Renault premium limp mode

Hi guys.looking for some advice.i have a 2008 Renault premium at work that keeps intermittently going into limp mode/reduced power but has no warnings on dash apart from an ABS fault.Also no faults showing on diagnostics apart from ABS one.Hoping someone might shed some light on the fault.
Thanks in advance.

Is it fitted with manual or auto transmission ?.

It could be anything from a sticking injector causing fuel pressure to drop in the rail/ sticking/blocked EGR valve/turbo wastegate sticking open to a pump problem. Some issues wont always cause the EML to come on. The only real way to find this kind of fault is have the diagnostics connected while driving and have a passenger reading live data to try and pinpoint the fault.
Btw- the abs issue wont have anything to do with it, just likely a wheel speed sensor has a bad connection/ needs replacing.

We had a Renault at the place I used to work go into limp mode quite often. Was in and out of Hill Hire to try and diagnose it. Eventually they gave up and sent it to Renault Bellshill. Within an hour they had it sorted and back on the road. Turns out there’s a little thermostat that hangs off the n/s mirror that was knackered. The mirror casing had been damaged and never replaced which was allowing lots of rain water into it, eventually buggering up the temp sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked the Ad Blue
Saw a note the other day that some motors had gone into limp mode when the AD Blue level dropped

Soldier z:
Saw a note the other day that some motors had gone into limp mode when the AD Blue level dropped

Also experienced that when the Adblue tank is topped up to full every day. Must go stale or something but letting it run down to half and then topping it up then sorts that out.

damoq:
We had a Renault at the place I used to work go into limp mode quite often. Was in and out of Hill Hire to try and diagnose it. Eventually they gave up and sent it to Renault Bellshill. Within an hour they had it sorted and back on the road. Turns out there’s a little thermostat that hangs off the n/s mirror that was knackered. The mirror casing had been damaged and never replaced which was allowing lots of rain water into it, eventually buggering up the temp sensor.

Not a lorry but I know of someone whose car kept going into limp mode, after months of problems and garages not being able to locate the problem - it turned out to be a speaker wire shorting out in the passenger door.

Conor:

Soldier z:

Also experienced that when the Adblue tank is topped up to full every day. Must go stale or something but letting it run down to half and then topping it up then sorts that out.

Used to get that on some of our Dafs. On our current MANs I notice that the thing will actually pop a warning up on the dash telling you not to top up the AdBlue if you keep topping up it up every day. Apparently the engine management kit needs to see how much AdBlue is being used and it can’t do this if you don’t let the level drop a bit.

Roymondo:

Conor:

Soldier z:

Used to get that on some of our Dafs. On our current MANs I notice that the thing will actually pop a warning up on the dash telling you not to top up the AdBlue if you keep topping up it up every day. Apparently the engine management kit needs to see how much AdBlue is being used and it can’t do this if you don’t let the level drop a bit.

I wonder how that works? Surely the truck`s computer will meter in the required amount of AdBlue, so will know exactly how much is being used? Strange.

Unlike the fuel, there is no feedback mechanism (e.g. oxygen content in the exhaust) to tell the computer whether it is getting things right. It knows how much AdBlue it thinks has been injected, but without confirmation from a falling level in the tank it doesn’t know if everything is hunky-dory. That would be my take on it at any rate.

damoq:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons why it goes in limp mode.
You wouldn’t expect it, but its true

Hi guys thanks for all your responses.With reference to shuggs question the truck is an auto.