Renting a lorry

Hello all,

My sister wants me to drive a lorry with her gear in the back from Liverpool to Peterborough. Now she will need a 18tonne to a 26 tonne motor. Were do I go and what do I need to do when renting one out. Do I need to be a operator to be able to rent one out?

you will need an O Licence to rent an LGV

is there any other way around it by renting a truck?

Pay someone else to do it.

shuttlespanker:
you will need an O Licence to rent an LGV

This might be the effective situation as implemented by most rental companies, but the letter of the law (I think) is that you don’t need an O license if not “carrying goods (or burden) connected with any trade or business”

E.g. you can have an > 7.5t horse box and no O license needed if you aren’t transporting horses for hire and reward. Even says so in the VOSA booklet:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193236/A_guide_for_horsebox_and_trailer_owners.pdf

This place leave it a bit vague - you could phone them and ask:
http://www.kendallcars.com/vehicles/18t-hgv/

If YOU are moving YOUR STUFF and no one is paying/rewarding you I believe that is out of scope of O license requirement.

Micky why not ask your gaffer if he will rent one on your behalf, will probably get it cheaper too. I hear he used to be a driver himself so I’d assume he’d understand.

mickyblue:
Hello all,

My sister wants me to drive a lorry with her gear in the back from Liverpool to Peterborough. Now she will need a 18tonne to a 26 tonne motor. Were do I go and what do I need to do when renting one out. Do I need to be a operator to be able to rent one out?

Yes, you need an Operator’s Licence to hire any HGV, and the hire company will want to see it. You’d probably pay not much more to get a removals firm to do it, even with two blokes on the job.

It’s many years since I’ve rented a truck for personal use, but you used to be able to get a 7.5t in the same way as you hired a van, that’s on the rental companies insurance and no need to show an O’licence, but anything larger you needed to insure it and prove you had an O’licence.

Have the rules changed then? I wanted to hire a tractor unit for prom transport a couple of years back, wasn’t asked if I had any kind of licence though the hire firm knew me as a driver.

My better half who has grand father rights has hired a 12 tonner many years ago (before we met) from the same firm.

Now here’s an issue, we are planning to move house soon assuming everything goes to plan, and I was going to hire an 18t assuming my company will not let me use one of ours, will I be able to?

anisboy:
Have the rules changed then? I wanted to hire a tractor unit for prom transport a couple of years back, wasn’t asked if I had any kind of licence though the hire firm knew me as a driver.

My better half who has grand father rights has hired a 12 tonner many years ago (before we met) from the same firm.

Now here’s an issue, we are planning to move house soon assuming everything goes to plan, and I was going to hire an 18t assuming my company will not let me use one of ours, will I be able to?

It’s not illegal to drive a HGV over 7.5t without an O’licence provided it’s being used for personal use, but I suppose a hire company doesn’t want any come back should somebody get stopped using one of their vehicle without an O’licence. Especially if it was impounded, so generally they don’t hire them out, but if they know you and trust you then they might hire you one.

The problem now is hire companies and even fiancé companies
Want to see o licence is because Vosa have the powers now to keep the vehicle and sell it on
So as you maybe genuine they are unwilling to risk it Incase you did do a job with it
Got caught by Vosa for no o licence and bang goes the truck

Are you sure she needs an 18 tonner. If you stack it well you can usually easily get a 4 bed house in a 7.5 tonner?

Own Account Driver:
Are you sure she needs an 18 tonner. If you stack it well you can usually easily get a 4 bed house in a 7.5 tonner?

With the amount of crap my sister had I got a 3 bed in a high top lwb transit :wink:

Salford Van Hire in Leeds and Manchester will lend you an 18 tonner with tail lift.

£100 a day and £1000 deposit. Includes insurance for personal use.

Own Account Driver:

^This. I think the OP will find himself with far more room than he needs.

I’ve been amazed by how much i’ve been able to get into a Luton van in the past whilst helping people move, so a 7.5tonner would easily suffice I reckon.

I worked for a bloke who sent me to fetch the hire unit from wolverhampton, after much crap I rang vosa about his set up and he didn’t have an O license she told me on the phone he’d not long applied for one :smiley:
When I checked after the nov it was set to be decided it was refused, one less cowboy.

Could u not organise it as a backload with your boss

I’ll have a cheeky word with my boss

My ideas would be to get some quotes from removal firms.
They will supply a porter or porters to hump all the heavy stuff up the stairs without the risk of damaging your back or tearing muscles.
Or as said,bung it in your bosses trailer,give him some cash to use his truck.