Renault T Range...Handbrake and Gear Selection?

Talking to a guy the other day who has a T Range he mentioned about something about the handbrake not being a conventional type of handle but more a switch type thing on the dash. Also something about keeping the auto box in Drive when selecting Reverse. I felt a wave of confusion coming over at this.

Can anyone clarify any of this and how they operate? Didn’t have a chance to find out from the other guy as he was called onto a bay.

Its electric, same as volvo(it is basically a volvo). No need to manually release it, just put your foot on the gas pedal and it releases automatically.

Reverse is how you said, im not sure if theres a way where you dont have to put it in a forward gear before you select reverse. If there is, i havent found it out yet. Il have a read through the manual tomorrow when im watching sprinklers.

Oh right, thanks for that. How do you put the handbrake on?
Is there a separate lever / switch you select reverse with?

The handbrake will need manual release if door opened before pulling off. Simply press whilst accelerating if this happens.

Drive is twisting the big nob on the right stalk forward. After doing this twiddle the smaller nob on the outside of the same stalk backwards to engage reverse. Pulling the nob/shaft forward like a flasher will switch from manual to auto.

Lots of nobs to play with but you soon get the hang of it.

too late… sorry…

Thanks lads, sounds like more to go wrong!

Applying the handbrake is simple just pull it a bit. It’s a big square button in the top of the dash about half the size of a mobile phone, 2 little red lights on either side will indicate it’s on. I’m forever pulling mine as in normal conditions just tap the accelerator and away you go.

Should pick it up quite quickly.

One of the companies I work for (I’m a limper with a plastic bag) has one of the first T series I think it’s a 13 reg brilliant vehicle and I was a fan of the premium but over the last 2 years it has developed a habit of not going into reverse when asked as we are on multi drop pallet deliveries with an urban tailift trailer this can be embarrising anyone got any helpful hints to get it to do what I ask ■■?

There are two rotating switches on a Renault gear selector. One is D (drive) and N (neutral). The other is R (reverse) and C (crawler).
So if D (drive) isn’t selected, the gearbox will be in N (neutral) meaning you won’t get any gears, not even reverse.

The other good thing with it is, when you pull up and turn the engine off, the truck will put the hand brake on and put it into neutral automatically.

Thanks everyone, certain enlightening but I bet it increases the possibility of things going wrong with everything becoming electronic instead of manual.

The other problem is that a driver with one of these, who gets into another truck, is likely to forget to apply the parking brake etc.

It really is a simple (and very good system), and after 5 minutes it will become second nature.

Yep, relying on auto handbrake application, auto lights off, auto neutral selection.
What could possibly go wrong :unamused: when the tear arse of the day bales out before the lorry’s even come to a complete halt.
but more to the point what possible advantage can be gained by automating these basic driving necessities, yes we all know its further automation in their ■■■■■■■■■ ambitions to replace the driver but that simply isn’t going to happen for decades to come, we aint going to have drone lorries zooming about all driven remotely by some yeehaw in a bunker zapping bad guys and any poor bugger who happens to be in the vicinity being collateral damage, certainly not in this country where it’ll be standing room only within two generations.

justtickingover:
Thanks everyone, certain enlightening but I bet it increases the possibility of things going wrong with everything becoming electronic instead of manual.

Of course. We all know manual things NEVER go wrong don’t we :wink:

my insignia has an electronic handbrake and after 3 years am used to it, actually I quite like it now.

Juddian:
Yep, relying on auto handbrake application, auto lights off, auto neutral selection.
What could possibly go wrong :unamused: when the tear arse of the day bales out before the lorry’s even come to a complete halt.
but more to the point what possible advantage can be gained by automating these basic driving necessities, yes we all know its further automation in their ■■■■■■■■■ ambitions to replace the driver but that simply isn’t going to happen for decades to come, we aint going to have drone lorries zooming about all driven remotely by some yeehaw in a bunker zapping bad guys and any poor bugger who happens to be in the vicinity being collateral damage, certainly not in this country where it’ll be standing room only within two generations.

I have to agree with you, its impossible to write completely bug-free software (hence many of the Windows updates you get from Microsoft for your computer) so occasional random faults may occur. I also agree with your pessimistic view of the future here, but I’m too old to emigrate to NZ and the Falklands might be given away to Argentina someday. Good features of both NZ and the Falklands IMO they are free from EU interference and not overcrowded,

weeto:
The other good thing with it is, when you pull up and turn the engine off, the truck will put the hand brake on and put it into neutral automatically.

If it’s the same as the premiums always put it in neutral as it won’t start when it’s in gear and if your air drops you then can’t get it out of gear.