renault tractor units

Anyone any advice on Renault tractor units 2019 are they good, bad, how do you rate them from others volvo, daf,mercedes, Scania ? thanks

Owned by Volvo I believe,

Everything under the cab is Volvo, the cab and electrikery are french,.

Love the T-range, one of my favourite trucks and if I were to become an owner driver the Renault dealer would be my first port of call

I think they’re great from a drivers perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

switchlogic:
Love the T-range, one of my favourite trucks and if I were to become an owner driver the Renault dealer would be my first port of call

Really? Please do expand…

Having driven them for at least the last 5 years, barring a couple of months in a Volvo or DAF. Renault Trucks has been under the control of Volvo since 2001, and you can tell! There’s been a LOT of improvement over the Premium.

The gearbox takes a while to learn properly, I’ve put 1700km on the one I’m in now since it was delivered new with 30km on it.

The cab is on the small side, with 2 overhead lockers as there is a TruckChef Microwave on the passenger side. Double bunk, which is ok for storage, but does limit space further over the bottom bunk.

External side locker each side, N/S is accessible from in the cab, under bunk. O/S is small with the towing eye upright in the middle. Also under bunk is another storage compartment.

Fridge is small, but will go down to freezing temperatures at the back.

Bed is comfy, driving position is too. Engine jump is still present, unless you get the T-High cab.

Fuel economy so far is around 6.8mpg, running fully freighted on general haulage 90% of the time.

mardybum:

switchlogic:

Basically you get a huge amount of truck for your money, one of if not the cheapest tractor unit on the market. And tarted up they look fantastic

Comfortable lorry vast improvement over the premium for room storage etc, different specs though some with fridges , some with up graded seats, steering wheel , some with leather seats, Volvo driveline , 460 capable enough lorry , but if you want the real deal look for a 480,as this is the Volvo 13lt engine rather than the 11 lt 460,
480 easier on fuel if your working heavy also , ours run 200 mile a road and 200 mile motorway on a night run and heavy going max weight 480 runs 8.2 460 runs 7.7mpg
For the money you pay it’s a lot of lorry, ok there are things that are silly like air dam collars on the side of the cab , so flimsy if you catch your coat on them they break , side pocket doors are made of much of the same stuff , but as switch says for an owner driver there hard to beat ,
Not super space cab size but capable enough we add the back lockers , for microwave and storage , forget about the top bed and the drivers are happy with them .

mardybum:
Fuel economy so far is around 6.8mpg, running fully freighted on general haulage 90% of the time.

Wow! That’s pretty poor tbh mate. It’s the sort of figures I’d expect from ab load or perhaps forestry work using a PTO a lot. Not knocking your driving style btw, just saying that it appears pretty low for a modern motor.

the maoster:

mardybum:

Wow! That’s pretty poor tbh mate. It’s the sort of figures I’d expect from ab load or perhaps forestry work using a PTO a lot. Not knocking your driving style btw, just saying that it appears pretty low for a modern motor.

Cruise control or limiter set at 54, coupled as close as I can, generally bimble along.

Generally don’t run at anything under 38t loaded.

Can’t take your picture seriously. You were listening to Fatty Feltz ffs :smiley:

Company I used to work for, had 10 of them, on 15 plate, and the local dealer put out a recall for camshaft problems on them all. A modification was issued, so check with the dealer to see if it still exists.

They have now changed them for space cab DAF’s, which are all under 2 months old, and are having nothing but problems of varying nature. Odd really, as I have just got a brand new XFSSC, and have nothing but praise for it.

The problem is with Renault is, those that knock them, more than likely haven’t driven them,(I was saying the same thing on here a decade ago.) and do you know, I have had them from the early Premium with the 8 speed slap over box, right through the auto Premium, up to the T Range, and as a fleet truck, you may not find better for the buck. They are probably no worse than others, and do exactly the same job as a Megatrotterspacecab, but for half the price.

One thing to note, and I was told by a dealer, that the partnership with Renault and Volvo, no longer exists, although I beg to differ, as you still see evidential parts on the T Range, like fuel tanks, adblue tanks etc.

So. Summing up. What to watch for…

French electrics, side air deflectors are like soft cheese and break easy, so treat them carefully. Potential camshaft problems. Other than that in my experience, not a bad motor.

Ken.

Quinny:
Company I used to work for, had 10 of them, on 15 plate, and the local dealer put out a recall for camshaft problems on them all. A modification was issued, so check with the dealer to see if it still exists.

They have now changed them for space cab DAF’s, which are all under 2 months old, and are having nothing but problems of varying nature. Odd really, as I have just got a brand new XFSSC, and have nothing but praise for it.

