Renault Premium Stereo

Just been given a 60reg premium to replace my 56reg. In the old one had an adaptor lead to the stereo to connect my phone/ipod to. The new one however has a different stereo and hasn’t even got the option to connect to it as it hasn’t got the Aux function on the head unit.Would like to keep the standard display if possible. Rang JDS Renault but they were no help at all, they didn’t even know that Renault offer another head unit! Anyone help? Cheers

It was probably an after-market stereo?

On the Volvo’s (what Renaults are based on), the aux and USB are actually in a plate on the switch part of the dash, near the diff lock if I remember correctly, so have a look around, but if you can’t find it, can you not just swap stereo’s?

A lad I do work for always takes out the standard stereo and this buggers up the remote controls very often as, he never does the job properly! Occasionally, it provides you with an aux in -sometimes this is why he does it.

You could use an FM transmitter but it never seems to work so well. If not, your only option would be to replace the stereo. Plenty are available with aux in. I think you will struggle to get them to work with the standard display and remote controls though. Hope helps a bit :sunglasses:

Mines a 60 plate fh and has got the Bluetooth radio in

There are 2 radio options - basic (which you have) or Bluetooth which has a USB and aux connections in a separate module.

Steve

rgt1973:
Just been given a 60reg premium to replace my 56reg. In the old one had an adaptor lead to the stereo to connect my phone/ipod to. The new one however has a different stereo and hasn’t even got the option to connect to it as it hasn’t got the Aux function on the head unit.Would like to keep the standard display if possible. Rang JDS Renault but they were no help at all, they didn’t even know that Renault offer another head unit! Anyone help? Cheers

I had exactly the same problem as you with my 11reg premium. My local dealer, Border Trucks in Bellshill were helpful enough though. They explained that there is no way of giving the standard head unit an I-pod/aux-in function. The only way would be to replace the current head unit with the Bluetooth version. I wasn’t too bothered about spending some of my own cash to buy the head unit, but when Border Trucks came back with a price, I soon changed my mind. £560 for the new head unit including all the I-pod/aux-in connectors, mic for handsfree bluetooth etc. Then I would still have to book the truck into the dealer to have the ECU updated to accept the new head unit at yet more cost!!! Some members on here suggested one of those FM transmitters, but TBH I don’t find them all that good. So I’ve resorted to carrying some of my CD collection with me as the cheaper alternative.

I think you could replace the head unit with I-pod connectivity from halfords or something, but you would loose the steering wheel remote functions and the dash display, which from reading your post is something you don’t want.

Damian.

There are some aftermarket radios that will accept the steering wheel controls - i know one of our customers has a Kenwood radio/cd that still works off of the remote controls.

Steve

neversweat1:
There are some aftermarket radios that will accept the steering wheel controls - i know one of our customers has a Kenwood radio/cd that still works off of the remote controls.

Steve

How does this work? I thought the steering wheel controls worked through the CAN system. Do some aftermarket head units have CAN control connections?

damoq:

neversweat1:

Steve

How does this work? I thought the steering wheel controls worked through the CAN system. Do some aftermarket head units have CAN control connections?

Steering wheel radio controls aren’t can-bus - The controls are the same now as when the Premium first saw the light of day - its the interface in the back of the set you need.
The O.E radio is on a can-bus link as its a programmable ecu in its own right - I’ve not seen an aftermarket one that will interface with the display on the dash but the aftermarket ones will have to display all the info on the front of the radio - Bit of sum up the pros & cons of each i suppose.

Steve

neversweat1:

damoq:

neversweat1:

Steve

Steering wheel radio controls aren’t can-bus - The controls are the same now as when the Premium first saw the light of day - its the interface in the back of the set you need.
The O.E radio is on a can-bus link as its a programmable ecu in its own right - I’ve not seen an aftermarket one that will interface with the display on the dash but the aftermarket ones will have to display all the info on the front of the radio - Bit of sum up the pros & cons of each i suppose.

Steve

Thanks for that info Steve. I always thought that steering wheel controls was worked off the CAN system and were unique to the OE head unit. Now I know otherwise, I might look into getting an aftermarket head unit with an aux-in function for my premium.

Damian.

damoq:

neversweat1:

damoq:

neversweat1:

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that info Steve. I always thought that steering wheel controls was worked off the CAN system and were unique to the OE head unit. Now I know otherwise, I might look into getting an aftermarket head unit with an aux-in function for my premium.

Damian.

People change them all the time in the Master vans - again you loose the remote display but can still have the column controls - if you pull the set out there are 2 large oblong plugs that are the feed and speaker plugs and a small square yellow plug that comes from the steering column controls.

Steve

You could always get one with a slide out screen to help offset the loss of the display on the dash. You could even replace your current set up with a DVD/CD unit as well. Depends how much you want to spend.

I’ve had excellent experience with Kenwood, Sony and Pioneer equipment, granted not in a truck. :sunglasses:

halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor … yId_237503

That’s a reasonable price, the aux input is on the back though, so you’d have to run a wire to somewhere unless you wanted to pull it in and out everytime you wanted to connect something up.

I have just got a 12 plate premium.My boss ordered me the excellence so it came with the bluetooth radio.I can plug my iphone in and it charges it up.Not sure if i can make it play songs through it as i havent read the manual.There is also a socket there for an mp3 player but i dont have one.The thing i dont like about it is it jumps radio stations to easily when you come into range of another even though the station you were listening to is well within range.Still its only a minor thing i am very happy with it.:slight_smile:

If it need’s a handsfree fitted get a parott with bluetooth,they have a usb/ipod/mp3 slot and play into the cab speaker’s so no need to change headunit therefore not loosing steering control’s or,
A seller on ebay called connects2 sell’s aftermarket lead’s for radio’s i have one in my car and VW said i could not connect an auxilary device to the headunit.The lead fool’s the headunit into thinking my mp3 player is a cd multichanger,it cost around £25 and was easy to fit :grimacing:
Of course no of these worked on my Actros so i dug deep and fitted a new headunit and upgraded speaker’s,needless to say they’ll be coming out when i change truck’s.
Don’t forget Renault’s are 24v radio’s. :wink:

ellies dad:
If it need’s a handsfree fitted get a parott with bluetooth,they have a usb/ipod/mp3 slot and play into the cab speaker’s so no need to change headunit therefore not loosing steering control’s or,
A seller on ebay called connects2 sell’s aftermarket lead’s for radio’s i have one in my car and VW said i could not connect an auxilary device to the headunit.The lead fool’s the headunit into thinking my mp3 player is a cd multichanger,it cost around £25 and was easy to fit :grimacing:
Of course no of these worked on my Actros so i dug deep and fitted a new headunit and upgraded speaker’s,needless to say they’ll be coming out when i change truck’s.
Don’t forget Renault’s are 24v radio’s. :wink:

The one in my 11reg is a 12v. :confused:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Might sound daft but would the Blaupunkt based Renault head unit out of one of the older Premiums fit? I know some were 24v . Tried the FM transmitter but unless it was stuck right in front of the head unit it was rubbish!

Had similar problem with a 24V Blaupunkt head unit in a Kerax DXi, when connecting a parrot bluetooth unit. I used a dual output dropper similar to one in link below. This converts the red and yellow wires to parrot (constant 12V and switched 12V) to 12v and both are independent.

alfatronix.eu/content/docs/1 … put-pv.pdf

I use a Tecknet FM transmitter in our Premiums all the time, have no problems at all, as long as the AF function on the radio is switched off. The trucks are LHD but can’t see that making much difference, the main issue was finding a blank frequency to link the transmitter to. Our newly arrived Premiums have the top spec stereo, slightly more convenient with the incorporated USB port but no real advantage in sound quality TBH.

~ Craig

neversweat1:

Steve

Steve, can you please tell us which interface did he used.
I’m in Brazil but I’m responsible for Latin American market and in Chile I faced some Kerax with steering wheel (column) control but no radio, now we have to provide them one. Fitting an aftermarket unit is sort of piece of cake besides knowing exactly which interface to use with the control since it’s a little bit different of Renault ‘light’ vehicles once it controls also the board computer.

Thanks in advance.