Repower scania 124c 470 with a 420

Hi there , I got a 2001 124c 470 scania and I got the ■■■■■ with the 470 engine but the truck is a good truck if it wasn’t for the engine so I want to re-power with a 420 has anyone done this before■■?

My guess is at that age, changing the powerplant would cost more than what the truck is worth.

Ken.

whats wrong with a 470.

sammy dog:
whats wrong with a 570.

FTFY

Think the 420 and 470 are the same engine except the 470 has a Turbo compounder added to it.

I did 2 days in a 470 once, i think it was a 03 reg (it was a 4 series not an R series), it went like billy-o, i couldnt beleive how well it pulled. I didnt have to change down any gears from North Wales to Felixstowe (on motorways /dual carriageways) fully freighted with a load of paper. It was around 10 yrs ago, and i can still remember it now, so it mustve been good.

ive got 470 did have remapped to 520 pulls really well

sammy dog:
ive got 470 did have remapped to 520 pulls really well

Maybe that’s your answer.

My daily is an FH 540 which they tell me is chipped to 600. It out pulls the 670 Scania which is newer so perhaps drop a Volvo lump in LOL

hamishnz01:
Hi there , I got a 2001 124c 470 scania and I got the [zb] with the 470 engine but the truck is a good truck if it wasn’t for the engine so I want to re-power with a 420 has anyone done this before■■?

I know of 2 done. Both on round timber haulage the 420 is a capable engine the 470 is only good for 700 clicks before they blowup.Im sure a scania dealer would give you info on this.

I remember driving a 124 470 a few years ago while working with a mob with an agency. The thing I remember about that truck was that pulled like a train, but it drank diesel for fun. It was a thirsty mother hubbard! :cry: