Renault premium trucks radios not working

My company has taken recent delivery of 10 renault premium tractor units brand new 11 plates although I know 60 plates have this problem, unfortunatly in all of them the radios have at some time stopped working. Renault techs have been out and I think all they do is remove and refit the radio after disconnecting them. Now as an ex electronics engineer I think there is something much deeper going on here and it’s not the radio’s that are are at fault, but the internal security attached to the door switches ie when you turn off the ignition remove the key the radio is still on till the door is opened, so possibly some software glitch here shuts down the radio till it’s somehow reset. As a workaround i found removing / refitting fuse on position 61 or the radio supply fuse 20 amp does the reset. this is I hasten to ad an intermittant problem and may or may not be connected to the door remotes or ECU

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone else has had these problems or knows of an answer.

In this month’s issue of Truck & Driver, there is an article about Premiums … they went to Paris … or something ( haven’t really read it properly :blush: yet ) … but they’d had probs with the radio … cured by “moving the ariel, as it was touching the roof” :unamused:
I currently have probs with he radio in the Twingo i drive … it is only working on the left hand speaker … i am going to cure this … i have applied for another job :laughing:

rorymotorbiker:
I’d be very interested to hear if anyone else has had these problems or knows of an answer.

Best piece of advice you’ll get here - buy a decent truck next time

Think it was Kate who said how to fix this, simply remove key from ignition, and double lock it with the remote > press button twice, this switches all the electrics off, wait 2 mins and unlock, radio should now work.

how many live wires to the radio are there?
Normally they have 2- one from battery and one from ignition or ECU

rorymotorbiker:
As a workaround i found removing / refitting fuse on position 61 or the radio supply fuse 20 amp does the reset

Sounds like the fuse is wired into the memory which will be the live from the battery
Dose the radio power up when you take out the fuse?
when you removed the fuse did all the cab electrics cut off like intirior lights clock ect.?

I have some schematics somewhere of most manufatures radio wiring but cant think where the hell they are at the moment

we just had 3 new premiums and 1 had to go to the dealer for the radio to be fixed last week…it would come on then turn itself off after a few seconds?not sure what they did but it works now.

Try having the Radios re-programmed - Turning the master switch off or removing the fuse or the plugs out of the back of the Radio sometimes cures it but normally only works short term.
Should have stuck to Blaupunkt instead of Delphi :frowning:

Steve

I had this on a premium the week before last, driving round London stressed as anything trying to get to a drop on time and the radio kept coming on all by itself, in the end I just yanked the ■■■■ thing out and unplugged it.

Shame as it was a nice truck to drive, comfortable and pulled well too.

beefy4605:

rorymotorbiker:

Yeah thats always a helpful comment, “ahuhuhuhuhuhuhuh buy a decent truck” does not solve the issue does it fool.

Dogmatix:

beefy4605:

rorymotorbiker:

Yeah thats always a helpful comment, “ahuhuhuhuhuhuhuh buy a decent truck” does not solve the issue does it fool.

brand snobs whose make never ever goes wrong :unamused:
maybe its the volvo input thats at fault :laughing:

Lycanthrope:
Think it was Kate who said how to fix this, simply remove key from ignition, and double lock it with the remote > press button twice, this switches all the electrics off, wait 2 mins and unlock, radio should now work.

Yes it was me, and it works every time :smiley:

We have between 40 and 50 premiums, ranging from 06 to 60 plates, and they all respond to this treatment :slight_smile:
We find it is the newer models, 59 onwards that play up the most. My 60 plate will do this around 10 times a week. But I have never had to take it to be rectified at Renault, I can do it myself.

Hope this helps.

Indeed brand does not mean anything, I have a brand new DAF and have an issue with the radio that the local daf guy spent 2 hours looking at before telling me to book it in for a day to solve. My dad had an audi that went back 3 times because the radio kept turning off randomly. The sister truck to mine is constantly blowing bulbs, its luck of the draw :grimacing:

I had the same [ 10 reg ] Premium radio issue…it froze.
Unplugged 2 rear connectors, refitted after 2 mins, all well again.

I admit this only happened once luckily. Kate seems to have nailed it though.

206doorman:

mines done it 4-5 times,(09 reg) the first couple of times I used the unplug method but recently Kates advice has fixed it

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Denis F:

206doorman:

mines done it 4-5 times,(09 reg) the first couple of times I used the unplug method but recently Kates advice has fixed it

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

““Think it was Kate who said how to fix this, simply remove key from ignition, and double lock it with the remote > press button twice, this switches all the electrics off, wait 2 mins and unlock, radio should now work.””

This will only work if you have an electronic master switch - Some have manual ones fitted and will need to be turned off by hand - wether you un-plug the radio or remove the fuse or turn the master switch off they are all taking the power away allowing it to re-set which isn’t achieved by switching off the ignition.
They shouldn’t do it and if re-programming doesn’t work then a new radio - Just get it looked at while its still in warranty :smiley:

Steve