Renewing HGV licence without CPC

Can any of you kind folks please help me over renewal of HGV/PCV entitlement? I heard a rumour that those categories are suspended at renewal until you supply a CPC? I always understood that you only needed one if you were driving for “commercial gain” and therefore if you just wanted to drive these classes for social purposes, you didn’t have to go through all the rigmerole of the 35 hour debacle. Can anybody PLEASE help me?? Geoff.

geoffllo:
Can any of you kind folks please help me over renewal of HGV/PCV entitlement? I heard a rumour that those categories are suspended at renewal until you supply a CPC? I always understood that you only needed one if you were driving for “commercial gain” and therefore if you just wanted to drive these classes for social purposes, you didn’t have to go through all the rigmerole of the 35 hour debacle. Can anybody PLEASE help me?? Geoff.

I reckon you understood right.
The rumour is ■■■■■■■■.

I agree it’s completely wrong to suggest you can’t use or renew your HGV entitlement without completing the DCPC.

Plenty of horse riders have LGVs used privately so renew their LGV categories without the need for DCPC if you want an example to quote

Thanks a lot to everyone for putting my mind at rest! Much appreciated.
And ROG, yes, good point about horse riders. I didn’t think of them, but I had in mind all the enthusiasts out there with preserved trucks, buses, military stuff etc, who just like to play once in a while, but obviously not for money!

Well this ‘is’ handy to know…

That’s if I decide to return to driving though… :blush:

Wonder what will have changed again in 5 years time though??

I’ve just received the paperwork for my renewal and there’s no mention of providing evidence of dcpc .