Renault Premiums

Hi guys never driven but been offered the new T9 on really good hire deal - I have driven The Scania DAF VOLVO MAN but never Renault - I would really appreciate serious comments and reviews about these trucks if anybody would like to share their thoughts and experiences? It will be used tramping all week on distribution and containers. Thanks all

Do you mean the New Renault T range?

Load on here about them. Also loads on trucknet about Premiums if you search.

I love my Premium, lovely to drive and pulls like a train. Downsides are the criminally low amount of storage in the cab. One small lockable locker and one large one that’s not lockable. The bed is great though.

aren’t the new ones just a Volvo rebadge in any case?

the last one I drove was older but went like stink, agree sod all storage but a few boxes in the passenger well etc would solve it.

good motor,i had a 460,pulled like a train,and a ■■■■ sight more comfortable than a Scania,though a bit short on external locker space but ive driven some with less space,and,as previously said,a badge engineered Volvo

war1974:
aren’t the new ones just a Volvo rebadge in any case?

the last one I drove was older but went like stink, agree sod all storage but a few boxes in the passenger well etc would solve it.

I believe they share drive lines, but if you’ve looked at the cab of the new T range doesn’t seem to have anything in common with the new Volvo, inside or out.

Radar19:
I love my Premium, lovely to drive and pulls like a train. Downsides are the criminally low amount of storage in the cab. One small lockable locker and one large one that’s not lockable. The bed is great though.

Your rigid premium with small cab aint the type of lorry the ops on about radar,sorry pal but the only thing that will be the same is the badge on the front :grimacing:

seth 70:

Radar19:

Your rigid premium with small cab aint the type of lorry the ops on about radar,sorry pal but the only thing that will be the same is the badge on the front :grimacing:

Ouch! The low blow delivered delivered by Seth was the knockout. :smiley: :smiley:

niteliner:
Hi guys never driven but been offered the new T9 on really good hire deal - I have driven The Scania DAF VOLVO MAN but never Renault - I would really appreciate serious comments and reviews about these trucks if anybody would like to share their thoughts and experiences? It will be used tramping all week on distribution and containers. Thanks all

you work to earn money.

Immigrant:
you work to earn money.

Yes you do but if paying a little more a month gives you a whole different level of comfort or far more storage space for your gear, both of which make life far more pleasant when tramping, then sometimes paying that little bit more is worth the money.

niteliner:

If It is a T Range, then storage space shouldn’t be an issue, you’ll either have an under-bunk storage drawer (might have a fridge in) lots of front overhead locker space with shaving mirror :smiley: and 2 reasonable outside lockers, with one being accessed also from inside the cab.

Depending if its been ‘specced’ it may have the convertible upper bunk that folds into a storage shelf or alternatively ask for the ‘Kuda’ locker conversion if you really do need the storage.

The truck it’s self isn’t a re-badged Volvo but does as you’d expect being part of the much larger Volvo AB Group share lots commonality throughout, especially on engine, gearbox and chassis. The Cab is Renaults (and yes we would all love the high cab) but for 90% of operators the space offered inside is ideal.

Many of my customers have actually said the Opti-driver (Renault version of I-shift) change’s a little better than big brothers and the 11 litre 460 again for 90% of operators offers excellent balance of performance and fuel return.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

seth 70:

Radar19:

Do you get rigid Premiums? I drove an 18-tonne Renault for Norbert Dentressangle and it was branded Midlum, though it had much the same cab.

Chrome Lozenge:

niteliner:

If It is a T Range, then storage space shouldn’t be an issue, you’ll either have an under-bunk storage drawer (might have a fridge in) lots of front overhead locker space with shaving mirror :smiley: and 2 reasonable outside lockers, with one being accessed also from inside the cab.

Depending if its been ‘specced’ it may have the convertible upper bunk that folds into a storage shelf or alternatively ask for the ‘Kuda’ locker conversion if you really do need the storage.

The truck it’s self isn’t a re-badged Volvo but does as you’d expect being part of the much larger Volvo AB Group share lots commonality throughout, especially on engine, gearbox and chassis. The Cab is Renaults (and yes we would all love the high cab) but for 90% of operators the space offered inside is ideal.

Many of my customers have actually said the Opti-driver (Renault version of I-shift) change’s a little better than big brothers and the 11 litre 460 again for 90% of operators offers excellent balance of performance and fuel return.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Renault were always a good truck, just had an Image problem, though I’ve never driven a Volvo engine Renault, the last Premium I drove was an 05 420dci, drove it from brand new for 4 years, never needed any out off service spanner work. I haven’t driven one since 2009, but drove 4 premiums over an 11 year period, form 98-09 and before that drove a Turboliner and G290 for 2 years each, all tramping.

I’ve had a look around the T range, and with the rear cupboards, they are as good as any other truck for tramping I reckon, room for a Microwave in those rear cupboards too :wink:

I would take the new shape Renault over a Scania R series any day. The new Scanny R450 pulls very well even with a load on, I’ll give it that much, but no thanks. Horrid things if you ask me. Go with the Renault, cracking engine and box as said above all Volvo stuff. Cant get better!

IndigoJo:

seth 70:

Radar19:

Do you get rigid Premiums? I drove an 18-tonne Renault for Norbert Dentressangle and it was branded Midlum, though it had much the same cab.[/quote

Yeah you get rigid Premiums. We have both Premiums and some ex N Dressangle Midlums.

The midlums are built to a price. A smaller cab, with a very narrow bunk. Only really suitable for an odd night out IMO. They also seem to have no suspention. Hit a bump and you teeth nearly come out. My gaffer told they even have a thiner ply board on the bed, and having pulled a few heavy pallets with a pumpa truck and watching the floor bow I believe him.

Secretelephant:

IndigoJo:

seth 70:

Radar19:

Do you get rigid Premiums? I drove an 18-tonne Renault for Norbert Dentressangle and it was branded Midlum, though it had much the same cab.
[/quote

Yeah you get rigid Premiums. We have both Premiums and some ex N Dressangle Midlums.

The midlums are built to a price. A smaller cab, with a very narrow bunk. Only really suitable for an odd night out IMO. They also seem to have no suspention. Hit a bump and you teeth nearly come out. My gaffer told they even have a thiner ply board on the bed, and having pulled a few heavy pallets with a pumpa truck and watching the floor bow I believe him.

Yes there are still a few Premium rigids knocking about, the new truck that covers the 10-26t Range is called the D Range and is remarkably similar to the Volvo FL/FE :wink:

The T Range can also be bought as a 4x2 and 6x2 rigid although with the smallest engine being a 380 maybe a bit too much for 18t :laughing: although we have sold some. For contract hire purposes the T Range at 26t should work out cheaper than the D range
giving bigger cab, bigger engine and better truck for less money. This woulould be due th the T Range having 2 years R+M inlcuded and a better residual value.

IndigoJo:

seth 70:

Radar19:

They’re called Landers (well mine is) but they can have the big cab.

Agree with other posters re. the gearbox; it does seem to be more controllable than the Volvo; mine still has the “kickdown” on the throttle which is very useful.

If I have a criticism, it is that it is far too easy to knock the headlights off when using the indicator stalk, and the steering column is over-cluttered. Having the main light switch on the dash, Volvo style, would be better.

That apart, good truck; the new cabs have better storage space and the whole design seems to have been well thought out.