Rent trailer out

I am looking at renting one of my trailers out and I wont see the trailer for some time if its been used by some else with an operators license ,who is responsible for it and who will be in for a wrist slap if it gets stopped and has a defect .am not sure if I will be servicing it or whose renting are .And whose olicence will it be under mine for owning it or there’s for operating it.

I have a trailer on hire and it goes back to the owner for service and repair but if a wheel falls off going down the road its on my head

That’s something you need to decide on with the person you’re hiring it out to.
Obviously if you’re taking on the responsibility for the service schedule then that needs to be reflected in the cost of rental. As for o licence, the person renting should have a space on their licence for running the trailer, not you. (It’s an operators licence, not an owners licence)

Although the trailer doesn’t have an operator’s licence disc it will still be running on the customer’s O licence, so he needs to have enough trailers specified to do so. It will be his responsibility for inspections and records relating to it.

Since it is your asset it is probably best if practicable, for you to undertake the servicing, repair and inspections yourself so that you can keep an eye on how well it is being looked after; you don’t want a wreck returned after the hire period and a long argument. It may be best to come to some special arrangement about the tyres and possibly the curtains or fridge, since they are possibly the most vulnerable parts of the trailer and likely to be the most contentious issue. Whatever happens I wouldn’t let it go to 13 weeks between inspections.

Thanks for the reply’s its for a mate of mine who is currently renting a trailer off his customer I’ve got mine stud doing nothing its not worth much but its its upto the job I said I would help him out and rent him mine as I cant work it for less than what he’s currently paying ,but once it leaves the yard I cant see it and I would rather leave it stud than risk a slap on the risk for some one else not doing there job.

Sell it to him?

It is the operator who is responsible for maintenance/inspections (even though they may well have a contractual arrangement with the owner to actually do the work - quite common with e.g. hired trucks). I would suggest a written “hire agreement” be drawn up - Doesn’t need to be anything fancy, just a note setting out that the weekly hire charge is £x and that maintenance/inspections are the responsibility of the hirer. Or, if you prefer it that way, include something to the effect that you (the owner) will require the trailer to be returned to you at specified intervals for inspection/maintenance.

There are two sides to this - One being the owner wanting to look after/keep an eye on his asset, the other being the legal responsibility for compliance with Construction & Use Regs etc.

Think that’s a good idea to get something put in writing .i don’t want to sell it as its currently vor and costs me nothing other than parking .but you never no what’s gona happen tomorrow I cant really find any work worth doing now .but should any work come on that’s worth doing put it through the garage and away we go again .one the reasons am thinking of renting it is that its already been stud 2 months and its on merc discs and been stud ain’t doing it any good at all.

Putting myself in the hirer’s position the very first thing I would want to see is a ‘first use inspection’ . I wouldn’t even dream of taking on without one and a proper service as well, if it had been stood for a couple of months. It certainly would not be going on the road otherwise.

lee mat:
Think that’s a good idea to get something put in writing .i don’t want to sell it as its currently vor and costs me nothing other than parking .but you never no what’s gona happen tomorrow I cant really find any work worth doing now .but should any work come on that’s worth doing put it through the garage and away we go again .one the reasons am thinking of renting it is that its already been stud 2 months and its on merc discs and been stud ain’t doing it any good at all.

So what’s your mate going to say/think when you say you need your trailer back tomorrow because you’ve got a job for it?