Renewal dates - cutting short my entitlement

Guys, I’m 60 on 28th May, so I had my medical & sent my forms & new photo off to DVLA early - I understood renewal could be applied for up to 4 months before my 60th birthday. However, the license came back with the truck entitlement dated for 5 years from the date DVLA processed the renewal - 4th Feb 15- instead of 5 years from my 60th birthday. They’ve cut short my entitlement by over 3 months.

I called DVLA, they said this was due to some new directive - I don’t believe that - they’d be cutting short everyone’s entitlement at renewal unless you left it right to the week before your license expired. I’ve submitted a complaint to DVLA.

Anyone else come across this ?

I’ve always thought that the 5 years starts from when they process the licence. Problem is in your case it’ll run out when you’re 64 and you’ve got to renew it when you’re 65 so don’t know how that’ll work

There must be a new 5 year directive as all licence holders now have to renew every 5 years, including a 25 year old hgv licence holder instead of having to do it once when they reached 45, then every 5 years after.

weeto:
There must be a new 5 year directive as all licence holders now have to renew every 5 years, including a 25 year old hgv licence holder instead of having to do it once when they reached 45, then every 5 years after.

+1 if you are outside when you need a real medical ie 44yrs old not 45 then you just sign a declaration and get your licence renewed. I believe you would then have it till 49 when you would fall under the requirement to have the proper medical. I’ve not heard of anyone having just a 1yr licence in the circumstances I have described.

5 years from the date of the licence issue

You just wasted the medical fee because simply changing the photo would have produced the same result if that was your first licence issued since dec 2012

markc1290:

weeto:

+1 if you are outside when you need a real medical ie 44yrs old not 45 then you just sign a declaration and get your licence renewed. I believe you would then have it till 49 when you would fall under the requirement to have the proper medical. I’ve not heard of anyone having just a 1yr licence in the circumstances I have described.

+1

I’m 33 and passed class C on 16 january 2015 licence expires 16 january 2020. so it seems to be 5 years for everyone from now on.

Is it 5 years for everyone from now (or whenever this came in) or 5 years from your next renewal? I ask because I renewed my UK licence a couple of years ago as the photocard was reaching its 10 year expiry and I’m pretty certain that it was issued for another 10 years. Its in England and I’m not so I’d have to double check but if it is 10 years do I still get those 10 years or has the 5 year thing being applied retrospectively to all pre-existing licence holders with 10 year validity?

5 years for everyone but for those under age 45 all they need to do is a self declaration not a D4 medical

D4 medical cuts in at the first renewal after age 45 which might be age 45 to age 49 depending how it falls

My old licence expires next week on my 70th birthday but I was able to renew it online in November, as I will be over 70 it has to be renewed every 3 years but they gave me 3 years from February, not from the date I renewed it.

I renewed it early in the hope that I would still be issued with the counterpart (which I was) as from January they will no longer be issued.

However it looks like the rules have changed for anyone under 70, the government website now says:

“Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current licence.”

robinhood_1984:
Is it 5 years for everyone from now (or whenever this came in) or 5 years from your next renewal? I ask because I renewed my UK licence a couple of years ago as the photocard was reaching its 10 year expiry and I’m pretty certain that it was issued for another 10 years. Its in England and I’m not so I’d have to double check but if it is 10 years do I still get those 10 years or has the 5 year thing being applied retrospectively to all pre-existing licence holders with 10 year validity?

I would say yours will be valid till the expiry date on your licence and from than on 5 years.

Martin:
My old licence expires next week on my 70th birthday but I was able to renew it online in November, as I will be over 70 it has to be renewed every 3 years but they gave me 3 years from February, not from the date I renewed it.

I renewed it early in the hope that I would still be issued with the counterpart (which I was) as from January they will no longer be issued.

However it looks like the rules have changed for anyone under 70, the government website now says:

“Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current licence.”

Renew your driving licence - GOV.UK

This is obviously a car licence and not an HGV?
And the medical for a car licence over 70 is just a box ticking exercise you do yourself.
I’m coming up to 72 and my car licence entitlement is for three years longer than my HGV.

Got to be just for B categories because any C or D categories would require a D4 medical being passed and that in itself gets interesting …

pre 97 C1 C1E categories would get 3 years with a D4
C1 C1E C CE categories gained by passing a test only get 1 year with a D4

bestbooties:

Martin:

Renew your driving licence - GOV.UK

This is obviously a car licence and not an HGV?
And the medical for a car licence over 70 is just a box ticking exercise you do yourself.
I’m coming up to 72 and my car licence entitlement is for three years longer than my HGV.

This is true, I did not bother to renew my LGV as I actually retired 9 years ago and am not likely to need it again :smiley:

ROG:
5 years for everyone but for those under age 45 all they need to do is a self declaration not a D4 medical

D4 medical cuts in at the first renewal after age 45 which might be age 45 to age 49 depending how it falls

Isn’t it right that some time in the future the digicard will be incorporated into the driving licence?

Thanks for all the replies - I’ll post up when DVLA respond to my complaint.

gerontius:
Thanks for all the replies - I’ll post up when DVLA respond to my complaint.

Waste of time complaining to DVLA as those are the rules the Govt set them to go by

If you want the system to change then try emailing your MP