Renault Premium BHP con

Can someone shed some light on a little something I heard yesterday?

Now as you know,I drive a 53 plate Renault Premium 420 DCI,and we have a further 15 at our yard.It’s also documented that Renault guarantee the fuel figures,at 9.7 mpg,well for our fleet anyhow,but don’t know about others.

During a conversation with a colleague of mine yestarday,it turns out that Renault can guarantee these figures because the 420 is actually only putting out 379bhp.Renault have downrated them.He got this information from another colleague of ours via a press reading.

Now apart from the fact that lower bhp means more gear changes,which in turn means less mpg,has anyone else heard of this,and if your gaffer also runs 420 Premiums,is he/she aware of this?

If it turns out to be true,once again the French have shafted us,but I would be interested in seeing this article.

Ken.

i do not know about this particular case.
but some manufacturers put psi figures on the side off trucks and not bhp.
psi is lower.

i think they were in a roadtest in one of the mags putting out 411 bhp at the crank. however… by the time it gets to the wheels its probably 380 ish as you said. rh freight have over 100 premiums… i think they had the 180 gardner in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . try pulling 40+ ton over the blanc/frejus!!!

i had a 51 420 dci and it didnt pull as well as the R reg i used to drive for city transport my last firm had one of ther 420s chipped it was putting out between 480 to 500 and it pulled like a train mpg improved aswell only downside it cost £700 :laughing: