Replacement Digi card

A theroretical question:
If my card was due to expire in 11-12 months time, and mysteriously malfunctioned, lets say next week.
If I sent it off for a replacement while I was on holiday next week and not needing it. Would they send me a replacement card valid till the original expiry date in 11-12 months time. or do you think they`d validate the card with a new 5yr period. Also as the card was sent for replacement due to malfunction, would they still send the card back to my home address F.O.C

Hi mate

If your card as malfunctioned and you request a new one the date on it would be the expiry date as on your old one the only way i think you could get the date changed is to pay the renewal fee at the same time as sending the card back cos as you no the malfunctioned card is free but to renew its 19 pounds

Renewal

Before your card expires you will be sent a reminder. If you do not receive a reminder and you want to renew your card you will need to complete the D777B application form and send it to the DVLA with the relevant documentation and fee no later than 15 working days before the expiry of your card. To request a D777B form, contact the DVLA Tachograph Smart Card Helpline on Tel 0300 790 6109.
Fees for new or replacement smart cards

These are the current fees you’ll pay for new, replacement, lost, stolen or faulty driver smart cards:

Driver smart card fees
Type Fee
Card application £38
Renewal £19
Replacement - lost/stolen £19
Exchange £0
Malfunction £0

ive sent mine of a copule of times for change of address and its always come back with the same expiry date.