing them from parked trailers was rife - particularly at the docks where pick up of unaccompanied trailers took place - it cost a lot of money over the years to replace them.

moomooland:

Excellent that, thank you

Moo moo land

Nice close,coupled Crane Freuhauf there in W & J Riding livery, looks as if it rode well.

I see it has not got any reflective marker boards at the rear ?

Do you know what years this trailer was operated then, I.e. before requirement for reflective markers ? And, out of interest, are you legal to run it without these reflective boards to get to shows ?

I would say that as Crane and Fruehauf joined in the sixties and the reflective plates law came in in the late sixties then they may not have been fitted from new but as I recall, all trailers had to be fitted with plates at end of sixties regardless of age

Yes Landowner - that’s how I remember it with my trailers from 1969 we seemed to have them, certainly in 1971 onwards

What prompted my question was that it appeared that the W & J Riding C/F platform trailer is obviously a show trailer, is it currently being shown, and I wondered how come he didn’t have to fit them ?

If not needed - maybe that could apply to your model in accuracy and save you some trouble ?

Hugh

Following on from above post - I tracked the original photo and, believe it or not it was from 1970 at Royal Lancashire Show - so maybe it was 1971 that reflective marker boards appeared .

Hugh