Renault Premium 420 DCI

Does anyone on here operate a renault Premium 420 DCI 6x2 unit with the ZF gearbox?? looked at a 03 plate Privalige :blush: for £18k with 300000 kms. Quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Scania / Volvo !
Are they any good? Economical? Parts availability? Any advice would be appreciated.

dozer you’ve got a PM

Have a 03 420DCI opti-driver since Jan and I’m very pleased with it. :sunglasses:
Got it remapped to 475 horse and fitted 800l tanks and new PTO/Autolube for hauling max weight 44t quarry stone.
Easy to buy/fuel/service and run,what more could you want :question: :smiley:

P.S. have to laugh at the 580 topline Scania boys on day work with no nights out, my pile of stone tipped at the docks is ALWAYS alot bigger than theirs :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Thanks for the reply. I take it the opti driver is the gearbox? Is it semi auto or auto?

dozer:
Thanks for the reply. I take it the opti driver is the gearbox? Is it semi auto or auto?

It came to the Renault dealer as a semi auto,but as they had quoted me for the full auto they had to change the whole gearbox ecu at their expense :exclamation: :laughing:
Although Both my driver and I both keep it in full auto while loaded but run it in manual while empty.This is because we find that with our work being mostly urban runs the box tends to jump up and down the gears too much while running empty,but it is a godsend in heavy traffic etc.
The jake brake is very good as well nearly on a par with the below DAF’s intarder :exclamation: :open_mouth:
I drove a DAF XF 430 last week helping out another haulier for 3 days and my Premium will outpull it no probs, I felt far more tired at the end of the shift having to use the clutch pedal again with the 16sp ZF :exclamation: :frowning:

If you are buying from a Renault truck dealer make sure they “throw in” a 12 month “drive line top-up” warranty as part of your deal,it gives you an awful lot of peace of mind. :wink:

I had mine for two years no problems whatsoever, although I know it’s had a gearbox since. Which I think is quite common with the Renault ZFs, so like Big Truck said go for the extra warranty if offered, it was opened up to 460 bhp, and was good on fuel. Not sure about parts prices, as I had a maintenance contract on it. What I do know is that in two years, granted, it’s 1st two. It never lost a days work due to breakdown, and that was about 300,000 k

Thanks for your replies everybody. at least they weren’t all horror stories!

Big Truck:
P.S. have to laugh at the 580 topline Scania boys on day work with no nights out, my pile of stone tipped at the docks is ALWAYS alot bigger than theirs :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Just out of interest what does your Renault weigh in at then?

Paul

repton:

Big Truck:

Just out of interest what does your Renault weigh in at then?

Paul

6x2 420DCI,with 800l of fuel onboard,pulling a Kel-Berg T99 insulated tipper, running on steel wheels all round
I’ve a tare of 14500kg. :laughing: :wink: :sunglasses:

Now that Rob K is no longer around I can stick my head above the parapet and admit.

I Like Them :blush:

Drove one for Transalliance GBE and the only problem I ever had was an air dryer packing up and the parts were available the next morning by VOR.

The gearbox was a good installation but mine was left hand drive so that can make a huge difference

I like the look of the new shape premium but I’m sure I’ll have to wait another month or two for them to drop to £18K ! :laughing:

I really like the look of them too,but for some stupid reason they’ve got the diesel tank even closer to the ground than on mine :exclamation: :angry:
Also the SCR adblue engine crap puts me right off,every bulk tipper man overhere runs twin tanks for the cheap diesel in the South.
So to have the twin tanks plus the PTO tank up behind the cab and then have to contend with the stupid 70/100 litre adblue tank is a balls up :exclamation: :exclamation:
I know for a fact the dealers here that can only offer SCR engines are tearing their hair out and the Renault dealership has been making “enquires” at the highest level at the HQ in France to see if they can get these new Volvo EGR engines into their trucks.

Big Truck:
6x2 420DCI,with 800l of fuel onboard,pulling a Kel-Berg T99 insulated tipper, running on steel wheels all round

Is it not worth getting a set of alloys to break the ‘magic 30’ barrier?

marcustandy:

Big Truck:

Is it not worth getting a set of alloys to break the ‘magic 30’ barrier?

Break the “magic 30t barrier” every load,especially halfway through the week when she’s drunk some diesel :exclamation: :sunglasses:
Our version of VOSA, the DOE (dept of enviroment) have been known to let guy’s “tear on” after they have been put on an “official” weighbridge grossing 46 tonnes,you WILL get a bollocking but thats about it if your civil to them.
Things are a little bit more relaxed here in NI for truckers compared to the mainland. :smiley: :wink: