Replacement Digicard Question?

When re-applying for a lost Digicard do i need to send another photogragh or will DVLA have my origional pic one on file?

I read the leaflet with the form but it does’nt say weather or not you need a to send one when re-applying…

Many thanks… :wink:

Should have it on file as they take the photo from the one supplied from your driving licence .

I cannot see an answer either way…
Replacing Digi smart card
I can call the DVLA tomorrow to find out if you wish?

ROG:

While you’re at it Rog, can you ask them how soon before the expiry date can the card be renewed, and alternatively, how long, if at all, the card is valid after the expiry date. Many thanks.

gb1:

ROG:

While you’re at it Rog, can you ask them how soon before the expiry date can the card be renewed, and alternatively, how long, if at all, the card is valid after the expiry date. Many thanks.

OK :smiley:

I had to replace my digi card last year and I DIDN’T need to supply them with another photo…if you have a current photocard licence then they WILL use that pic on file.

Cheers lads as always you’re a great help…

i second adams reply hes corrrect

Well I never sent a pic for my first digi card, they just used the pic they have on file. Obviously you will need to send a new pic if the one on your license is 10years old.

I have just spoken to the digi smart card section at DVLA on 01792 782 341

New photograph not required unless it is 10 years old
Photograph is taken from the driving licence records that DVLA hold

Renewal can be done 6 weeks prior to the expiry date - a reminder form is usually sent to the driver

Once the card has expired then it is not valid and no driving on a digi can be done until a new card is obtained - there is no leeway time.

Hope this helps to confirm what has already be said

Thanks Rog. Looks like taking next December off!

gb1:
Looks like taking next December off!

Why?

ROG:

gb1:

Why?

Nature of the job is such that we tend to be away for several weeks at a time, so could restrict my
ability to take on work as card expires 09/12/10.

gb1:

ROG:

gb1:

Why?

Nature of the job is such that we tend to be away for several weeks at a time, so could restrict my

I’m sure if you contact the DVLA on the number I posted then they will sort something :bulb:

ROG:

gb1:

ROG:

gb1:

Why?

I’m sure if you contact the DVLA on the number I posted then they will sort something :bulb:

Once we get towards the end of the year, and I can see how work is panning-out, i’ll give them a call.
You never know, they might be able to help. I would be happy enough to renew it earlier than 6 weeks
prior to expiry.

The point is that the ‘renewal card’ will not become valid until the current card expires. Your current card will expire at 23:59:59 on 09/12/2010. Your renewal card will not be valid until; 00:00:00 on 10/12/2010. If you put your renewal card in a VU before that date and time you will get an error message telling you you have inserted a non valid card and driving/ other activity will not be recorded on it.

If you put your expired card in a VU after the expiry date, you will get the same error message, however, you will be able to download, display or print out data that is stored on the card.

Initially when DVLA were first issuing cards they were able to set the ‘valid from date’ up to three months in the future. This may only apply to the first card issued and not to periodic replacements. Provided DVLA receive a ‘valid request’ for renewal more than 15 working days before the current card expires, they shall ensure you have the renewed card before your current card expires.

geebee45:
The point is that the ‘renewal card’ will not become valid until the current card expires. Your current card will expire at 23:59:59 on 09/12/2010. Your renewal card will not be valid until; 00:00:00 on 10/12/2010. If you put your renewal card in a VU before that date and time you will get an error message telling you you have inserted a non valid card and driving/ other activity will not be recorded on it.

If you put your expired card in a VU after the expiry date, you will get the same error message, however, you will be able to download, display or print out data that is stored on the card.

Initially when DVLA were first issuing cards they were able to set the ‘valid from date’ up to three months in the future. This may only apply to the first card issued and not to periodic replacements. Provided DVLA receive a ‘valid request’ for renewal more than 15 working days before the current card expires, they shall ensure you have the renewed card before your current card expires.

Thanks for that geebee45. Thats very interesting. I would imagine that if I have a covering letter from my employer explaining my work pattern,
it’s possible that a new card could be issued before I depart the country.
Again, thanks to you and Rog for your help and advice.