Renewing HGV Licence

Asking on behalf of a Friend.
He is coming up 65 … he has got forms from DVLA … Got his Medical done. The form says he also needs to submit a photo , it says “a fee is not required” … he says that means just for new photo … but is there a FEE to renew the licence.
I looked on DVLA website but I couldn’t find a definite answer … is it free :question:

The Rustler:
Asking on behalf of a Friend.
He is coming up 65 … he has got forms from DVLA … Got his Medical done. The form says he also needs to submit a photo , it says “a fee is not required” … he says that means just for new photo … but is there a FEE to renew the licence.
I looked on DVLA website but I couldn’t find a definite answer … is it free :question:

It said on my form the fee was £20

How i read it was, if they ask for a new photo then its free, if you wish to update the photo for your own reasons then £20 fee, but happy to be wrong.
No photo required if you have a current passport i understand.

Juddian:
How i read it was, if they ask for a new photo then its free, if you wish to update the photo for your own reasons then £20 fee, but happy to be wrong.

I think it’s the other way around. If you renew the photo any time they’re having to re-issue a driving licence for any other reason then it’s free.

Juddian:

I have a current passport and they still wanted a new photo. Sent it in without and got the forms back with an explanatory note a week later; had pics done at photo booth, re-sent it, back in two weeks.

No extra cost though.