Renew photo without a passport

my photo on my licence expires in June and I can’t use the photo from my passport as it expired years ago. I haven’t had a letter yet about renewal so I don’t know how to renew my photo. the post office said I can’t use a paper form as I have a hgv entitlement and their renewal service was down.
I received my renewal letter for my tacho card weeks ago and that expires at the same time.
I can’t be the only 1 that doesn’t have a passport that needs a photo renewed.
how do I do it?

The Post Office…

Will take the picture for you.

Follow the linky.

postoffice.co.uk/identity/r … ng-licence

You’re welcome. :smiley:

I have no idea if this will work but I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t ** you can renew a passport by taking a picture on your smart phone and sending that in, so surely you can also take a digital photo for your driving licence?

** DVLA are a law unto themselves so perhaps they aren’t as enlightened as the passport office!

Passport - we just went to local photo shop , got a photo done & daughters boyfriend did the rest , he is useful for the odd thing ha ha

If it was less then 10 years ago when the passport ran out you should have the option to renew your licence without updating your licence picture

DVLA should send you the appropriate forms for renewing within 56 days of it expiring.

Alternatively you should be able to do it via the D47P form since you have HGV entitlements which you can order from DVLA as that includes a section for renewing the pic (can’t remember the cost). Just one of those photo booth pics where you stick it to the back of the form, but has to be posted.

Thats how I renewed my pic but mine needed doing due to hitting 45.

gov.uk/renew-lorry-bus-coach-licence

What do you do if you don’t own any of the ID requested?

You can risk doing your own picture on a smartphone but it needs to meet all the requirements laid out online. As said you can go to a lost office and they will take the photo and upload it all online.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Big Chris:

If you have a passport you don’t need to send any ID far as i’m aware.

If no passport then a P60 plus bank statement that sort of thing, the only likely problem could be birth certificate but you can apply for a certified copy of one of those online which takes only a few days to arrive.
They usually return your ID paperwork before issuing the new licence.

Got my photos done last year at a local photography studio.

Charged £10, gave me a printed strip of six photos and also e mailed digital copies so they can be attached directly to electronic applications for licence / passport etc. If the photos are rejected for any reason he will do then again free of charge.

Tyneside

Juddian:

Big Chris:

If you have a passport you don’t need to send any ID far as i’m aware.

If no passport then a P60 plus bank statement that sort of thing, the only likely problem could be birth certificate but you can apply for a certified copy of one of those online which takes only a few days to arrive.
They usually return your ID paperwork before issuing the new licence.

There’s the rub with it, it says original documents only and everything I have is via emails.

got my driver’s medical tomorrow …according to the email received from D for Driver’s the only ID i need is my Drivers License.

I sent mine off for renewal last week. In bold on the front of the form it told me that I don’t need to send either payment nor a photograph.

I renewed my passport last year using a photo I took against a white background with my I phone. Maybe that’s why no photo required?

I recently renewed mine, I’m 65 in late July. The date on the front (4b) was June 8th, and my employer told me that this was when I needed to have renewed it by, but my entitlements on the rear didn’t expire until July 2nd. I also hedged my bets and sent in a new photo (done in one of those photo-booths at the local Co-op) along with a cheque for £17. I got the licence back, with the new photo, a refund of the £17 and the dates now coincide with my actual birthday next year, so a sort of result, but a bit confusing.

tallyman:
I recently renewed mine, I’m 65 in late July. The date on the front (4b) was June 8th, and my employer told me that this was when I needed to have renewed it by, but my entitlements on the rear didn’t expire until July 2nd. I also hedged my bets and sent in a new photo (done in one of those photo-booths at the local Co-op) along with a cheque for £17. I got the licence back, with the new photo, a refund of the £17 and the dates now coincide with my actual birthday next year, so a sort of result, but a bit confusing.

Thats handy to know about them rebating you for the cost of updating the photo if not requested/required.

They get enough stick but at the end of the day the people working at DVLA, especially in the vocational licence and medical sections are just working people the same as us, they don’t make the rules, the few times i’ve had to speak to them they’ve been helpful and friendly.

I took a photo on my phone, found a free site which I used to resize it, then printed it off at a local branch of Boots for a paltry price . Yes, it was accepted by the passport office :slight_smile: