Renault Premium

Our new Renault Premium 420 DCI’s are starting to arrive, :frowning: which means I’ll have to say goodbye to my 02 plate MAN with all the toys on, :cry: and I’ll also have to change my profile on this site.

Has anyone on here got one of the said Renault’s,and are there any ‘tricks’ that I,and my fellow colleagues,should be aware of?

yes… say good by to any power u were used to… they are sh…
was talking to a renault rep some time ago. he reckons them 420dci.s are chucking out about 380 and not the 420 u would think… see a hill and die…i used to call the one i had…brand new when x reg was new, anything over 15 tonne and it was nackered…

Agreed. I had one, it was a 400 and it was atrocious. The engine sounds like one off a 7.5 tonner and the bottom drivers step will rattle like hell. They have no pulling power at all.

Anything Renault = bad. You’ll definitely miss the MAN (if it was a TGA410 or higher).

Start looking forward to hating your job.

Brgds

Speedy

Well i like mine, comfortable, plenty of room for storage, plenty of room to move about if you living in it. yes it has downsides like terry said, it wont pull the skin off a rice pudding, although it seems to do a little better with some weight on the drive axle. an outside box for dirty kit would be nice. Apart from the engine hump there isnt any flat space to put your TV, mug, pens etc on, so you will probably want to invest in/make a table. The biggest thing you will notice coming off a MAN is the power, nowhere near as good as MAN on that. biggest pointer in driving em:- whatever you do dont go from a gear in high range to a gear in low range above 20MPH it will screw the clutch totally. its a slapover box btw

The seats rub against the bed, so both will be holed in 6 months, they also get through those retarder levers behind the steering wheel, so handel with care.
I also dislike the lack of stowage for the air lines when not in use & the coupeling light is not the best either.
Power wise I find they pull no worse than Comparable Volvo’s or Daf’s.
What did you do to lose the MAN & have it replaced by a Renault ?, it must have been bad is my guess.

if you look behind the cab properly you will find hangers for the 2 air lines and stowage sockets for the ABS and electrical lines, they are well hidden though, and not the easiest access, and that light should be on the other side really.

Yes I agree with all of the above comments.

What happened was my company started this contract a few months ago,and the only vehicles they could get in a hurry on hire,were 400hp Premiums,one of which I got so I’m familiar with them.As the job progressed,more men started and as a consequence,more units were required which were then sourced from Hill Hire.

Now being one of the original staff,I progressed to the MAN,as someone else got my Premium.At the outset,our company ordered new Premiuims at 420hp,coz,Renault were guaranteeing the fuel consumption.SOLD to the idiot with the cheque book.

However.Time has now passed where the first batch were delivered today,(2) and all 15 will have been delivered by next week.They have the auto box in them,so this will be interesting to use.They also have air con,cruise control,electric sunroof and as I get mine,I’ll tell you what else.

As for power.Yes,I have passed some with the TGA410 MAN,but also I have been passed by some DCI 420’s as well,so these drivers must know a trick or two,and it’s this information I’m after.

God how I’ll miss the MAN.

Drove one of “Montys” premiums last week for a day and I didn’t think it was too bad.I picked the unit up at Larne port and as I drove it away I was dreading this slap-over gearbox as it was parked beside other drivers waiting on the ferry to dock and I Thought here goes the ****up.Pleased to say I didn’t mess up the gears and the box once you are used to it and give it some time it is handy enough to get on with and I didn’t think the Renault was much down on power compared to the 400 Scania’s that I’m most used too.The cab was the high roof version which had plenty of room for a fleet truck,but I did miss the cruise control and that engine, talk about sounding like “Casey Jones” and his “Steaming and a rolling” choo-choo train!!! :wink: :smiley: :slight_smile:

I personally like the auto box, one of the better ones it has to be said.

Hello im new my name is Ryan,Quinny what type of MAN was it lx xl xxl i was just wondering because i think MAN is the best truck in the world!!!

It’s actually a standard height sleeper cab.No xl,xxl or anything else for that matter.However,insofar as toys are concerned,if this is a fleet truck,then it comes well equipped.

Ah ok ive been in the MAN XXL and it was the best truck ive ever been in. :smiley: Do you like your MAN or have you driven better. :question: :unamused:

P-R-E-M-I-U-M =

Problem Renault Engine Maybee Insufficient Up Mountains

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

had 3 at city but they were 385s at full weight they went like trains anything less asnd it stuffed make sure the air filter is kept clean as this will affect power the 420 comes with cruise high roof comes with lecci windows there take your time motor not a burn it motor :laughing: :sunglasses: :bulb:

Just had a closer look at the new one my mate has got,and I have to say,on looks inside,They don’t look to bad.

Obviously there are traits of the old models,but the upholstery is a bit lighter so it doesn’t have that doom and gloom look,but I don’t like the fact that thet’ve done away with the shelf between the 2 upper lockers.Also,they still haven’t made the lockers to go all the way across to the passenger side.A big minus when it’s sunny,as the bright light can come in at the top left hand corner.Yes they’ve put a sun visor there,but it’s a bit difficult to pull it down when you’re doing 56mph on the motorway.

The gearbox looks ok with the choice of auto or manual,with no 3rd pedal available to use.However,talking to another of our drivers who got his yesterday,if you use the auto option,it tends to go through all the gears including the splits,when you have some load on,giving you the nodding dog effect.What he has decided,is to start in manual and switch to auto at about 3l/h.Another thing is it only has 6 gears + splits making 12.And like other trucks,your selection comes up on the display in front of you.

The exhaust brake is on a stalk above the indicator stalk,cruise control is on the right hand side at the end of one of the other stalks,(don’t know which one) and also on the dash is the radio frequency/station.The usual remote controls for the radio are in the same place.

Ours have not got the sliding draw and the pull down flap/cupboard,but do have under bed storage if you lift it up.And they only have one bed,not two.

But the BIGGEST minus,is the new cassette type tacho.Which brainless frenchman decided to put it on the right hand side in front of your knee?Not only is the display difficult to see,I can see it getting damaged if,say,your motor gets used by a night driver,and you haven’t closed it properly,and he jumps in and doesn’t see it.

As for performance,well I can’t comment yet,but the 2 that have been allocated show 92kph,so I’ve been told,so who knows?

Oh.One more thing.The n/s wind deflector opens INWARDS and not out.Another great french idea.So if you run close coupled trailers,you’ll have to put the trailer brake on first,back under so far,connect up,pull the deflector out,and then finish connecting in the normal way.Brilliant huh?

I’ll let you all know once,(if) I get mine.if it’s any good.

had one on a 53 plate awful gear box quite fast on the flat but a right chugger up the banks reminded me a bit of the old gardner 240 , never seemed to be enough room for your left foot it was always rubbing against the floor hump , apparently the earlier models had the speed limiter connected to the throttle pedel , tilt the cab, disconnect the wire & hey presto road rocket …till you came to a hill :laughing:

Holy thread resurrection :wink:
10 year old thread :wink:

Nostalgia :slight_smile:

I used to drive a 380 bhp 26t rigid and it never got overtaken until screwed it back to 52, it never dropped a klick even on windy hill full loaded with tates.

What a ■■■■ I am I started to read it got down to DAF post and my heart sunk :cry: was readings a 10year old topic