The problem is with Renault is, those that knock them, more than likely haven’t driven them,(I was saying the same thing on here a decade ago.) and do you know, I have had them from the early Premium with the 8 speed slap over box, right through the auto Premium, up to the T Range, and as a fleet truck, you may not find better for the buck. They are probably no worse than others, and do exactly the same job as a Megatrotterspacecab, but for half the price.

One thing to note, and I was told by a dealer, that the partnership with Renault and Volvo, no longer exists, although I beg to differ, as you still see evidential parts on the T Range, like fuel tanks, adblue tanks etc.

So. Summing up. What to watch for…

French electrics, side air deflectors are like soft cheese and break easy, so treat them carefully. Potential camshaft problems. Other than that in my experience, not a bad motor.

Ken.

Turn the “ashtray” that’s in the cup holder over, and it says Volvo underneath.
Without “upgrading”, you won’t get a Renault with LED lights as standard either, Volvo save that for their own units.

The Camshaft issue is across the Euro6 range, to lighten it, it is now a hollow tube with the lobes “sweated” on, Euro5 was a solid Camshaft. Ask me how I found out, it cost 2 injectors too!

the maoster:
Can’t take your picture seriously. You were listening to Fatty Feltz ffs :smiley:

I came over all funny and switch to R2 far too early this morning, and my day was ruined with the voice of Vanessa “Fatty” ■■■■■■, saying that Boring Ball isn’t any better, but at least I can get traffic updates listening to her whine on!

So the junk of the past comes to the forefront I never seen it coming they were the first with the walk across floor which was a whole new direction
The design was un heard off at the time it was designed for the driver
In reality I would not ever post that it was the best truck to drive it would be a embarrassment to most companies who have a reputation in only buying the top of the range trucks for prestige and future value
You even have old heads saying they are good but really they are a poor mans truck with zero resale value and most of all a poor mans truck

switchlogic:

mardybum:

switchlogic:

Basically you get a huge amount of truck for your money, one of if not the cheapest tractor unit on the market. And tarted up they look fantastic

Nice, always thought you were more of a Volvo man to be honest.

Nice to hear them getting some praise.

Was talking to one of the lads at Thompson’s in Grimsby a few weeks back, and they can put out an 8 legger, on the road ready to work, for the same price that Scania charge for a chassis. Unbelievable…

mardybum:
The Camshaft issue is across the Euro6 range, to lighten it, it is now a hollow tube with the lobes “sweated” on, Euro5 was a solid Camshaft.

Correct. But Renault were not quick to tell customers. My ex employer only found out when one engine went west, so if anyone is planning on buying a Euro 6, new or second hand, they would do well to get it in writing that the mod has been done.

Ken.

camshaft problems were only on 460 variants , as far as I know and Renault are usually very good at costumer back up ,
one of the main reasons we have them too ,
as far as being a poor mans lorry this subject could be argued to death , a top sec 520 flat floor Renault is something in the region of £30g cheaper than an Scania s500 same spec , so how would the Renault be worth the same price when there 4 years old , eg worth nothing I hear said , in the meantime I know where id like my £40g to be and it wouldn’t be in finance , around my area a lot of die hard v8 men and top spec volvo men are running t520 Renaults , and are really happy with them, there are quite a lot of reasons for this price , dealer back up and availability ,plus warranty , see them going out the door like hotcakes , one operator in particular never had any are now has eight in a fleet of 40 mainly volvo Scania daf trucks , motorway running heavy will see low 9mpg light can be anything up to 11.5 mpg ,as I say go for the 13lt 480 -520 models

Quinny:

He’s talking nonsense, Volvo own Renault and that’s not going to change any time soon

Bigtruck3:
So the junk of the past comes to the forefront I never seen it coming they were the first with the walk across floor which was a whole new direction
The design was un heard off at the time it was designed for the driver
In reality I would not ever post that it was the best truck to drive it would be a embarrassment to most companies who have a reputation in only buying the top of the range trucks for prestige and future value
You even have old heads saying they are good but really they are a poor mans truck with zero resale value and most of all a poor mans truck

Poor man’s truck! Imagine buying trucks on the basis of what others think about them! Thankfully there are plenty out there who have sensible heads and know well the secret of how good the T is. As for resale value as another mentioned you pretty much get back what you put in, so while a second hand Scania may sell for £20/30/40k more than the equivalent Renault it’s only your own money you’re getting back, extra money you wasted buying the ■■■■ thing! Scanias are good but not £30,000 extra good. Give me the 3 poor man’s lorries to 2 Scanias any day of week Renault and we’ll see who’s in business longest :wink: