Reporting Accidents To Own Insurers

Got back to the yard tonight to be informed that I’d reversed into the front of a small car on one of my drops! :smiley:

Contesting their spurious version of events is beyond my control.

Am I obliged to report this to my own insurers & will it bump up my premium if the Co’s insurers decide not to contest?

No not if it wasnt in conjunction with your own insurance IE your owm transport… ,if company vehicle= :wink: companys insurance …thats all you need to report really

Keep it shut.

Insurance companies use any oppotunity to prove what robbing ■■■■■ they are and put your premium up. Someone runs into you and it’ll cost you money in the long run…

IANAL but technically I believe you are obliged to inform them, the information asked is for is “Any accidents claims or convictions in the last five years”, not just for those made on a certain policy.

Put it this way, if you had 3 points on your licence, would you withhold that information from them because you got them in the truck?

You’d probably be ok not declaring it unless you had a very costly claim arise, in which case the insurance co would do a lot of digging.

Harrys correct ,
Legally I think you have to tell them !
But let’s face it who does , every one is scunnered with Ins Co’s they way the charge.
I recently changed my car ins it was cheaper for me me to cancel my currant ins (inc paying a £150 cancelation fine)
And start a new policy with another !

What bugs me me with ins Co’s
Is the points system,
Points count on a licence for 3yrs,
They stay on a licence physically for 4yrs,
INSURANCE count them for 5yrs !

How can the count them against you if I can produce a genuinely legal licence that is CLEAN after 4yrs ■■?

Fallmonk:
Harrys correct ,
Legally I think you have to tell them !
But let’s face it who does , every one is scunnered with Ins Co’s they way the charge.
I recently changed my car ins it was cheaper for me me to cancel my currant ins (inc paying a £150 cancelation fine)
And start a new policy with another !

What bugs me me with ins Co’s
Is the points system,
Points count on a licence for 3yrs,
They stay on a licence physically for 4yrs,
INSURANCE count them for 5yrs !

How can the count them against you if I can produce a genuinely legal licence that is CLEAN after 4yrs ■■?

Because the insurance firms are as corrupt as can possibly be and are allowed to police their own industry, so can get away with anything they choose.

Harry Monk:
IANAL but technically I believe you are obliged to inform them, the information asked is for is “Any accidents claims or convictions in the last five years”, not just for those made on a certain policy.

Put it this way, if you had 3 points on your licence, would you withhold that information from them because you got them in the truck?

You’d probably be ok not declaring it unless you had a very costly claim arise, in which case the insurance co would do a lot of digging.

I hear what you’re saying, but I’m worried it will bump up my premiums.

I have 4x personal vehicle insurance policies which all make sense to be comprehensive. AIUI, if I fail to declare something which they deem to be important, I’m still covered for 3rd party but I will lose the comprehensive bit when it comes time to claim.

& I will lose it, 'cos this incident (if succesfull) will show up on the CUE database.

dew:
Keep it shut.

Insurance companies use any oppotunity to prove what robbing [zb] they are and put your premium up. Someone runs into you and it’ll cost you money in the long run…

It’ll cost you a lot more if you don’t tell them, have an accident, and then they find out and refuse to pay out…

Paul

If you don’t declare any relevant information, an insurance company can knock back the whole claim meaning that Mr Patel and his whiplashed passengers could have your house off of you.

Best thing to do IMHO would be to phone a random insurance company (but not yours) as “Mr Smith” to ask for a quote, and when they ask about accidents or claims, to say “I had one at work, does that count?”

I had a bump in the van last year, my fault etc etc. informed my insurance co and instead of getting a renewal price of £1200ish (I’m only 20 :laughing: ) they whacked it upto £1800!! :imp: .

Stupid thing is they still say MY no claims count but I have an ‘incident’ on my file so my advice would be to tell them ■■■■ all robbing ■■■■■■■■

maga:
I had a bump in the van last year, my fault etc etc. informed my insurance co and instead of getting a renewal price of £1200ish (I’m only 20 :laughing: ) they whacked it upto £1800!! :imp: .

Stupid thing is they still say MY no claims count but I have an ‘incident’ on my file so my advice would be to tell them [zb] all robbing [zb]

Yep, sounds about right. Hence why I say keep it shut. It’ll cost you far more to tell them.

dew:
Yep, sounds about right. Hence why I say keep it shut. It’ll cost you far more to tell them.

Have you not heard about the CUE database?

insurancedatabases.co.uk

If I keep it quiet I might save on my premiums, If I STFU then it’ll cost me the comprehensive benefits of my policies.